Over/under: Td Extends Ryan's Contract 4 Weeks From Monday 9/17

Radiohead

Over/Under 4 weeks from MNF to extend Ryan's contract?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Extending Ryan 4 weeks from MNF?

FO would probably like to lock Ryan for Long term before the end of season. I don't see Ryan or his agent willing to get the deal done early. Tom Condon is known to milk the NFL teams to his QB paid, Condon will probably piggy back on Joe Flacco's deal and ask the Falcons to pay Ryan more than Flacco.

Edited by falcons007

Tom Condon is Matt Ryan's agent. The same guy that reps Drew Brees. He'll hold out as long as possible to get the most money..

Don't let the swiftards try and convince you that the FO isn't sold on Matt. Matt has one of the shrewdest agents in the league, an agent who that specializes in getting QBs paid. If I were the FO, I'd try and lock him down sooner than later. Unfortunately, I don't see it coming that soon. Condon will stall to milk the most he can out of the Falcons, Still, I don't foresee a Brees-like hold out. Probably something later in the year, or early next offseason. I don't think Matt would let it go so far that he misses any camp.

Wow, thanks for the knowledge. Didn't realize he had that agent.

I don't see Ryan being as much as an *** as Brees was through this whole thing, but I guess when you've got an agent like this guy in your ear for the final contract of your career, your mindset changes a bit.

over $100M for sure.

Schaub got 62 million, but only 4 years. Ryan is better than Schaub, doesnt have the injury concerns and is younger.

I think it will be 7 years 100M or so.

I actually think it will be more than 7 yrs 100 mill and if he goes with a play-off win or deeper I think he'll be knocking on the door of between 18-20 mill per if I'm honest he'll be wanting a little bit less than what Brees got and at what is he now 26-27 or something if I'm his agent I'd go for 18 mill per season and lock it in for the next 7 years like you suggested.

Edited by kiwifalcon

The agent will want to time the contract where, if Matt continues to shine, he would get one more fat contract after this one. Matt is 27yrs old now so I think the new contract would be a 6yr deal. Nobody thinks Matt is in the Brady/Manning/Brees category at this point in his career and two of those guys just signed for like $20million/yr.

I say 6 years, $18million/yr(average) and $108 million total - $50million guaranteed

The agent will want to time the contract where, if Matt continues to shine, he would get one more fat contract after this one. Matt is 27yrs old now so I think the new contract would be a 6yr deal. Nobody thinks Matt is in the Brady/Manning/Brees category at this point in his career and two of those guys just signed for like $20million/yr.

I say 6 years, $18million/yr(average) and $108 million total - $50million guaranteed

Well said -- all sounds logical and realistic.

Mr. Right, were you not joking about 10 yrs $300 million?

The fact that his contract was heavily front loaded and his salary next year is only 10 mil.

That's still a nice chunk of the cap, If they resign him they could probably get a bit more cap room for next season with a back loaded contract. Now that it has been allowed to go this far though I think that the Falcons wait until the Ravens sign Flacco and use that as a guide, with Ryan making just a bit more.

That's still a nice chunk of the cap, If they resign him they could probably get a bit more cap room for next season with a back loaded contract. Now that it has been allowed to go this far though I think that the Falcons wait until the Ravens sign Flacco and use that as a guide, with Ryan making just a bit more.

Cine the new CBA, the projectory of the future caps is not as high as it was before. You are going to see a lot less of the back loaded contracts until the next TV deal gets done. Then we'll see.

it would have been in best intrest for Ryan to sign a contract ext last off season for both parties ..

If Ryan fails in playoffs yet again ..He probably wont get a big time contract cause some will believe he cant get it done when it counts most + Ryan agent losses $ for client

If Ryan leads Falcons deep into playoffs has a big time season Falcons will have to pay out the teeth + Falcons front office could have saved $ by signing him this off season

What you mean is it would have been better for one party, and we just don't know which party yet.

It's not a question of whether or not he'll get a big contract or not. It's a question of whether he is going to get a big contract or a giant contract. I think the absolute worst he'll do is 6 years 90 mil no matter what.

No it could have benefited both parties last year working out a deal..I have had this argument with you ...

Ryan would have gotten security just in case he gets injured this year ..

Falcons could have maybe gotten a bargain on his deal last year after his playoff failure..

Lets say Ryan has a 35 td 4500 year and flops again in playoffs ..Ryan fails to show up ?

What do the Falcons front office do ? do they give Ryan a 80 million contract off yet another playoff blunder?

Ok, yeah I remember.

My answer is still the same. You don't need additional security when you've collected 40+ million and you are making 12+ mil year.

Then Arthur Blank is dumb and I would then be screaming for a new owner...He was dumb giving Vick that contract he will be equally dumb giving Ryan a ext when he continues to fail in playoffs

If Ryan fails to lead us to playoff success this year..Falcons management should just let him play out the end of his contract

You're over reacting dude.

Do you realize how many teams would go balls to the wall for even the chance at a QB like Ryan?

Maybe 7 teams ..

Cle

Buffalo

Raiders

Cards

Possible suitors

Minny

Sea

Miami

Could probably throw in a few more.

But, you would make the argument and "scream at Blank" that when 1/4 of the NFL teams would pine for Ryan if he was available, that he was making a mistake for "overpaying" Ryan to an extension?