Jarvis Jones Awards Keep Coming In And Heisman Contender?

SacFalcFan

Jarvis Jones is a beast. Jarvis and heisman has been mentioned as being a heisman contender. (from the macon telegraph: All this has led Jones to be ranked sixth in this week’s Heisman “straw poll” by CBSsports.com and Heismanpundit.com. And the ESPN.com Heisman watch has Jones at seventh.). It's very tough for a defensive guy to win the heisman, but to even be mentioned shows the national respect Jarvis is getting due to his amazing play.

This week Jones was named the Walter Camp, Bronko Nagurski and Chuck Bednarik defensive player of the week and the SEC defensive player of the week. JJ already has 3.5 sacks and he led the SEC last year with 13.5 sacks and also led in Tackles for Loss. His performance against Missouri was dominant with 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, an interception, 9 tackles, and 5 qb pressures. Oh btw he hurt his groin on Wednesday and wasn't a 100% for the game. We have a special player Dawg fans.

Although I think Jarvis is probably one of the best, if not the best defensive playmaker this year. Its always difficult for a defender to to win the Heisman. He would need 20 sacks, 5 picks, 10 forced fumbles and 100 tackles to win it

If you're not a QB or RB you will most likely not win the heisman

Not really the point. The fact he's even mentioned in a serious way for it is a huge honor. We know he won't win it.

If Jarvis was still on USC, Sleepy would probably be arguing that he should be co-Heisman winner with Barkley. I agree that it's impressive just to be mentioned as a candidate.

Edited by KGDawg710

Jarvis actually had more tackles, TFL and sacks last year than Ingram. So although he had a very impressive season, I don't know if it was one for the decade.

Yeah he did.

Ingram - 48 TACK, 31 SOLO, 17 AST, 15 TFL, 10 SACKS, 2 INT, 4 PD, 0 FF, 1 FR, 3 TD

Jones - 70 TACK, 39 SOLO, 31 AST, 19.5 TFL, 13.5 SACKS, 0 INT, 2 PD, 2 FF, 0 FR, 0 TD

I doubt he wins the heisman unless he returns numerous fumbles and/or interceptions for touchdowns. Sacks alone won't get him there. Woodson won it because he was a dual threat. That was the only reason Honey Badger was a finalist last season as well.

All of that being said, he's the best defender in the SEC by a mile and arguably the country. I'd love to have him on my team.

If Jarvis was still on USC, Sleepy would probably be arguing that he should be co-Heisman winner with Barkley. I agree that it's impressive just to be mentioned as a candidate.

yep and as i said in the first post it will be very tough for a defensive guy to win it, but to be mentioned as a candidate is very impressive. it just shows the national respect jarvis jones is getting due to his play. there is no question who the best lb is in the country in college football.

Would be awesome but I think Jarvis has to be a top 10 lock, maybe even top 5.

yep if he stays healthy a top 5 even top 3 pick. amazing that kiffin and company decided to let jarvis jones leave.. not sure if you heard about the exchange, but ctg was in florida and bumped into monte kiffin and said thanks very much for jarvis jones.. monte just kept shaking his head saying yeah we sure did screw that up.

Jarvis has a chance to go to a pretty good team too. I think top 10 is in the realm of possibility but i am thinking more of that 10-15 range. He could go to a team like Philly, NYG, Bucs, Panthers, or even a stretch to a Pittsburgh caliber team. I could also even see the Patriots getting him.

He will need to bulk up a little but that should be easy for him. I just hope if he does go to the NFC South it is to us, but will never happen.

Jarvis has a chance to go to a pretty good team too. I think top 10 is in the realm of possibility but i am thinking more of that 10-15 range. He could go to a team like Philly, NYG, Bucs, Panthers, or even a stretch to a Pittsburgh caliber team. I could also even see the Patriots getting him.

He will need to bulk up a little but that should be easy for him. I just hope if he does go to the NFC South it is to us, but will never happen.

There is no way he falls that low unless he gets hurt. He is already projected as 2-3, and he has a whole year left to impress, which he will imo. I think he is gonna go to a poop team lol

Maybe he goes to the Bengals... they've been adding UGA guys lately.

Gonna hate it if he goes to Cleveland or St Louis.

You're not kidding

2012- Orson Charles

2011- AJ Green, Clint Boling

2010-Geno Atkins

2005- David Pollack and Odell Thurman (O what should have been for these two)

2004- Robert Geathers

You're not kidding

2012- Orson Charles

2011- AJ Green, Clint Boling

2010-Geno Atkins

2005- David Pollack and Odell Thurman (O what should have been for these two)

2004- Robert Geathers

It's a shame Pollack's career ended because of that neck injury. Dude was a freak. I'll ever forget the jaw dropping play he made against the Gamecocks when he strip-sacked the QB in the end zone and recovered the ball for a touchdown which ended up being the game winning touchdown, since the final score was 14-7 or something like that.

It's a shame Pollack's career ended because of that neck injury. Dude was a freak. I'll ever forget the jaw dropping play he made against the Gamecocks when he strip-sacked the QB in the end zone and recovered the ball for a touchdown which ended up being the game winning touchdown, since the final score was 14-7 or something like that.

As much as I feel bad for Pollack, I dont remember him being a very good pro (29 games, 29 tackles, 4.5 sacks). Odell Thurman could have been an all-pro if he would have just gotten his act together