Durrty's "keys To The Broncos Game"

Durrty

First off, let me say that I am more excited about this season than any other season under the TD/Smitty era...this team has so much potential, more potential than any other team in the NFL to win multiple Superbowls. We have the weapons on offense...not all the weapons on defense, but enough and a coordinator who can really scheme to those players' strengths. We've had a lot of success over the years and I expect that to continue going forward, but we have to win on the big stage to really begin cementing the Falcons has the threat across the league. Now, with all that said, here's a couple of things I believe are key to our success against the Broncos on MNF.

1) Our OL vs. the Broncos pass rush.

As much as I enjoyed seeing Ryan stepping up into the pocket and making throw after throw, for big gain after big gain, I'm still not sold yet. I do see marginal improvement, but the real test lies when those guys face a true pass rush. The Chiefs were pretty banged up on defense (not to make any excuses for them) but for me to truly place my faith in our OL, they have to survive the test. I believe McNabb (yes, McNabb) pointed out on Playbook about our OL's ability to chip rushers. Not to mention, Polite being a great addition for our pass protection and even Turner has contributed as well. If we can continue what we did in KC against the Broncos, we won't have any issue putting up the points. Creativity in the redzone is a must though, so hopefully Koetter has some things designed so drives won't stall and we won't be limited to field goals. That's an area that needs to improve as the season progresses.

2) Mike Nolan vs. Peyton Manning.

It's Peyton Manning...aaannnd he's going to score on us...let's keep it real. The loss of Grimes will impair our defense a little because Grimes was excellent in man-to-man coverage and his ability to shift and adjust to routes can't be replaced with the depth we have on the roster. He was a playmaker. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but if our defense can't slow the Broncos no-huddle, then it WILL be a long night and the game will be placed on the shoulders of Ryan and the offense to keep putting points on the board. I don't necessarily agree with shootouts because the game is going to come down to who's defense can stop the other's offense on one drive...and with our current situation in the secondary, I don't like our chances against the General if it came to that. I can't place my faith in Owens yet either...all I know is he can chase a sucka down with his speed. Other than that, he hasn't shown he can handle nickel responsibilities. All I can say on this is I trust "the Nolan". I trust that he's going to have a plan in place to mask the loss of Grimes while attempting to keep pressure on Manning. One thing is key though, we cannot and I absolutely mean CANNOT allow Manning to see what we're doing in the secondary. If we show him coverage, it's game over. I'm really hoping Nolan pulled out tapes of Manning's run-ins with the Patriots. Belichick dialed up some serious blanket coverages to stifle Manning in those years. By the way, I didn't mention our pass rush on purpose. Manning is too good to allow a game to get away from him because he doesn't have time to throw. The man will find a way to get his OL to give him the time he needs. No pressure sacks in this game guys, I only expect coverage sacks from our defense.

You are absolutely right about the defense not showing its hand against Peyton.

He's all smoke and mirrors.

We just gotta get in position and stay there before the snap. Dont give him any blitz moves or pre-snap reads.

It's gonna be tough, but im not buying into the Peyton kool-aid chuggers like everyone else.

Dude is old, slow, and physically limited. HIs passes are short and wobbly. He aint going over 15 yards a throw.

Sack him hard and often and he will crumble.

You are absolutely right about the defense not showing its hand against Peyton.

He's all smoke and mirrors.

We just gotta get in position and stay there before the snap. Dont give him any blitz moves or pre-snap reads.

It's gonna be tough, but im not buying into the Peyton kool-aid chuggers like everyone else.

Dude is old, slow, and physically limited. HIs passes are short and wobbly. He aint going over 15 yards a throw.

Sack him hard and often and he will crumble.

Been saying all week that it's impossible to be away for the game for a year and not be rusty.

If Peyton comes in here and is the old Peyton, then, he is just better than anyone else. Think it's more likely, that he plays well, but not at the uber-elite level we've seen in the past.