Mularkeyball Monday Nite ?

freebird310

To win we got to keep Manning and our defense off the field.....do you guys think the gameplan will be dink and dunk, kill the clock, 8 minute drive Mularkeyball ? Or will we go aerial , and try to go toe to toe with the Godchild ? .....I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one, man I cant help but think we really need to get the run game going to pull this one out ...........

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is I think both teams are going to run a lot of no huddle. So..no...I don't expect Mularkey ball.

Man, that is trying to beat the godchild at his own game ....I cant help but think we need to slow it down some ....perhaps I'm mistaken ....I guess bottom line, no matter what the game plan, the whole thing is going to come down to turnovers and red zone execution ......

Run it right up the gut. Denver is soft in the middle. Go back watch Dweyer and Redman when they hit the middle. You can spread them out and attack the slot or use 2 TE sets and kill em with Gonzo. I'm not totally against it, but I don't want to get in a shoot out. I think we have the lead in the 4th and stop Manning on the last drive and win a nail bitter. 34-31

Man, that is trying to beat the godchild at his own game ....I cant help but think we need to slow it down some ....perhaps I'm mistaken ....I guess bottom line, no matter what the game plan, the whole thing is going to come down to turnovers and red zone execution ......

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think the mindset of the Falcons right now is that they can score all day on anybody. Until somebody stops them, I think that is going to be the way you see them play.

Run it right up the gut. Denver is soft in the middle. Go back watch Dweyer and Redman when they hit the middle. You can spread them out and attack the slot or use 2 TE sets and kill em with Gonzo. I'm not totally against it, but I don't want to get in a shoot out. I think we have the lead in the 4th and stop Manning on the last drive and win a nail bitter. 34-31

By reading their board it seems that Gonzo and their LBers coverage abilitys are the Denver fans #1 concern .......

Slowing down our offense and playing Mularkeyball isn't going to slow down their offense, its just going to make it to where we can't keep up. Best way to keep Manning of the field is to prevent 3rd down conversions and make turnovers. The key to beating Manning isn't running the ball and melting the clock, never has been. Besides, we don't exactly have the running game to go this route.

I say take what Denver gives us. If our strength in making first downs is passing, then pass the dam ball. Our skill players need as many touches as possible. We can move the ball methodically passing as easily as running. Use the pass to set up the run. When they abandon the run D to defend the pass, then run some draws and halfback screens.

The real key will be to get some DARN stops on D especially on 3rd down.

We absolutely, positively, 100% have to put a hat on Manning to win this game. I'm worried that we're going to get nickel and dimed on slants the way we did against GB in the playoffs. Don't give him more than a couple of seconds before putting his *** on the carpet. We can't do well if we don't get studly performance from every member of the DLine on every play.

I say take what Denver gives us. If our strength in making first downs is passing, then pass the dam ball. Our skill players need as many touches as possible. We can move the ball methodically passing as easily as running. Use the pass to set up the run. When they abandon the run D to defend the pass, then run some draws and halfback screens.

The real key will be to get some DARN stops on D especially on 3rd down.

MM is that you?

I think Smith would run the ball every offensive down if he thought he could get away with it. But, despite the fact our running game appears to be in complete meltdown in both blocking and ball carrier, I still expect we'll see a futile attempt to establish the running game for at least the first three or four offensive series of the game, which will produce a lot of punts and not much yardage and zero points. At some point we'll be behind by about 10 to 14 points and will finally go into Emergency Passing Warp Drive in an effort to catch back up with the Bronco offense and make a game of it. Hopefully we can overcome 45 years of failure in the national spotlight and a large dose of ingrained 1970's offensive conservatism in a high-scoring era and pull this out in the last few seconds.

Edited by PokerSteve

To win we got to keep Manning and our defense off the field.....do you guys think the gameplan will be dink and dunk, kill the clock, 8 minute drive Mularkeyball ? Or will we go aerial , and try to go toe to toe with the Godchild ? .....I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one, man I cant help but think we really need to get the run game going to pull this one out ...........

I think it would be great if we can prove that we can still run the ball to win. After beating KC through the air like we did, then coming back and just running it down Denver's throat put opponents in a tough position each week trying to figure out how to stop us and they would have to guess at how we were planning to attack them.

But

I don't think we can run the ball like we need to. It's not just Turner, I still think he can be servicable, not elite on a consistent basis, but dependable with a big game or two during the course of a full season. The bigger problem is still our OL. While most of the concern on this board and in the media has been with the pass protection, we have not been able to do anything in the power game for a couple of years now. Our OL is weaker up front and we have not run blocked well at all. There is very rarely a push, on any run play between the tackles (where Turner can be most effective).

If we really want to establish the run in the Denver game, we're going to be a in a lot of trouble if we are hardheaded about it try to force it for an entire half or longer if it's not working.

I think it would be great if we can prove that we can still run the ball to win. After beating KC through the air like we did, then coming back and just running it down Denver's throat put opponents in a tough position each week trying to figure out how to stop us and they would have to guess at how we were planning to attack them.

But

I don't think we can run the ball like we need to. It's not just Turner, I still think he can be servicable, not elite on a consistent basis, but dependable with a big game or two during the course of a full season. The bigger problem is still our OL. While most of the concern on this board and in the media has been with the pass protection, we have not been able to do anything in the power game for a couple of years now. Our OL is weaker up front and we have not run blocked well at all. There is very rarely a push, on any run play between the tackles (where Turner can be most effective).

If we really want to establish the run in the Denver game, we're going to be a in a lot of trouble if we are hardheaded about it try to force it for an entire half or longer if it's not working.

Yea, I'm hearing you and you make perfect sense

Guest Negatorris

Keeping Manning off the field won't help. The Steelers did that, but the Broncos just went no-huddle and scored 25 points despite TOP. The Falcons should be planning to attack all day and try to put as many points up as they can. That will force Denver to take more risks if they get behind, and eventually the defense will cause them to make mistakes. I never want to see Mularkeyball again.

Edited by QuintorrisLopez

This game is looking to be a shootout. As pointed out Pitt held the ball more just as KC but both lost.

It's just one game, but from the looks of things we are going to shift drastically away from our typical game of recent years, in part by design, and in part by necessity. SD usually starts slow, but that is looking to be a tough game in their house.

Doesn't really look like we'll be able to run as much, until the Carolina game.

What is odd though, is how the offensive character of the team can change so much as to go from a team that didn't pass all that well, to one that doesn't run that well.

But

Agree 1,000% But, yeah, it really WOULD be great if we could get the running game back on track and just leave Manning on the sidelines holding his helmet the whole game. I have been screaming for the Falcons to adopt a more high-scoring offensive philosophy, but it would be nice to have the run game as a valid weapon to complement it, no doubt about it.

No this team wants to establish an identity. I don't think they will resort to that unless they go into a no huddle offense the guys may go into there old tendencies. If that happens it will be to burn clock late. This game plan is set to bolster the falcons nationally and increase market value for Ryan and company . Win a shoot out with manning early and people are gonna have no chance but take us seriously.

Edited by metatron360