Why Is There A Lack Of Respect For The Nfc South?

Falconsfan567

This thought finally came to me tonight. I was thinking. Why does the NFC South always get overlooked? Why has our division never gotten the respect it deserves? Then it finally hit me. Think back to when the NFC South was formed before the start of the 2002 season. Then about the 4 teams in the division and where they were as franchises at that point in time, the Falcons, Panthers, Buccaneers and Saints.

Falcons - Never had even posted back-to-back winning seasons let alone did anything much of note outside of a couple meaningful seasons here or there.

Panthers - 1995 expansion team that had only had 1 good year in 1996.

Buccaneers - Lost their first 26 games they ever played and after making the playoffs in 1982 didn't see the playoffs again until 1997.

Saints - Took them 26 years just to have a winning season.

None of those teams had a cult following and none of them drew large media attention. So when the division was created the division pretty much became an after though. Even after having been one of the most successful divisions in football we still get overlooked as a whole.

The success of the team's was highly inconsistent (eg. Worst to First) when the division was first made and now the Falcons have yet to win a playoff game under Ryan, the Saints are continuing to slip after the Super Bowl win especially now that Payton is suspended, and the Panthers and Bucs are trying to piece things together still.

Edited by Psychic Gibbon

Well, you have your teams in the NFC East with so much tradition and history. Then you have the NFC North with the same tradition and history. Then you have the sorry @zz NFC West that nobody respect at all besides the gold diggers.

The South is the 3rd most respected division in the NFC and rightfully so.

It's not a lack of respect it's what Falcohol wrote and our history of suckage by all teams in our division in spite of the Superbowl victories. The teams in the NE and Midwest have more history tradition and wins.

We get the coverage on Saturdays and they get the coverage on Sundays. I don't expect that to change in my lifetime.

I wouldn't call it a lack of respect. When they talk about us they always mention its one of the toughest divisions in the league. They always talk about how all 4 of our QBs are good to great. I think its more of a lack of attention. Saints get a lot but thats expected.

I would. Whenever anyone talks about the toughest divisions in the NFL it's always the NFC East, AFC East, NFC North and AFC North. NFC South never comes up in those discussions. Heck I can remember even watching a show and one of the guys didn't even know the name of our division or all the teams that played in it. If that's not a lack of respect then I don't know what is.

It's not a lack of respect it's what Falcohol wrote and our history of suckage by all teams in our division in spite of the Superbowl victories. The teams in the NE and Midwest have more history tradition and wins.

We get the coverage on Saturdays and they get the coverage on Sundays. I don't expect that to change in my lifetime.

Did anyone read my OP? I said the lack of history and lack of success the 4 teams had in our division when it was formed. But since the new alingment the NFC South has been one of, if not the best, division in the NFL. But does anyone ever say the NFC South is the best division in the NFL? Nope. All they mention is the NFC East, AFC East, NFC North and AFC North.

Did anyone read my OP? I said the lack of history and lack of success the 4 teams had in our division when it was formed. But since the new alingment the NFC South has been one of, if not the best, division in the NFL. But does anyone ever say the NFC South is the best division in the NFL? Nope. All they mention is the NFC East, AFC East, NFC North and AFC North.

I'm saying we do get respect now more than ever just not as much coverage. Look at how many prime time games we've gotten over the last 10 to 12 years relative to our history.