Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC Falcon

Honest Question, Who Knew We Had Amoeba D?

33 posts in this topic

This is not a criticism or an "I told you XYZ."

Did anyone that watched training camp, etc, have any idea our D even knew how to run an amoeba look pre-snap?

I would have been as surprised as if we came out in a 3-4.

It seems simple, but you have to have a lot of guys knowing where and how to move on the snap. A lot of coordination and being on the same page. That takes a lot of practice and doesn't seem something you can just put in for 1 week of D game planning.

So I wonder how many other things our new coaches have that we (or other teams) don't know about from open practices or training camp for this season? Exciting stuff.

From this thread:

Some incredibly smart guy said this:

I don't know if we have ever practiced it, but the Redskins had luck for a while 2 years ago against Peyton with the Colts with one down lineman and everybody else moving onto and off of the line before the snap. They still lost though iirc.

Hehe.

But wait, half the posters who said Nolan was holding back in Week 1 were called idiots and told NFL DCs don't hold back anything...

I'll own up to that. I thought it was a ridiculous notion that we would hide our hand while KC was seemingly scoring at will.

While I still think that (clearly) the gameplan for KC was a different one geared to that team's strengths and weaknesses, and not executed at all well in the first half, I was wrong to call out the poster who suggested we still had things up our sleeve. Completely wrong.

There's no way a defense learns what I watched last night just since getting home from Kansas City.

Gimme my crow.

vel likes this

Ok so I loved what the d did last night but one problem I see is that with sooo many guys moving around so much is if QBs quick snap the ball defensive guys could be badly out of position.

With Manning you know he's going to use most of the play clock so it worked well with him while it might not be as effective against a QB like Newton.

Ok so I loved what the d did last night but one problem I see is that with sooo many guys moving around so much is if QBs quick snap the ball defensive guys could be badly out of position.

With Manning you know he's going to use most of the play clock so it worked well with him while it might not be as effective against a QB like Newton.

Newton can't read a defense. He'll be D'ed much differently. In Nolan I trust.

JC Falcon likes this

But wait, half the posters who said Nolan was holding back in Week 1 were called idiots and told NFL DCs don't hold back anything...

I don't know if it's really a matter of "holding back" or just having different game plans against different teams.

That amoeba defense is succeptible to getting gashed by the run, as we saw a couple of times last night, and that was probably a bigger concern with KC than with Denver.

Ethanga62890 and BadMoonRising like this

I think it's a combo of holding back and game planning.

Even after last night, you had better believe there is still a lot of plays and defense we haven't seen yet that will come out at some point.

I think the gameplay for how to best KC was completely different which is why we ran such a different looking scheme

I think it's a combo of holding back and game planning.

Even after last night, you had better believe there is still a lot of plays and defense we haven't seen yet that will come out at some point.

I think the gameplay for how to best KC was completely different which is why we ran such a different looking scheme

Nolan gameplans instead of calling the same zone every week.

I think we are in awe of seeing that.

Who says we hid that D from KC? Maybe Nolan knew we did not need it and ran a different type of defense for Cassell based on film?

That defense may not work on every QB especially if they do not do a lot of pre snap reads.

I think Nolans brilliance is adapting the defense EACH week to play to the opposing teams weakness. We are not a single defensive scheme we are an adaptable defense that adjusts to Nolan's calls.

We have a DC that is very intelligent now. This was not the first time he faced Manning and he was not about to show his hand more than he had to in order to win against the Chiefs.

I know it is hard to believe that we have a DC that thinks about things like this, but I think we will all get used to it.

Not really. They were "out of position" a lot, Moore's first pick he was not at his spot. That's the point though. The QB can quick snap it but now he has no clue where the players are going. The corners never moved, it was just the safeties, LBs and DL. We showed a Cover 3 look and ran Cover 4. You can do that when the opposing WRs are slow like the Broncos. You can also do that when you get your hands on the WRs at the line, which is what we did a good bit.

I don't know if it's really a matter of "holding back" or just having different game plans against different teams.

That amoeba defense is succeptible to getting gashed by the run, as we saw a couple of times last night, and that was probably a bigger concern with KC than with Denver.

What we did in KC was what BVG did all 4 years. We played very simple football. Nothing new. Yes, we didn't have to, but that's holding back. Why play your ace when you can win with a jack? Yes, we've been behind stopping the run lately, but we were getting off the field. 33% on third down. 4 TOs. If I have to give up 100 yards to get that, I'll take it.

What happened with ya boy Decker though? No plays beyond 20 yards allowed by the defense. Forced somebody else other than Thomas to win. McGahee stepped up, but nobody else and that's what the D knew and capitalized on it. The only reason it was so close was the offense settling for FGs instead of TDs off turnovers.

Not really. They were "out of position" a lot, Moore's first pick he was not at his spot. That's the point though. The QB can quick snap it but now he has no clue where the players are going. The corners never moved, it was just the safeties, LBs and DL.

What we did in KC was what BVG did all 4 years. We played very simple football. Nothing new. Yes, we didn't have to, but that's holding back. Why play your ace when you can win with a jack? Yes, we've been behind stopping the run lately, but we were getting off the field. 33% on third down. 4 TOs. If I have to give up 100 yards to get that, I'll take it.

What happened with ya boy Decker though? No plays beyond 20 yards allowed by the defense. Forced somebody else other than Thomas to win. McGahee stepped up, but nobody else and that's what the D knew and capitalized on it. The only reason it was so close was the offense settling for FGs instead of TDs off turnovers.

Decker didn't have a good game. He had one chance to make a big play but had a clumsy stumble that cause him to miss the ball. He looked like a guy that isn't recovering that well from a torn MCL.

The Falcons defense played a great game, better than I thought they were capable of in this game.