Feel The Same Way About Matt's First Game In 2012 As I Did In 2008

falconidae

Loved the KC game. Ryan played at an elite level. Looked better than he ever has running the O, and he's looked really good in the past.

So, in 2008, Loved the first game, the first pass, everything.

In 2008, after the first game, I wondered, is this real, can he do this on a regular basis? He lost a couple of early games on the road, but he took a beating and kept the games close til mid 4th quarter.

After about the 8th game that year, I realized that Ryan was indeed the real thing, that the Falcons had found themselves a QB.

Now, I'm at the same point about him taking his game up a level in 2012. He did as much as he could in one game. Now, can he sustain it?

Don't think I'll need to wait until the 8th game this year, think the first 4 games will be enough:

Got an outdoor road win.

Next comes a Monday night game

Then a west coast trip

and a division rival.

Teams frequently lose the week after a west coast trip, if Ryan goes toe to toe with Manning, Rivers and Newton and comes out 3-1 or 4-0, then he's taken the next step up in his development and we can look forward to a really fun year.

And, yes, I have heard the rumors to the effect that it's possible that Ryan could, perhaps, have performed better in the postseason, but I'll deal with that in Jan. If he plays like he did in the first week the whole year, he'll get another chance at the postseason.

Guest Negatorris

Only team I'm worried about in this first quarter of games is Denver. They are obviously the toughest, and will be a test for our offense and defense. That said, if Ryan gets the proper protection I am confident he can continue his level of play. It helps that this game is at home. We particularly perform well on west coast, and the Panthers don't look good at all.

4-0 quite probably gives us a 2 game lead over everybody else in the division.

Panthers schedule is brutal, Saints have to go to GB, TAM next 2 games are NYG, DAL, both away

That's what I'm hoping for. Cruise into the bye at 5-1 maybe. If we win tonight, that is very possible. SD is overrated. People here can't separate history from the present. The Chargers USED to be a good team but they just aren't anymore. Same with Peyton. They think it's Peyton's Colts we are facing.

If we win convincingly on Monday, I am screaming 6-0.

That's what I'm hoping for. Cruise into the bye at 5-1 maybe. If we win tonight, that is very possible. SD is overrated. People here can't separate history from the present. The Chargers USED to be a good team but they just aren't anymore. Same with Peyton. They think it's Peyton's Colts we are facing.

SD barely beat OAK who gave them the game with those muffed snaps. Why should we ever be scared of SD?

I've been banging the 'Matt Ryan needs to step up' drum for awhile. Not in a derogatory sense but simply in an 'if the Falcons are built around Matt Ryan, and want to become an elite team...then Matt Ryan needs to become an elite QB' sense.

To be fair, I think with hindsight being 20/20, part of what held Ryan back was Mike Mularkey's rigid philosophy with regard to offensive balance and aggresiveness.

What I think we've all seen since Game 1 of the pre-season is a QB who has now been put in a position to attack. And a QB who now has the experience and talent to do so. Some of the throws Ryan made weren't difficult throws. But he made them and more importantly the offensive plan out receivers in a position to receive those throws in open space.

A bigger test will come on Monday with a team more adept at putting pressure on the QB. However, Ryan not only stood tall in the pocket, but stepped up into pressure to make throws all day. It was an incredibly encouraging first step and one that I think has us all finally entertaining the full potential of the offensive talent we have.

Yeah, then we get to go to play the eagles with coordinators who can adjust on the fly.