U.s. Compounds Attacked Due To Youtube Video?

Statick

Angry protesters attacked U.S. diplomatic compounds in Libya and Egypt on Tuesday, citing in both instances an online film considered offensive to Islam.

The Libyan government notified the United States that an employee at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi was killed, a State Department official told CNN. The State Department does not have independent confirmation of the death.

Egyptian groups point to U.S. websites, including YouTube, that have scenes from the film. Some anti-Muslim blogs also have flagged the movie. It was not clear late Tuesday who produced the film and under what auspices.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They killed our Ambassador and 3 others in Libya, and are still breaching the embassy in Egypt.

The statement from the Egyptian embassy is embarrassing.

Hooray for the Arab Spring!

I remember when the whole Arab Spring began getting press, I said over and over "be careful what you wish for."

Well, now we see the fruits of our meddling, which was in the end just the fruits of our prior meddling, etc.

Angry protesters attacked U.S. diplomatic compounds in Libya and Egypt on Tuesday, citing in both instances an online film considered offensive to Islam.

The Libyan government notified the United States that an employee at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi was killed, a State Department official told CNN. The State Department does not have independent confirmation of the death.

Egyptian groups point to U.S. websites, including YouTube, that have scenes from the film. Some anti-Muslim blogs also have flagged the movie. It was not clear late Tuesday who produced the film and under what auspices.

animals---how is that the oldest civilizations on earth tend to be the least progressed in their thinking, politics and moderization

If history is any indication, we will invade them and try to forcibly install a western style democracy that they have absolutely no historical frame of reference of using or wanting. Squandering lives and dollars in the process.

Gritz, as long as we have consulates abroad, we must protect them and the host countries must as well. We have to send back a strong response to the killing of our people. What would be your suggestion?

Gritz, as long as we have consulates abroad, we must protect them and the host countries must as well. We have to send back a strong response to the killing of our people. What would be your suggestion?

Simple. Leave.

We are never going to accomplish anything there anyway. All we are there is a target for every radical fundamentalist A-hole who wants to kill someone everytime they get offended at something on the internet. What future is there in dealing with people like that?

Simple. Leave.

We are never going to accomplish anything there anyway. All we are there is a target for every radical fundamentalist A-hole who wants to kill someone everytime they get offended at something on the internet. What future is there in dealing with people like that?

I have to agree. There does not seem to be any reason to justify having diplomatic relations with Libya and Egypt right now. We would receive no benefit from it, and the US government should advise American tourists and businesses to stay away indefinitely.

Simple. Leave.

I concur, but you are advocating pulling intel assets out of zones we need huminet info and real time info as to safe guard our own country. We've always had consulates in war torn regions and it plays a large role in State dept negotiations. I'd love to pull out and let them kill each other if so be, but thats really not an option. Becoming energy independant would go a long way towards Not supporting these Islamic fascists regimes, but where's our committment to do that?

Why do we even have USMC personnel guarding these places if they can't shoot/defend it during an attack? I guarantee if they had charged up a SAW and mowed down the first fence/wall breachers the rest of them would have scattered. Problems solved, problem staying solved.

I agree with Gritzblitz 2.0. We need to just pull out of all these third world poop holes. We need to quit sending them money too.

Why do we even have USMC personnel guarding these places if they can't shoot/defend it during an attack? I guarantee if they had charged up a SAW and mowed down the first fence/wall breachers the rest of them would have scattered. Problems solved, problem staying solved.

I agree with Gritzblitz 2.0. We need to just pull out of all these third world poop holes. We need to quit sending them money too.

My somewhat-cynical opinion? They are there to die and then be used as diplomatic capital in the future. Its terrible. If I can turn back time and give them three words, they would be "Fire at will."

Simple. Leave.

Of course the US will not do that, and even understandably so to a point. As unpalatable as dictatorships are to westerners, the secular dictatorships in that part of the world serve as a far more desirable alternative to the Islamic theocracies which present a greater danger to not only the people of the particular country, but the rest of world.

Too late for Libya and Egypt, but I'm so glad the US isn't engaging Syria.

Of course the US will not do that, and even understandably so to a point. As unpalatable as dictatorships are to westerners, the secular dictatorships in that part of the world serve as a far more desirable alternative to the Islamic theocracies which present a greater danger to not only the people of the particular country, but the rest of world.

Too late for Libya and Egypt, but I'm so glad the US isn't engaging Syria.

Half a century of meddling in internal middle eastern politics and propping up despots have put us in far more danger than any Islamic Theocracy. We have given the fundamentalists a huge target.

I remember when the whole Arab Spring began getting press, I said over and over "be careful what you wish for."

Well, now we see the fruits of our meddling, which was in the end just the fruits of our prior meddling, etc.

I'll take our poor meddling, along with Mubarak and Qaddafi at this point. The Islamists are a bigger threat long term.

Edited by ATL Bear

Half a century of meddling in internal middle eastern politics and propping up despots have put us in far more danger than any Islamic Theocracy. We have given the fundamentalists a huge target.

Hardly, and that is the popular "blame ourselves" approach. These are societies built around autocratic rule, whether it comes from a "despot" or the Qu'ran. It's when a weak central government that doesn't give the US or anyone else for that matter, a legitimate authority to deal with, that these states become uncontrollable problems.

Iran is the only entity with a somewhat strong central authority that we clash with, but that's a different story all together than the types of environments that are occurring in Yemen, Somalia, Libya (now), Pakistan, and the road Egypt is heading toward.

One of the individuals killed was an online acquaintance of mine. Leaves behind a wife and two fairly young kids.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I have a friend who unexpectedly was required to leave Egypt 2 weeks ago after having lived/worked their for the past 7 years. The situation is devolving fast.

Now reports are coming out that the Israeli filmaker has gone into hiding.

This ponce intentionally stirs up some Muslims, gets people killed and HE goes into hiding. Coward. Stand by your convictions since you put it out there for the world to see.

Poor Ambassador Stevens did that much for his people and country OVER THERE and lost his life because of this BS.

Hardly, and that is the popular "blame ourselves" approach. These are societies built around autocratic rule, whether it comes from a "despot" or the Qu'ran. It's when a weak central government that doesn't give the US or anyone else for that matter, a legitimate authority to deal with, that these states become uncontrollable problems.

Iran is the only entity with a somewhat strong central authority that we clash with, but that's a different story all together than the types of environments that are occurring in Yemen, Somalia, Libya (now), Pakistan, and the road Egypt is heading toward.

So you don't think we make the problem worse when we try to force these nations with long traditions of autocratic rule into adopting a western style democracy like we did in Iraq and Afghanistan? Granted that the initial action in Afghanistan could have hardly been avoided. But it seems that each time we get involved in the region it creates more resentment.