Anyone Think Matt Ryan Can Finish

J-RoC770

Nah, I don't think that's realistic and I don't really want him to....

Let me explain. If he hits a completion percentage that high then that tells me that he's hitting a lot of check downs and "safe" passes.

I'd be happier with a lower percentage rate that hit on some big, explosive passes.

I think that would probably require more screen passes than would be healthy for this offense. The Saints put up that number because they have a bunch of guys that are perfect in the screen game. I really don't see the Falcons throwing a hundred screens to the backs this year.

Let me explain. If he hits a completion percentage that high then that tells me that he's hitting a lot of check downs and "safe" passes.

I'd be happier with a lower percentage rate that hit on some big, explosive passes.

How about 66% with some big explosive passes? OK, OK, 65%, but that's my final offer;)

Know it's kind of silly to talk about this so early, but it's so much better than the discussions we were having this time last year.

With a 7o to 75 completion percentage? I think so, he has been looking sharp in the preseason and did extremely well in week 1, what is the record for completion percentage in a season anyways?

A big reason Brees' completion % has been so high is there are a lot of screen and dump down passes. So basically he always has someone to throw to. That's not to take away from his accuracy on more difficult throws but it certainly increases that percentage. Finally the screen and dump down passes are being used so I would say he will break 70% this year. I don't think they will go crazy like some people thought and take a lot of high risk shots downfield but there certainly will be an increase. If it's there take it otherwise check down especially with a delayed route from someone staying in to block then breaking out.

I agree. Beat me to it, only I was going to explain the whole game manager thing and why I like them...LOL!!!

A big reason Brees' completion % has been so high is there are a lot of screen and dump down passes. So basically he always has someone to throw to. That's not to take away from his accuracy on more difficult throws but it certainly increases that percentage. Finally the screen and dump down passes are being used so I would say he will break 70% this year. I don't think they will go crazy like some people thought and take a lot of high risk shots downfield but there certainly will be an increase. If it's there take it otherwise check down especially with a delayed route from someone staying in to block then breaking out.

Brees completed 147 passes to his three running backs last year. I don't see the Falcons turning their offense into that.

I'd expect Matt to be about 65%, but completion percentage isn't going to tell the story for his year.

Brees completed 147 passes to his three running backs last year. I don't see the Falcons turning their offense into that.

I'd expect Matt to be about 65%, but completion percentage isn't going to tell the story for his year.

Prior to his new toy TE, Shockey would also stay in a lot then release and go. It's not the first read by any means but an option I see they have exercised a lot this year when nothing is open in the mid to long range. I would agree though generally it may probably be somewhere between 65 and 70%. He will certainly focus and Roddy and Julio because they know how to get the extra yards.

• 2 weeks later...