Just Reviewed The Atl @ Kc 9-9-12 Game

Alright. Continuing the series for the third or fourth year. Nice win. Here are my GBU notes. Feel free to agree, disagree or catch errors and omissions:

THE GOOD

-Fly over by the Stealth was a classic. Wow

-Good protection on 3rd and 2 and a FD to TonyG

-Play action post to Julio for a 25 yard explosive from a full house backfield

-Slant to Julio for 11 yards and a FD on 3rd and 8

-Good protection on 14 yard pass to Roddy for a FD

-Nice check to Palmer on fourth read

-Fade to Julio for 8 yard TD on 3rd and 2 of the opening drive

-Bowe drops a wide open slant with Babineaux covering in a zone dog. Crowd boos. Whew!

-Good stop by Nic for 1 yard

-Spoon cleans up DeCoud's missed tackle to get off the field

-Quizz bobbles KR then rips off a 77 yarder

-Nic sets right edge and forces a TFL on Charles by Ray

-WillyMo gets hurry on flea flicker and Spoon picks up an 8 yard sack

-Bubble right to Roddy for 18 yards and a FD

-Ryan rolls right and hits Roddy on out for 13 yards and a FD. Challenge over ruled.

-Nice draw to Quizz for 6 yards

-7 yard out to Quizz for a FD

-2nd and 5 out to Roddy for 7 yards and a FD

-Bubble left to Julio for 14 yard TD. Good blocks by Blalock and Mud. Refs miss illegal block by HD

-Good defense by Spoon on Hillis dump to force a 3rd and 5

-19 yard out to HD for FD in 2 minute offense

-13 yard curl to TonyG for a FD

-Ryan scrambles for 10 yards and a FD

-Ryan scrambles for 9 more yards

-Play action 25 yard explosive to TonyG. Good YAC

-Spoon one yard stop on Charles

-Spoon gets a PD on 3rd and 3 to get off the field

-Succup sucks up a FG miss

-Good protection, good slide, Julio 11 yards for a FD

-Julio 25 yard explosive on deep crossing pattern

-Delay to Turner for an 11 yard FD and two broken tackles

-Ryan scrambles for 5 yard TD on 3rd and goal

-Abe gets a 5 yard TFL on Charles

-Babineaux gets a PD at the LOS to force a 3rd and 15

-Abe gets a strip sack and Nic picks up the FR. First and goal from the KC 8 yard line

-Ryan steps up and hits TonyG for a TD

-Ryan makes TonyG dunk the ball. Crowd boos

-Ray stones Hillis' block and gets a hurry that forced Cassel to Babineaux for a sack

-Good run blitz by DeCoud. Spoon, Nic and Dent combine for a 4 yard TFL

-Good PD by Nic and great INT by WillyMo

-Play action 25 yard explosive to Roddy for a FD

-Nic and WillyMo combine on another TFL

-Abe gets a TFL

-Abe gets a PD. Nice disguise

-Good defense on 3rd and 22 to get off the field and force KC's first punt

-Nice 6 yard run by Quizz

-We didn't have to punt until late in the fourth

-Good check to Quizz for 6 yards to set up 3rd and 1

-Bang bang defense on McCluster by Nic

-No turnovers

-Only two penalties

-Bryant is still automatic. Four for four on FGs and XPs

-Bosher is Dimi's low round gem. Dude is kicking his as off

-Ryan is mastering the three step and avoiding pressure. Quicker drops. Quicker reads. Crisper passes

-Ryan had five receivers with two or more catches (elite level) and hit seven total

-My Hickory Stick nominees are Ryan, Julio, Nic, Roddy, TonyG, Spoon, WillyMo and Quizz. I vote for Ryan

-1-0 and tied at the top of the division, conference and league.

THE BAD

-Asante misses a tackle on Breaston

-Moeaki wide open for 18 yarder and a FD in WillyMo's zone

-WillyMo and Dunta get bad zone drop on 14 yarder to Bowe for a FD

-DeCoud misses a tackle

-Ryan picks up a false start penalty on new ticky tack QB rule

-Wasted a 77 yard kick return on a FG

-3rd and 4 conversion to Moeaki. Wide open in the middle of the zone

-Abe and Jelly gashed on off tackle right by Charles for 11 yards and a FD

-Bowe big boys Grimes for 21 yard explosive and a FD

-Beautiful throw to Boss for 22 yard explosive TD on Spoon

-Dunta misses tackle on McCluster for 10 yards and a FD on 3rd and 5

-Charles rips 11 yards off tackle left on Abe and Babineaux

-Outschemed on the QB keeper for a TD

-Clabo beat by Houston for a sack

-No pressure when Cassel steps up and hits McCluster for a 22 yard explosive FD on Dunta

-Seven man rush stoned, Dunta and Spoon give up 15 yard FD to McCluster

-Grimes misses a tackle on Hillis

-Houston picks up a pressure on Clabo

-Blalock beat by Poe for a TFL

-Ryan misses Julio high and wide open in the end zone

-Point after TD by Bryant barely clears the upright. WTF?

-3rd and 14 conversion to McCluster on Dunta

-Ryan throws behind Roddy on open crossing route

-Crisp throws a punch and could get suspended

-Bowe gets a 9 yard slant on Grimes

-DLine crushed on run for FD by Droughn

-Asante drops a pick

-Quizz stopped for TFL on 3rd and 1

-Breaston 13 yarder on Asante

-Defense gives up a last minute TD when they were trying to stop KC

-Lost the explosive play battle 6 to 4 (-2)

THE UGLY

-Charles rips off a 46 yard explosive run. Ray and Jelly crushed, LBs and DBs sealed on PIT 2010 play

-Couldn't run the ball worth a dam

-Run defense got gashed

-Grimes and $10.2M cap dollars gone for the season ohmy.png

-Bubble left to Julio for 14 yard TD. Good blocks by Blalock and Mud. Refs miss illegal block by HD

I swear that HD actually got his feet tangled and fell into the guy. I think the refs saw his feet get caught up and did not call it because of that.

Fox was doing the replay and they were saying ti was an illegal block but he got tripped up by a KC player.

I swear that HD actually got his feet tangled and fell into the guy. I think the refs saw his feet get caught up and did not call it because of that.

Fox was doing the replay and they were saying ti was an illegal block but he got tripped up by a KC player.

I think that one was borderline. Dude made a good block. I don't think he got tripped. The question is was the block within one yard of the LOS. Hard to tell. Pretty close. I probably would have thrown the flag but can't fault a replacement or regular who wouldn't have.

I think that one was borderline. Dude made a good block. I don't think he got tripped. The question is was the block within one yard of the LOS. Hard to tell. Pretty close. I probably would have thrown the flag but can't fault a replacement or regular who wouldn't have.

I don't think HD made a block at all he got tripped up and fell into the other guy which blocked him. One of those keystone cop plays that actually went in our favor.

Mike Perira on Fox came back later and said its a legal play for couple of reasons.

1. The pass needs to be thrown behind the line of scrimmage. The pass was behind the LOS.

2, The block should happen with in a yard, HD was like a yard or yard and half at most. Mike said even the regular officials wouldn't have called it because it would have been too close to call.

Edited by falcons007

Mike Perira on Fox came back later and said its a legal play for couple of reasons.

1. The pass needs to be thrown behind the line of scrimmage. The pass was behind the LOS.

2, The block should happen with in a yard, HD was like a yard or yard and half at most. Mike said even the regular officials wouldn't have called it because it would have been too close to call.

Yea I saw that segment to which is where I saw HD get tripped up and literally fall into the other guy. I don't see how everyone else missed that but I was perplexed when they were talking about an illegal vs legal block when it was clear HD feet got tangled with a KC player and he fell forward into another KC player.

Edited by Corporal Clegg

Guest Negatorris

He did the first couple years. Mainly because the Oline couldn't block em. In the run or the pass. They got better the last couple years in the pass. Still can't run block em.

Yeah, but Ryan has been pretty good against the 3-4 since 2010.

If we became able to run against the 3-4, then we could get somewhere. Luckily the Broncos will be easier to run again.

OK I just watched the HD play again.

He definitely didn't get tripped.

It doesn't matter if the ball is behind or ahead of the LOS if the block occurs beyond one yard it's offensive pass interference.

His block was over a yard. But just barely. Four to eight inches maybe?

I think some of the refs call that. The rest let it go. I'm glad they let it go.

OK I just watched the HD play again.

He definitely didn't get tripped.

It doesn't matter if the ball is behind or ahead of the LOS if the block occurs beyond one yard it's offensive pass interference.

His block was over a yard. But just barely. Four to eight inches maybe?

I think some of the refs call that. The rest let it go. I'm glad they let it go.

The problem is the call is a judgement call like you pointed out.

Question about Grimes though:

Would you rather have TD signed Grimes to a $10MM per year contract for 4-5 years or tag him and wait and see what happens? You would have been the first one in line saying we've been Dimitroffed had we signed him to a long contract and this happened. Now we can resign Grimes to a $5-7MM a year contract.

He did the first couple years. Mainly because the Oline couldn't block em. In the run or the pass. They got better the last couple years in the pass. Still can't run block em.

Yeah, that game against the Ravens in 2010 showed that we could beat a 3-4 team if we relied heavily on the pass.

That was the game that really made me think Mularkey had turned the corner and was going to turn the offense over to Ryan and let him and our talented wideouts/tight ends run the show... too bad we had to wait this long to see it actually happen.

" - Ryan throws behind Roddy on open crossing route "

Not too far behind him. The ball hit him in the hands! Not the easiest catch but none the less, should have been caught.

Bad pass...even the announcer(MS brother-in-law) said MR had more time to make a better throw.

Should have been a better throw...1st dwn at the least.

Edited by Mid-Nite-Toker

The problem is the call is a judgement call like you pointed out.

Question about Grimes though:

Would you rather have TD signed Grimes to a $10MM per year contract for 4-5 years or tag him and wait and see what happens? You would have been the first one in line saying we've been Dimitroffed had we signed him to a long contract and this happened. Now we can resign Grimes to a $5-7MM a year contract.

Nah bro.

I was on the sign Grimes to what would probably have been more like a $5M cap hit when we were screwing around with Miko. Peyton was the first. I was probably the second or third.

Most of Dimi's corner moves have been questionable at best. Dline and Oline too.

If some of his bust picks don't RTFU soon you will even agree. Trust me.

Now we can resign Grimes to a $5-7MM a year contract.

I don't think he has a chance of making that much coming off of two injuries and being over 30 years old. Achilles injuries can have a severe impact on a player's athleticism, especially one that relies solely on his hops to be able to cover receivers. Edited by Aftermath

Seems Nic was the star on defense our DTs the goat, Walker only one that got any push at all, starting to wish I trusted you on Lofton, Good to see Baker and Reynolds not on the uglys, Clabo needs to get his sheet together, good stuff man, keep em coming ......
One thing I left out is the pass protection on the bevy of three steps was the best I've seen in awhile. Clabo kept suckin as like he did in the playoffs and preseason but overall, a good job of protection by the whole unit.

I hope they can do that against good front sevens. Run blocking is still atrocious. Somebody at the Branch needs to feed the Oline some gunpowder. They are big enough and have enough skills. No heart at all though. Play the 1998 season tapes of the kick as misfit Oline for some motivation. If not move Clabo to guard and try Johnson, Reynolds or Holmes at RG. Shake it up. We did it last year. We're in Lombardi mode folks. Let's go.

One thing I left out is the pass protection on the bevy of three steps was the best I've seen in awhile. Clabo kept suckin as like he did in the playoffs and preseason but overall, a good job of protection by the whole unit.

I hope they can do that against good front sevens. Run blocking is still atrocious. Somebody at the Branch needs to feed the Oline some gunpowder. They are big enough and have enough skills. No heart at all though. Play the 1998 season tapes of the kick as misfit Oline for some motivation. If not move Clabo to guard and try Johnson, Reynolds or Holmes at RG. Shake it up. We did it last year. We're in Lombardi mode folks. Let's go.

If Clabo is sucking that bad, ( seems he was off his game in pre as well ), I agree, lite a fire under his azz, with all this cross training BS, there is no excuse not to look to upgrade an under achiever....