Matt Ryan: Then And Now

Falconsfan567

I had known Matt Ryan had a great second half last season but I never compared it to his previous numbers so I decided to look at Matt Ryan: Then and Now. Here are Ryan's career stats all the way through the Lions game in 2011. This is including the playoffs.

55 G, 1085-for-1777 (61.1%), 12,129 YDS (6.8), 78 TD, 46 INT - 85.3 QB Rating.

Those are pretty good numbers but nothing special. The Falcons went 37-18 (.673)

Here is Ryan's numbers starting with the Colts game last season.

11 G, 204-for-385 (62.3%), 2,992 YDS (7.8), 23 TD, 4 INT - 102.0 QB Rating.

Those are MVP type numbers. The Falcons have posted a 7-4 (.636) record in those games.

So while there has only been a slight improvement in Ryan's completion percentage his ypa has improved by a whole yard which is a lot of improvement. The fact that he's manage to improve both his completion percentage and yards per attempt while better his TD to INT ratio is something we should all be excited about.

I know there is some how this myth out there that Ryan has peaked or leveled off but I don't see how that can be the case when Sunday against the Chiefs was arguably the best game of Ryan's career.

This is a nice analysis; but I think th most telling stat from last game is ball distribution by Matt. His 23 completions went to 6 players. Check Matt's senior year at BC and if I'm not mistaken he had 6 or 7 guys with 30 rec! He's at his best when an offensive scheme lets him see the field and go through his reads. The man is a human computer! In the malarkey scheme you had a more traditional #1 wr (roddy), a # 2wr ...etc...Andre Callender his rb had 989 yes rushing. And 76 rec for 720 yds. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/boston-college/2007.html ! And 4 guys on that 07 BC team had 50 or more rec!

Bottom line it appears Koetter is playing to Matt's strengths--not trying to make Matt conform to his scheme. Also kudos to TD for drafting versatile weapons.

This is a nice analysis; but I think th most telling stat from last game is ball distribution by Matt. His 23 completions went to 6 players. Check Matt's senior year at BC and if I'm not mistaken he had 6 or 7 guys with 30 rec! He's at his best when an offensive scheme lets him see the field and go through his reads. The man is a human computer! In the malarkey scheme you had a more traditional #1 wr (roddy), a # 2wr ...etc...Andre Callender his rb had 989 yes rushing. And 76 rec for 720 yds. http://www.sports-re...llege/2007.html ! And 4 guys on that 07 BC team had 50 or more rec!

Bottom line it appears Koetter is playing to Matt's strengths--not trying to make Matt conform to his scheme. Also kudos to TD for drafting versatile weapons.

I like it. I always thought Matt would be best in a Tom Brady type system that allowed him to use a number of different targets instead of just 3 or 4 max.