Chris Owens

xSICKxWITHxITx

Chris Owens is expected to step in as the Falcons' nickel corner.

Brent Grimes' season-ending injury will move Dunta Robinson out to right corner, opposite Asante Samuel. Owens, a fringe player and special teamer during his three-plus years in Atlanta, is going to get attacked in three-wide sets. His first test comes against Peyton Manning and the Broncos this week.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from DOL's article. I don't always agree with him, but this seems fair:

<He had a promising rookie season as he started six games and played in all 16 games. He finished with 21 tackles and two interceptions. In 2010, Owens had an up-and-down campaign. He was the team’s top nickel back before being slowed by a back injury.>

I remember his first year. He looked really good. If he can return to that form, he will be a great help to us.

<Owens is the prototypical nickel. He’s physical, tough and can change directions quickly. He continues to show off his speed on special teams, when he ran down two returners to keep touchdowns off the board last season.>

He's definitely fast, but I disagree with the part on changing directions quickly. I think his inability to adjust has been his whole problem. But - maybe it's related to his back and he's healed up now. I'm for whatever works. Put the best players on the field......

Edited by rightsaidfred

Owens showed flashes in his rookie year.

It's rare that you have a corner that is good immediatley. They usually go through some ups and downs and hopefully this will be the case for Owens.

Let's see what he can do in Nolan's system but one thing is for sure.... Manning is going to find him and test him.

It's rare that you have a corner that is good immediatley. They usually go through some ups and downs and hopefully this will be the case for Owens.

Let's see what he can do in Nolan's system but one thing is for sure.... Manning is going to find him and test him.

Manning would be saying I "OWN" your Mr. Ownes

There are three (3) important keys to defeating the Broncos on Monday night.

1). The Falcons must establish their running attack with all of the running backs, but Turner especially must get untracked and cranked up, along with Snelling and Rodgers as additional "battering rams" in the Falcons arsenal of weapons offensively.

2). Let Matt Ryan carry this team on his shoulders. He has now established himself as the undisputed leader and field general of the offense.

3). On defense, the Falcons must get to Manning by sacking him, disrupting him, and controlling him with a firece pash rush. The defense must gang tackle their running backs. And now that Chris Owens is the starter as the nickle back, he's got to 'straighten up and fly right, step up to the plate and utilize the style of defensive football that Nolan's defensive scheme dictates. The shoes of Brent Grimes must be filled and this game is Owens golden opportunity fly and soar instead crash and burn. Enough said.

There are three (3) important keys to defeating the Broncos on Monday night.

1). The Falcons must establish their running attack with all of the running backs, but Turner especially must get untracked and cranked up, along with Snelling and Rodgers as additional "battering rams" in the Falcons arsenal of weapons offensively.

2). Let Matt Ryan carry this team on his shoulders. He has now established himself as the undisputed leader and field general of the offense.

3). On defense, the Falcons must get to Manning by sacking him, disrupting him, and controlling him with a firece pash rush. The defense must gang tackle their running backs. And now that Chris Owens is the starter as the nickle back, he's got to 'straighten up and fly right, step up to the plate and utilize the style of defensive football that Nolan's defensive scheme dictates. The shoes of Brent Grimes must be filled and this game is Owens golden opportunity fly and soar instead crash and burn. Enough said.

Turn off caps lock man. I never read your posts because of it

Main point here is this is Mike Nolan's Defense, not the middle school strategy of one BVG.

This is not your daddy's Oldsmobile.

Nolan was made for games like this.

MNF.

Spotlight.

Total national attention.

I think Nolan and his troops will respond well.

Very well.

Edited by Bring It