Flying Under The Radar

irish_falcon

Maybe it's just me, but in well over 10 years as a Falcons fan, I can't remember a game like this one. Despite going in as 3 point favourites with the Bookies, absolutely ALL the so called experts seem to be picking the Broncos to win. I find it astonishing, because Law of averages would suggest that a few people would pick us, but so far the only "expert" I've seen who's picking us is Donovan McNabb... a man who requires a pretty loose definition of the word expert.

I'm OK with it... takes a bit of pressure off which is nice, and don't get me wrong Denver have a team that can cause us issues... but this game is a coin flip at worst. Really looking forward to it...

Well yeah, It just means they are being under-rated. And obviously there is pressure... there is always pressure, but personally I'd almost always be more comfortable going into a sporting event when expectations are low.

And while the team has had some poor games in the national spotlight like those playoff games, i'm not sure the spotlight is the reason for those poor performances

I think that other players in the league see and know what we are doing. but the announcers and sports reporters have came to terms that the falcons will be good in the regular season. but we will not get the respect we deserve until we go deep into the playoffs. this is our year! we need to show our dominance game in and game out because ATL is the NFC's New team to beat going forward.

Well yeah, It just means they are being under-rated. And obviously there is pressure... there is always pressure, but personally I'd almost always be more comfortable going into a sporting event when expectations are low.

And while the team has had some poor games in the national spotlight like those playoff games, i'm not sure the spotlight is the reason for those poor performances

Not to argue with you, but I respectfully disagree. It's not just coincidential that ATL seems to perform less than stellar in playoff games/Nationally televised games vs reg season game in these type games, and I can't put my finger on the reason, hopefully this trend ends Mon night.

Maybe it's just me, but in well over 10 years as a Falcons fan, I can't remember a game like this one. Despite going in as 3 point favourites with the Bookies, absolutely ALL the so called experts seem to be picking the Broncos to win. I find it astonishing, because Law of averages would suggest that a few people would pick us, but so far the only "expert" I've seen who's picking us is Donovan McNabb... a man who requires a pretty loose definition of the word expert.

I'm OK with it... takes a bit of pressure off which is nice, and don't get me wrong Denver have a team that can cause us issues... but this game is a coin flip at worst. Really looking forward to it...

Believe it or not...Colinsworth picked us v Denver on Inside the NFL.

I cringed when I heard it.....he was actually complimentary regarding the offense at KC last week, too.

Flying under the radar is for cowards. It's like saying you're a fan of football - but not always a fan of the Falcons. It allows you to team-hop and save face when your current favorite isn't doing so well.

As it pertains to the team - I doubt the good players care if the pundits favor them or not. If it takes a little disrespect to get you fired-up enough to win, you are probably a marginal talent anyway.

Believe it or not...Colinsworth picked us v Denver on Inside the NFL.

OMG. I think it's time to grab what I can and head for the underground shelter, cause the sky surely must be falling! Maybe I've missed it, but I don't remember him ever picking us or saying anything positive about us. I always wondered if someone from the Falcons pissed in his cornflakes when he was playing!

Being on Monday night is a sign of respect in and of itself. League has to put every team in a prime time game, but JAX and CLE get one a year, Falcons get 3 and, if they're playing well, will undoubtedly get flexed into another.

Problem with "flying under the radar" is that you can't be a super bowl contending team and fly under the radar.

The Falcons can lose this game and still make the playoffs and make a deep playoff run, but a win here makes a statement about how Ryan and the team have matured into a very good team.

A win also gives them a 2 game lead on the Saints/Panther loser and probably a game up on the winner and the Bucs [just don't see Giants going 0-2].

And, the stats say that 2-0 teams get to the postseason a lot more often than 1-1 teams. Should be lots of motivation for this one.

McNabb is the only one with recent NFL experience. I trust his word more then some dudes just watching the game. Get used to it, once we smack Manning we will still be overshadowed by either Cam's sophomore slump, the debacle in New Orleans, the Melt down in philly, or Rodgers crying about the refs not giving him the flags he payed for. They'll talk more about Mannings possible decline or what the players around him did wrong, more then what we did right.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

not that it matters, but there ya go

Half of them got the CHI GB game wrong. All of them missed at least 5 picks last week, really doesn't matter. Can't anticipate that the Saints would look that bad last week or that the Giants would be that flat first week, or that they'd get the Eagles and Detroit "right".

Was watching all the "experts" jump on the CHI bandwagon thinking- when did they fix the Oline problems that killed them last year?

Last time the Falcons played on national scene was not pleasant, can't undo that completely without a deep playoff run; but a win here gives the fanbase hope and gains the Falcons some respect from outside Atlanta.