Is The Falcons Organization Trying To Wipe Out The Memory Of Michael Vick?

bdog 29

Fair enough. I remember when it happened, and didn't give it much thought, but I've noticed over the years that it gets trumped out as a sign of Blank's failures. I just (at the time) thought of it as an owner pushing around his franchise player, no big deal. I can see how it might be taken differently, and NOVA, I realize in context that it is worse than I thought.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with it was this. When Vick first got hurt we were all told that he would miss 6 weeks top. That he would come back in plenty of time to save the season. But Vick took his own sweet time and even when doctors were reportedly telling Vick he was fine, Vick was still saying he was hurt and couldn't play and it wasn't until after Reeves got fired that Vick finally came back. Blank choose Vick over Reeves and it set the franchise back several years.

Reeves was a liability after 98. At least when Blank bought the team, he gave Reeves the chance to keep his job. Any other new owner would have canned Reeves in 2001 after 3 losing seasons. Reeves deserved to be fired in 2003 after a season where the entire team was gutless and lacked confidence and that was down to the coaches - his 4th losing season in 5 years.

Vick had his flaws, but it would have been ridiculous beyond belief to have cut Vick after 2003 and "chosen" Reeves. Vick was argably the beest pure athelte in the NFL and the sky was the limit if a good HC and OC could find a way t omake him in to a top 5-10 passer.

Whatever people say about Vick, he made us relevent to the media and was a huge fan draw. For a team that was otherwise irreevent to the national media and with the worst fansbase in the NFL, canning Vick simply want an option - hence the huge contract after 2004. An organisation that was a laughing stock for letting 2 HoFers walk in the 90's, was never going to run the risk of letting Vick go and watching develop in to an elite QB somehere else.

Vick could have saved Reeves job ...He did not ...Vick made quotes around the time that really put light on his character and those quotes really lead to Reeves firing which happened in season ...Reeves to his credit still stood by Vick even went to prison ..Reeves was a stand up guy that deserved to be treated better then he did in 03'

Good to know. I was in college at the time so my memory is pretty fuzzy.

Vick could have saved Reeves job ...He did not ...Vick made quotes around the time that really put light on his character and those quotes really lead to Reeves firing which happened in season ...Reeves to his credit still stood by Vick even went to prison ..Reeves was a stand up guy that deserved to be treated better then he did in 03'

How was Revves mistreated? He was coming off 4 losing season in 5 years, and a 2003 season that was amongst the poorest that this franchise has ever seen. The whole team, including Reeves, clearly lost all confidence with the injury to Vick.

Wasn't Reeves contract up at the end of the 2003 season? IIRC, when Mr Blank informed Reeves that his contract wouldn't be renewed, Reeves refused to coach out the last 3 games of the year and left.

Follow up question, is their a perception that Vick wanted to get Reeves fired? Because I loved Dan Reeves as a coach, and still feel like he was the scapegoat for losing because Vick got hurt. Doug Johnson sucked ***.

Yep because it's true.

Reeves was a liability after 98. At least when Blank bought the team, he gave Reeves the chance to keep his job. Any other new owner would have canned Reeves in 2001 after 3 losing seasons. Reeves deserved to be fired in 2003 after a season where the entire team was gutless and lacked confidence and that was down to the coaches - his 4th losing season in 5 years.

Vick had his flaws, but it would have been ridiculous beyond belief to have cut Vick after 2003 and "chosen" Reeves. Vick was argably the beest pure athelte in the NFL and the sky was the limit if a good HC and OC could find a way t omake him in to a top 5-10 passer.

Whatever people say about Vick, he made us relevent to the media and was a huge fan draw. For a team that was otherwise irreevent to the national media and with the worst fansbase in the NFL, canning Vick simply want an option - hence the huge contract after 2004. An organisation that was a laughing stock for letting 2 HoFers walk in the 90's, was never going to run the risk of letting Vick go and watching develop in to an elite QB somehere else.

I totally disagree man. 1999 was a disaster because both Jamal and Chandler got hurt for extended periods of time. By the time 2000 happened most of the defense that was the backbone of the 1998 Falcons team was gone. So natural the Falcons had a bad team. Team may have only won 7 games in 2001 but they were better than a 7 win team as showed in 2002 when they won 9 games and beat the Packers in the playoffs. Plus Vick had a great season that year throwing the ball. 16 TD, 8 INT and almost 3,000 yards passing in addition to his rushing. Reeves should not have been fired in 2003 but because Vick wanted Reeves gone (why? I have no idea) that's what Blank did.

Uh, no. Vick didn't do anything impressive that game. It was a defensive show for the Falcons. http://www.pro-footb...00301040gnb.htm

Beat me too it. That game was won by the defense.

It was Reeves' job to stock the roster with enough talent to avoid the meltdowns in 1999 and 2003 - and his personnel decisons over the last 3-4 years were abysmal - like losing the 5th Pick in the 2000 draft trading for Reggie Kelly, the Peerless Price trade, drafting TJ Duckett the same year we signed Dunn to a sizeable FA contract. The 2003 draft was a total car wreck (as bad as any other in franchise history)and the 2003 season the most gutless ever. Even Petrino's 2007 squad with Harrington at QB played with more heart than the 2003 team. Reeves had been given every opportunity to right the ship, and after just 28 wins in 5 years after the SB he had to go.

The year prior we went to playoffs and were the first team to beat Packers in Lambeau field...We were a holding call away from tying up the divisional playoff game in 02'

Our season was lost in 03' when Vick went down in pre season .So what Blank do? he went out and hired Jim Mora who was immature and years down the road fire him

so what good did firing Dan Reeves do for the franchise but hire a HC that was not ready for the position and bring in a GM that made just as bad player management decisions and the sad thing is RICH MCKAY is still working for this franchise

So are you questioning Blank now?

The year prior we went to playoffs and were the first team to beat Packers in Lambeau field...We were a holding call away from tying up the divisional playoff game in 02'

Our season was lost in 03' when Vick went down in pre season .So what Blank do? he went out and hired Jim Mora who was immature and years down the road fire him

so what good did firing Dan Reeves do for the franchise but hire a HC that was not ready for the position and bring in a GM that made just as bad player management decisions and the sad thing is RICH MCKAY is still working for this franchise

So Reeves gets a Free pass for 4 losing seasons in 5 years yet Mora get ripped for 1 losing yar in 3? The team was more better under Mora than Reeves, and Nora would have been here a longer thad he not run his mouth about being willing to coach in Washington State or wherever it was.

McKay was a decent GM who didn't get the time in that post that he deserved. He did a masterful job navigating us through the absolute cap mess that Reeves left us in, and bult a good competitive team. The fact that he was retained and teh GM's duties spiplit in 2 (with TD taking over personnel issues) whoen how highly he is regarded.

Owners, GMs, coaches and players ALL make mistakes. The good ones just don't make as many as everyone else. Your problem is that you have massiverly unrealistic and ridiculous expectations of perfection from everyone. We are averagibg just under 11 wins a seaosn (44 wins in 65 games), yet you can find nothing postiive to say about our owner, our current or former GM our coachins staff or players.

Demanding near perfection doesn't make you a good fan. It just prove that you have no idea of the reality of competing or any sense of perspective of how diffifult it is to be successful in the NFL, let alone achieve the impossible standards that you demand.

Follow up question, is their a perception that Vick wanted to get Reeves fired? Because I loved Dan Reeves as a coach, and still feel like he was the scapegoat for losing because Vick got hurt. Doug Johnson sucked ***.

Nah I think Vick respected Reeves and I still believe if Reeves had stayed, Vick would maybe have been a different person

No I didn't read the OP's post.

To answer the title, Who cares...Vick plays for Philly and we are in season 6 without him and have a big nationally televised game Monday night against Peyton Manning and the Broncos. Today Vick is just a Qb on one of the other 31 other teams that doesn't play for the Falcons and doesn't play us this week. Rational fans don't care about trivial crap articles that dismiss or ignore Vicks tenure here. It's called moving on.

Monday night...Falcons/Broncos

Go Falcons!

No I didn't read the OP's post.

To answer the title, Who cares...Vick plays for Philly and we are in season 6 without him and have a big nationally televised game Monday night against Peyton Manning and the Broncos. Today Vick is just a Qb on one of the other 31 other teams that doesn't play for the Falcons and doesn't play us this week. Rational fans don't care about trivial crap articles that dismiss or ignore Vicks tenure here. It's called moving on.

Monday night...Falcons/Broncos

Go Falcons!

So you don't think he has a point when the official AtlantaFalcons.com website puts up an article flashing back to a game from 2004 they don't mention the guy who had the biggest impact that game by name?

http://www.atlantafa...82-91131df4579e

Just read this thing on the homepage called the time machine and they're talking about our game against the Broncos in 04. The article talks about everyone from Rod Smith to Peerless Price to Kevin Mathis but there's no mention at all of our QB that game, Vick. This is funny to many especially when you consider that this might have been Michael Vick's best game...ever. He threw for over 250 yards and ran for 100 and also threw two TD's. Why they'd choose this of all games to ignore Vick beats me.

I can understand why they wouldn't bring him up but Michael Vick is a part of our history, good and bad. Despite what may have happened, I don't think it's right to completely ignore Vick in the write up for that game.

Lets move on please.

Don't care about the point. The point is moot. The article is/was a waste of time. The OP may be right but it is irrelevant. History of 2004 can't be re-written based on one nothing throw away crap article that passes off as "journalism". The facts and history of Vick in Atlanta will stand on their own by the NFL. Dude writing the blog, article or whatever is either a hack or a yesman. Who cares? This is not the offseason. By the way, We get the same garbage from our national media. Selective facts, memory, what have you. You should be used to it. The crap article and debate is not relevant to 2012 or this season. I've already wasted too many brain cells on this conspiracy theory whether it be valid or not. Today it is irrelevant.

Trends

Tackles

Turnovers

TD

Miscellaneous

Pos

Edit

Defense/Special Teams

Opp

Status

% Start

Pts Allow

Sack

Safe

TFL

Int

Fum

Rec

TD

Blk

Kick

4 Dwn

Stops

3 And

Outs

Yds Allow

Fan Pts

DEF  

Houston

(Hou - DEF)

Mia Sun

1:00 pm 87% - - - - - - - - - - - 0.00

Reeves was the same man who also brought the Falcons to a Super Bowl in 98' something our franchise has never done..In 02' we had playoff success ..That should have bought him the 2003' year . Jim Mora brought us to the NFC champ game in 2004 ...Back to Back losing seasons by Mora where the team collapsed in 2nd half made Blank pull the trigger on Mora tenure ..Plus Mora brought it on himself by talking to colleges that he basically wanted out regardless .

As for your 2nd paragraph outside the spelling errors I think its quite foolish to be honest . 4 years is a lot in todays NFL .Yes we have had regular season success and yes TD , Ryan and Smith have brought stability back into the franchise but we are no closer to achieving our ultimate goal which is to win a championship

The sooner you realize that the better understanding you will have of my opinion . You start to notice a trend and the longer you stick with that trend the time will pass bye and you keep hoping and changing the inter-parts of the foundation until you finally reached where you cant make any more changes and you start the rebuilding process

Its coming UKFALC ..This either ends in championship or it ends in blood shed..There is no in between man..There is no good job good effort keep losing these playoff games and everything will be alright..Sooner or later there will be more and more fans voicing displeasure with play incompetency, season ticket sales will be down and Blank will be feeling it in his pocketbook ..

I dont know what world you live in Ukfalc but you either get it done or you dont..

I live in the real world. The one where our chances of winnin your divison are 1 in 4, the odds of making the playoffs are less than 40%, our chances of going beyond the divisional round are 1 in 8, and any teams chances of winning the super bowl are a 1 in 32 longshot.

Demanding instant champiosnhip success an replacing your FO and coaching staff every 2-3 years when they don't achieve it, is the route not just to failure, but to the NFL's cellar. It also ignores the realities of how difficult it is to win titles in the NFL.

You talk about us being "no closer to winning a championship", but

having a team that averages 11 wins a season and was good enough to win 13 games in 2010 make us a LOT closer than weve been at any time in our history, aside from 1 magical season in 98. We need to appreciate what we have and focus on building upon it. The last thing that we should be doing, is tearing it down because it doesn't meet the unrealistic expectations of clueless fans who demand instant gratification.

There's a difference between moving on and trying to act like Vick never played for the Falcons and that the years from 2001-2006 never happened which most people seem to want to do. I can't do that. As maddening as it was to watch Vick play at times I also had moments where I enjoyed it.

Good for you man...Put some Old Vick tape on and have you a nice jerk session of what might have been while many of us fans focus on the fact that a rejuvenated Peyton Manning comes to town and plays our beloved Falcons in 3 days who by the way is respected as being a **** of a lot better than either Vick or Ryan. As a Falcon fan I'm pulling for Ryan. Go ahead with your sentimental memories of the "good" Vick who by the way wasn't good but just hadn't got caught yet.

Good for you man...Put some Old Vick tape on and have you a nice jerk session of what might have been while many of us fans focus on the fact that a rejuvenated Peyton Manning comes to town and plays our beloved Falcons in 3 days who by the way is respected as being a **** of a lot better than either Vick or Ryan. As a Falcon fan I'm pulling for Ryan. Go ahead with your sentimental memories of the "good" Vick who by the way wasn't good but just hadn't got caught yet.

Wow. It's amazing what you will read on this MB. I have a group of people here convinced that I suck Matt Ryan's **** and put his wants and needs ahead of what's best for the Falcons and now here you are saying I'm doing the same with Vick. Wow. There's a reason this place is a great place to come and blow off PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL and have some good laughs.

http://www.atlantafa...82-91131df4579e

Just read this thing on the homepage called the time machine and they're talking about our game against the Broncos in 04. The article talks about everyone from Rod Smith to Peerless Price to Kevin Mathis but there's no mention at all of our QB that game, Vick. This is funny to many especially when you consider that this might have been Michael Vick's best game...ever. He threw for over 250 yards and ran for 100 and also threw two TD's. Why they'd choose this of all games to ignore Vick beats me.

I can understand why they wouldn't bring him up but Michael Vick is a part of our history, good and bad. Despite what may have happened, I don't think it's right to completely ignore Vick in the write up for that game.

We never had a QB play for Falcons named Vick. Did we?