Julio Is Worth The Price

Didn't see it posted;

Jones worth the price:When the Falcons investigated whether to trade up for wide receiver Julio Jones in the 2011 draft, one of the conversations they had with Alabama head coach Nick Saban persuaded them to do the deal. Saban told the Falcons that Jones was one of his favorite players, if not his favorite, he ever coached. Hearing Saban speak so glowingly made it easier for the Falcons to surrender two first-round picks, one second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland for the Browns' sixth overall pick, which they used on Jones. Now that the Falcons have had Jones for two seasons, they say some of the same things Saban did.

Falcons officials and coaches say Jones, 23, has a work ethic to match his talent. He showed that talent in Atlanta's opening-day win, reeling in six catches for 108 yards and two touchdowns. Jones now has at least one receiving touchdown in each of his past five games, the longest active streak in the NFL. And now Jones gets ready to face Peyton Manning and the Broncos. Meanwhile, the price that Atlanta surrendered to Cleveland to get Jones can be fully computed. Cleveland turned Atlanta's 2011 first-round pick into defensive tackle Phil Taylor, the Falcons' 2011 second-round pick into Greg Little, the Falcons' 2011 fourth-round pick into fullback Owen Marecic, the Falcons' 2012 first-round pick into quarterback Brandon Weeden, and the extra fourth-round pick as part of the package to trade up for Jones' former Alabama teammate, running back Trent Richardson. Suddenly, the picks Atlanta surrendered don't seem so steep

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Negatorris

Player like Julio don't come out of the draft every year, as much hard as it is to believe. The kid is special, and we wouldn't have gotten anyone better in this year's draft.

I'm sticking with my original thoughts. No WR is worth five picks these days. Julio will be a beast. He could be the #1 WR in the league by February. But that probably won't be what gets us a Lombardi. Look at Fitz, Megatron, Johnson, Welker, Randy, you name it. None of them have a Lombardi.

It takes way more than the number one WR. We still can't get a pass rush from our DLine. And now we can't run the ball or stop the run. We have a shaky CB unit and no MLB. We could have fllled some of those spots and still gotten a decent WR.

I've always said it was worth it. You don't get andre Johnson, calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald type talents at 27. 6'3 230 physical freaks that perennially go for 100 rec 1500 yds 10 TD and dominate games. That's what Julio will be as long as he stays healthy

They dominate games.....they just don't win championships.

Julio has 2 more years at making 4-5million ..Then its going to jump to about 10 mil per...So add that onto what we gave up to get him were going to have to pay him a astronomical contract while giving up a astronomical of picks

So what?

Here's a clue - to have good players on your team you have to pay for them.

To have one of the best WRs in the NFL? Yeah, gotta pay for that too.

Or...we could just wallow in mediocrity for years waiting for some 7th round gem or udfa like Victor Cruz to come along. We'd be waiting a looong time.

Thank God, Dimitroff wasnt idle in that draft and made the ballsiest move in Atlanta draft history.

Edited by HouseofEuphoria

I'm sticking with my original thoughts. No WR is worth five picks these days. Julio will be a beast. He could be the #1 WR in the league by February. But that probably won't be what gets us a Lombardi. Look at Fitz, Megatron, Johnson, Welker, Randy, you name it. None of them have a Lombardi.

It takes way more than the number one WR. We still can't get a pass rush from our DLine. And now we can't run the ball or stop the run. We have a shaky CB unit and no MLB. We could have fllled some of those spots and still gotten a decent WR.

Fitz, Welker and Randy all played in the Super Bowl. All three of them played vital roles for their respective teams. I don't think you have a very sound argument.

how are the Pats and Steelers perennial winners when they would never make a move like this

snapback.pngTuggle2, on 14 September 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

I want to be a perennial winner. The only way a perennial winner gets a player like this is a trade similar to what we did.

Didn't say you have to, said the only way you get a player like him is to. I'm glad we did.