Do We Have To Pay Grimes Fully?

Guest fibonacci

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlanta Falcons: Grimes out for season (updated)

2:44 pm September 10, 2012, by Chris Vivlamore

Vivlamore reporting from Flowery Branch.

Brent Grimes’ season is over.

The Falcons starting cornerback was placed on the injured reserve list with an Achilles tendon injury suffered in Sunday’s season-opening victory over the Chiefs. Grimes, who had the franchise tag placed on him in March, had an MRI Monday which revealed surgery was necessary.

According to coach Mike Smith, the recovery period following the surgical procedure will extend beyond the season.

“Obviously, it hurts our depth any time you lose a player of that caliber,” Smith said. “Brent’s made a number of plays. Since we’ve been here, he’s been a cornerstone at the position, both left and right [cornerback].

“It’s the next man up mentality. That’s the way you have to approach it. There are a number of guys who have play time on our roster right now. It’s something that as a coaching staff we’ll put together what we feel is the best plan in terms of how we will configure out nickel package. That’s the biggest thing we’ll have to do.”

Grimes, a Pro Bowler in 2010, started Sunday’s game at right cornerback. Asante Samuel, a four-time Pro Bowler acquired in the offseason, started at left cornerback. Dunta Robinson played in the nickel package, which Smith said was all but 11 plays against the Chiefs.

Grimes left the game in the fourth quarter Sunday with what was announced as a calf injury. He did not return.

The Falcons do not get any salary-cap relief for the loss of Grimes. They have approximately $1.061 million in salary-cap space should they choose to sign another player.

Samuel and Robinson will now start at cornerback with Christopher Owens likely assuming the nickel role. The Falcons also have Dominique Franks and Robert McClain on the active roster and Peyton Thompson on the practice squad at cornerback.

“How we configure this is something we’ll discuss over the next several days,” Smith said of the rotation. “We’ve got lots of flexibility in terms of our secondary. Injuries are a part of this game unfortunately. We felt like we were adding a corner [in Samuel] that gave us three No. 1 corners. We’ve had an injury and we’ll have to adjust. We will adjust.”

The Falcons kept Grimes for another season when they placed the franchise tag on him in March. He will earn $10.281 million this year on a one-year contract. He is entering his fifth season with the Falcons after making the team as an undrafted free agent out of Shippensburg University. Grime made the Pro Bowl following the 2010 season.

It is the second surgery that will cause Grimes to miss games in the past two seasons. He said before the start of the season that he was fully recovered from the right knee surgery he needed in November that caused him to miss three of the last four regular-season games and the playoff loss to the Giants.

Grimes finished with one interception, 35 tackles and 12 assists in 12 games last season. He played in all 16 regular-season games in both 2009 and 2010 and had a combined 11 interceptions, including five in 2010 when went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

“I was able to do a lot of things that I like to do which is move in space, run, hit, tackle, blitz,” Robinson said of his now-temporary move inside.

The Falcons now have five players on injured reserve in offensive lineman Will Svitek, safety Shann Schillinger, rookie fullback Bradie Ewing, rookie tight end Adam Nissley and Grimes.

- Chris Vivlamore

The Falcons do not get any salary-cap relief for the loss of Grimes. They have approximately $1.061 million in salary-cap space should they choose to sign another player.

2. Do players receive the same salary when they are on injured reserve as they would if they were active?

Players who are sent to injured reserve by a club receive their full salary unless they signed a "split contract". A split contract designates a base salary for a player if he makes the team and a lower salary if he winds up on injured reserve. Typically the only players signing a split contract are undrafted rookies and a few veterans with severe medical histories.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8085ee3e/article/even-in-the-offseason-nfl-education-never-ends

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

it kinda makes me sick. he held out wanting more money (like 10 mil isn't enough). him and his crazy azz wife probably will enjoy getting all those game checks for sitting around not doing a **** thing.

I'm not going to get back into his wife. I do not like the fact though she posted stuff on facebook. but anyhow it will not be much longer til a conspiracy comes out that Grimes secretly wanted to screw the Falcons.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

2. Do players receive the same salary when they are on injured reserve as they would if they were active?

Players who are sent to injured reserve by a club receive their full salary unless they signed a "split contract". A split contract designates a base salary for a player if he makes the team and a lower salary if he winds up on injured reserve. Typically the only players signing a split contract are undrafted rookies and a few veterans with severe medical histories.

http://www.nfl.com/n...tion-never-ends

Thank you.

you amaze me with your fast knowledge. +1,000,000

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

I was under the impression that if a player was placed on IR, their salary would not count against the cap. I guess since Grimes was carrying the franchise tag, his one year salary is fully guaranteed and still counts against the cap?

hmmm now that is another very good question. hopefully "theprof" can answer this one as well.

The little dude has balled for us a while now. We stuck with him early in his career and he paid us back by playing very well of late. I too wish he had signed a equitable, long term contract but he didn't. This year will probably be the highest salary he will see in the NFL. This injury was very untimely for Brent. This is the kind of injury that will take a while to fully recover from.

Yep, but the kid deserves it,

We had him on the cheap for a long time.

May suk for our Cap, but Grimes earned it.

I definately agree he earned it. I've made similar comments recently and it must seem like i'm ungrateful, but i'm just speaking the truth. Considering everything, he's still going to make $10,000,000 to attend training camp and 1 week of NFL football. Lucky B.astard laugh.png

http://www.nfl.com/n...tion-never-ends

I have no problem with Grimes and his contract situation. He played well enough to get a good contract. He like many players know that their career can be over at anytime. He was a long shot from the beginning and he performed at a high level in a dangerous multi billion dollar generating sport. Why shouldn't he get his money?

it kinda makes me sick. he held out wanting more money (like 10 mil isn't enough). him and his crazy azz wife probably will enjoy getting all those game checks for sitting around not doing a **** thing.

He wanted a long term deal, and really deserved one. He got shafted with the contract he had in the past which payed him a lot less than the other probowlers at his position. Grimes has done a lot for this team and I'm sure he would much rather be playing than sitting around with a torn acl.

I definately agree he earned it. I've made similar comments recently and it must seem like i'm ungrateful, but i'm just speaking the truth. Considering everything, he's still going to make $10,000,000 to attend training camp and 1 week of NFL football. Lucky B.astard laugh.png

Sure, but he probably lost 15 to 20 mil when he shredded his Achilles, so I bet he doesn't feel lucky.

He wanted a long term deal, and really deserved one. He got shafted with the contract he had in the past which payed him a lot less than the other probowlers at his position. Grimes has done a lot for this team and I'm sure he would much rather be playing than sitting around with a torn acl.

He didn't get shafted, he got the kind of contract that an unproven player form a small school is going to get. If he were better or stood out more in college he likely wold have been drafted and received a bigger contract. That isn't the Falcons fault, the Falcons don't owe him a **** thing, they stuck with an UDFA for a few years until he finally panned out. The Falcons don;t magically owe him money because he underperformed in college and waited until he was 29 to become a Pro Bowler.

Sure, but he probably lost 15 to 20 mil when he shredded his Achilles, so I bet he doesn't feel lucky.

he lost a good deal of money, that's for sure. He was going to get paid by someone (not us) after this season, but now he is coming off of 2 injures, one potentially career threatening, it certainly doesn't bode well for him. Someone will pick him up and give him a chance but he might have be back to making UDFA money for a year or two. He will never get the chance to sign that big payday contract again though. I know you were one of the guys that wanted him locked up after 2010, and I thought it would have been a good move as well, but I'm glad we are only on the hook for 10M for a year instead of 25-30M over 5 years.

Yeah but I like to look on the bright side of things and I know there is no way that Brent Grimes goes into Flowery Branch on payday (even though he's not playing) picks up a $625,000.00 check and frowns about having to distribute that check within 6 different banks since the Govt only guarantees $100,000 17 weeks in a row. Yeah I bet he feels real unlucky.