Nfl.com Qb Performance Playoff: Who Impressed More In Week 1: Matt Ryan Or Tony Romo?

basketballjones72

The author of the article shows his love for Matt Ryan at the end:

Both quarterbacks were outstanding in their Week 1 contests, but I would give the slight edge to Matt Ryan. His highlights weren't quite as sexy as Tony Romo's, but his execution was a bit cleaner. He didn't turn the ball over and produced points on his first eight possessions. Romo was outstanding, but he did have one turnover off a poor decision and took a little while to get going against the Giants. However, despite a few miscues, he still played at a championship level. If both of these quarterbacks continue to perform like they did this past week, they could be on a playoff collision course. In that event, one of them would be guaranteed to enjoy some much-needed postseason success.

Well....let's be real. Tony Romo had the much tougher assignment.

How so? Other than a better pass rush, the Giants had the worst pass defense last year and they were without Thomas, Amukamura, and they were starting a guy who I believe it was his first start ever... and he got hurt and replaced by a special teamer. Let's not act like Romo was playing the '85 Bears here.

Plus Romo had his running game going, so he didn't have to do it all himself. I swear some of you guys refuse to give our team credit no matter what they do...

Edited by SwampyMux12

How so? Other than a better pass rush, the Giants had the worst pass defense last year and they were without Thomas, Amukamura, and they were starting a guy who I believe it was his first start ever... and he got hurt and replaced by a special teamer. Let's not act like Romo was playing the '85 Bears here.

Plus Romo had his running game going, so he didn't have to do it all himself. I swear some of you guys refuse to give our team credit no matter what they do...

C'mon man, the Giants are the reigning Super Bowl champions. Just c'mon.

Giants d was on point last post season. Not much of the regular season though

Either way, winning in New York on opening day while trying to keep JPP off your back, it's a tougher assignment than winning in KC.

The KC Chiefs got blown out at home far worse in last year's home opener with a fully healthy squad against the Buffalo Bills.

Why do we every single day have to compare Ryan to another QB anyway? It's just getting bizarre.

Giants d was on point last post season. Not much of the regular season though

A lot of guys were hurt most of last season thats why 'not so much.' Everyone was healthy and he still put up big numbers. If you look individually at stats Ryan had the more efficient game. If you take into account who they played Romo had the more impressive game and I don't even like Romo like that.

A lot of guys were hurt most of last season thats why 'not so much.' Everyone was healthy and he still put up big numbers. If you look individually at stats Ryan had the more efficient game. If you take into account who they played Romo had the more impressive game and I don't even like Romo like that.

The most impressive part of Romo's game weren't the plays he did make, which were plenty, but the plays the Giants didn't make on him. They hade some lined up kill shots on him an he went Houdinin on their azz time and time again. It was some good stuff.

The most impressive part of Romo's game weren't the plays he did make, which were plenty, but the plays the Giants didn't make on him. They hade some lined up kill shots on him an he went Houdinin on their azz time and time again. It was some good stuff.

My dad is a Dallas fan and he was sure Romo was gonna get destroyed but his pocket mobility. I think is the best in the league after watching that game. Pops almost had a heart attack.

Either way, winning in New York on opening day while trying to keep JPP off your back, it's a tougher assignment than winning in KC.

The KC Chiefs got blown out at home far worse in last year's home opener with a fully healthy squad against the Buffalo Bills.

Why do we every single day have to compare Ryan to another QB anyway? It's just getting bizarre.

I'm not comparing Ryan just commenting on the comment. Giants d healthy is obviously one of the best squads around every team is pretty good healthy.of course I support the falcons so for me to comment who is better is pointless. I will however say again. In the regular seson the giants seemed very average

This is all true, but I would still say that, generally, beating a division opponent is harder than beating an out-of-conference one.

I thought Giants were missing almost all of their starting CB's. and they were putting scrubs to cover WR's.

Again, Do I give a chit about other team... All I care Falcons Win

Horrible argument to make when the Chiefs were missing Hali and Flowers.

Romo definitely faced a tougher opponent, both looked great last week though.

The point is that a lot of people around here want to discount everything the Falcons/Ryan does for whatever reason... Whenever he plays well there is always a "yeah, but..." Then everytime he struggles it is an "I told ya so"... Both guys went on the road and played really well, can't we just leave it at that, somebody always has to jump in and try to grind Ryan into the dirt with a "oh the Chiefs suck though"... Giants rode a hot pass rush and quarterback to the Superbowl. There pass defense over the course of the year was ranked last in the league, and coming into this year they have some major injury concerns on the back end. Yeah they still have JPP, but their secondary is as weak/weaker than the Chief secondary man for man.

The point is that a lot of people around here want to discount everything the Falcons/Ryan does for whatever reason... Whenever he plays well there is always a "yeah, but..." Then everytime he struggles it is an "I told ya so"... Both guys went on the road and played really well, can't we just leave it at that, somebody always has to jump in and try to grind Ryan into the dirt with a "oh the Chiefs suck though"... Giants rode a hot pass rush and quarterback to the Superbowl. There pass defense over the course of the year was ranked last in the league, and coming into this year they have some major injury concerns on the back end. Yeah they still have JPP, but their secondary is as weak/weaker than the Chief secondary man for man.

The Giants didn't have the last place pass defense. I can look up where they finished, but I know for certain that the Patriots and Packers had the two worst pass defenses in the league.

And guess what? Carving up either of those defenses would be more impressive than carving up the Chiefs defense too. Statistics just don't tell the whole story.

Ryan did what I expected him to do to the Chiefs defense. Everyone else didn't expect it apparently. I don't understand how I am somehow being the disrespectful one.

Definitely Ryan because for Romo, it was business as usual. For Ryan, it was a black swan.

It's funny because I love in San Antonio and the vitriol Cowboys fans send to Romo is eerily similar to what the Ryan hates espouse. They blast him daily on talk radio here. The comparison of Ryan/Romo has been brought up numerous tomes and most here would take Ryan over Romo. Folds under pressure, scared to get hit, happy feet in the pocket, costly turnovers and an inability to perform in the playoffs. These are all things Cowboys fans blast Romo for whenever they lose.