Best Season Opener Ever?

The Vent King

I can't remember a better opening 1st game of the season performance than that one. Tried to wait for the euphoria of watching that offense GO SLAP OFF and see if I could think of a better first game (road or home) that left me feeling like "okay, we may have something here..." Not to get too giddy (rip Grimes), but do you remember a better break from the gate that we've had than this past game vs Chiefs? Maybe I'm a little happy cause I also went against conventional wisdom and got a little homerish during my fantasy draft and drafted (and started btw) both Matt Ryan and Julio Jones.

Thoughts?

Definatley the best that i can remember man I hoot and holler ALOT watching games and I was taxed for the rest of Sunday got it all outa my system from watching us tear up KC. We actually do got something special here and I think we strike now full on till the season is over. Been saying it for awhile and will continue to till they prove me wrong this is the year we get a Lombardi. I didn't expect defense to show marked improvement till around week 4-6 maybe even later but I saw some big plays come from our defense. We may give up alota yards and we may give up some points but at some point this year defense will start making alot of game changing plays weekly we won't be the best but the difference is crystal clear.

My friends called me crazy as well cause I started both Ryan and Jones. But it payed off beat my opponent by 40+ points. This team seemed totally confident last week I like it.
? How would that make u crazy to start the qb and Wr from the same team? That makes no sense haha. I can see if u started both Roddy &I Julio but not for ryan and julio lol

2008 opener was awesome. Mainly because my expectations were so low with a rookie QB coming off of a 3-13 season with a SF Practice Squad player starting on our OL. That first pass by Ryan and the running by Turner blew me away. The opener when we beat the Eagles on MNF was good too.

An argument could be made for any of the 3 though.

Geez, not even close for me.

The 1990 opener was incredible, the Falcons first game back in black, at home, they overwhelmed the Oilers taking a 27-0 lead early in the second quarter. They terrorized Warren Moon, and Deion capped it with a pick 6.

The 2005 opener against the Eagles on MNF was great too.

Matt Ryan's first game, won't forget how awesome that was.

The Falcons beating down the Dolphins real good in 2009.

Yeah I'd put all those over this one.

This is no right answer....It's just what means the most to you.

For me it was the Lions game in 2008....so little was expected from that team, and we were obviously coming off of the Twin Apocolypses of Vick and Petrino.

That Lions game signaled to me that the Falcons and we fans had gone through the fire and that maybe, just maybe, things were going to be better sooner than we thought.

Not even close to 1990 HOU@ATL. Back in black. Too legit. Glanville vs his old team. Home opener. Offense and defense both went off. Our defense was awful in most of the KC game. I think I puked on my TV three times before halftime.

That one was 47-27 and this one was 40-24. So not much difference in the final score. But I never saw that game so I don't know.

That one was 47-27 and this one was 40-24. So not much difference in the final score. But I never saw that game so I don't know.

First off....the Oilers were big favorites.The Falcons had won 11 games in the previous 3 seasons, while the Oilers had won 28 games and been to the playoffs every year. So that was the first big difference. Even in 1990, the Oilers won 9 games and made the playoffs again and the Falcons went 5-11.

The second difference is that the Falcons totally b*tch slapped the Oilers at the beginning of the game. It was 27-0 before you could blink and the Falcons were terrorizing a future HOF QB. The guy who passed for over 70,000 yards in two different leagues.

Taking down Matt Cassel didn't have the same satisfaction.

Plus it was the first game under Glanville, who had just been fired by the Oilers despite all those playoff performances, and he was looking to stick it to them.

It was also the Falcons first game back in black, and everybody was excited about that.

And Deion capped it with an 80 yard pick 6, the first pick 6 of his career.

And I was there, the only season opener I ever attended.

So there was that too.

I was 14 for the Hou/ATL game. My mom had tickets on the 50 Yard line, my 1st Falcon game ever. 50 yard line. 1st row. Which meant I saw the back of the Falcons bench all day. Had to watch the game on the Big Screen. Even still, I loved every minute of it. The weather was about to turn bad, but I will always remember how wild the stadium was.