Broncos Offense

vel

I was perusing my Twitter today when I came across this:

"Both Joel Dressen and Jacob Tamme both played 80+% of snaps for the #Broncos. That's more than either Broncos RB"

Didn't even realize this, so I clicked the link, which took me to footballoutsiders.com and revealed the following snaps played (%):

Demaryius Thomas: 93%

Eric Decker: 92%

Joel Dressen: 86%

Jacob Tamme: 83%

Willis McGahee: 69%

Knowshon Moreno: 27%

Brandon Stokley: 25%

As you can see, majority of the sets the Broncos ran were 2 TE sets. If this is the case again, we will be in more base sets than nickel sets. That means Owens or whoever won't be seeing too much field. But that also means Dent will be. I see him blitzing up the middle a lot with Nic and Spoon manning up the TEs.

The problem the Steelers had with stopping the Broncos was cornerback play from Keenan Lewis and Ike Taylor. I'd say Asante is better than Ike and DRob is better than Lewis. But like I said prior, our corner play won't matter if Moore and Decoud don't step up this game. The Steelers corners sucked but the only safety they had was Troy P and he was playing close to the line. They were missing Clark.

So I think we should be able to handle the players the Broncos field, but it will come down to stopping them and making Peyton force things under pressure. Peyton is good, but people keep thinking this is Peyton with Reggie, Collie and Clark. This isn't. He's still great, but is supporting cast is very beatable.

Yea, I'm more worried about their TEs more than anything, as you stated it will all come down to getting hands on Manning, thing is I think we can go toe to toe with them points wise, I would like to see more LDE rotation, I dont think Edwards wants to do anything but draw his fkng paycheck, hopefully Nolan got something under sleeve, we need a few stops and a couple big plays on D and we will be fine ........

The Denver Broncos signed former New England Patriots center, Dan Koppen on Tuesday. On the surface this appears to be a move to add depth to the interior of the offensive line. However if I was JD Walton, the Broncos current center, I’d be looking over my shoulder. It’s my opinion that Koppen is being in here to eventually replace Walton as the starting center, and there are a number of reasons why.

Since John Elway and John Fox took over, they haven’t been thrilled with Walton as the center. The Broncos went hard after former Indianapolis Colts center, Jeff Saturday who worked with Peyton Manning for years. The two parties could not come to an agreement but it was very apparent that the front office has been looking to upgrade that position. In April, the team drafted Phillip Blake with the hope that he would eventually be the guy to take over. The Broncos have not seen the progress they were hoping for from Blake to this point, and there was some thought he might not even make the team. It also needs to be mentioned that it is not just the Broncos, Walton is considered by those who follow the NFL as one of the five worst centers in the league. Some of those people are scouts!

In Koppen, the Broncos are getting a guy that has played with another franchise quarterback in Tom Brady and has played in Super Bowls. Koppen has also had extensive experience in the no huddle offense, the Patriots don’t run it all the time but when they do it’s always effective. He knows how to check off on the fly, he has seen more than Walton has and is a better run blocker than Walton. To be fair, Koppen was released by the Patriots because of his ineffective play so it remains to be seen if he can regain his form. Make no mistake, though, if Koppen is right then Walton is in trouble.

At the very least, the Denver Broncos have added some much needed depth to the interior of the offensive line. The question now who is providing the depth, Koppen or Walton?

Dude Bae Bae is a monster. He will be drawing a safety most of the game.

Our best bet to beat Manning is to get him uncomfortable in the pocket and get him on the ground.

No he's not. I'm not sold. He is very inconsistent and has only looked good against the Steelers. Other than that, he had good games against the Vikings and Pats. He is very stoppable. I wouldn't even put him in the top 30 WRs.

Yea, I'm more worried about their TEs more than anything, as you stated it will all come down to getting hands on Manning, thing is I think we can go toe to toe with them points wise, I would like to see more LDE rotation, I dont think Edwards wants to do anything but draw his fkng paycheck, hopefully Nolan got something under sleeve, we need a few stops and a couple big plays on D and we will be fine ........

If they play a lot of 2 TE sets, I see a number of blitzes coming. Both to stop the run and get after Peyton. Thomas and Decker should not beat Samuel, DRob, Decoud and Moore. Dressen and Tamme are ok. Not vertical threats nor YAC threats. Their interior OL is beatable, so Babs and Jerry should be ready to go.

No he's not. I'm not sold. He is very inconsistent and has only looked good against the Steelers. Other than that, he had good games against the Vikings and Pats. He is very stoppable. I wouldn't even put him in the top 30 WRs.

If they play a lot of 2 TE sets, I see a number of blitzes coming. Both to stop the run and get after Peyton. Thomas and Decker should not beat Samuel, DRob, Decoud and Moore. Dressen and Tamme are ok. Not vertical threats nor YAC threats. Their interior OL is beatable, so Babs and Jerry should be ready to go.

Agreed, D. Thomas was inconsistent last year, but look at his last two games. Granted, both were against the steelers, but he actually has a real QB throwing him the ball this year, and an entire offseason with arguably the best teaching QB ever to play the game. Manning makes scrubs look like Pro-Bowlers.

The 2 TE is going to be intruiging if we play more in our Base package than Nickel Package. I like Akeem Dent, but he is largely a big ? at this point in time. Will he do well? Can he stop the run, or get Manning on the ground? I think the play MR2, our DEs, and LBs is what is going to determine this game.

Edited by IceFalcon

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense, even without Harrison and Clark, is a lot better than the Falcons defense. It's going to be a task on Monday. The Falcons better keep scoring.

Yea, their front 7 is but not their secondary sans Clark. Ike and Asante are a wash. Troy P is better than Decoud. But Moore and DRob are better than Lewis and Mundy.

That's why they lost. They can't blitz with those corners and no Clark. Ryan Clark keeps everything in check and lets Troy P roam. Mundy can't.

Yea they are not vertical threats, but you know Manning gonna work the fk out of them .....We got to keep EVERYTHING in front of us, DeCouds play will be a HUGE factor in this game .......

Agreed, D. Heyward-Bay was inconsistent last year, but look at his last two games. Granted, both were against the steelers, but he actually has a real QB throwing him the ball this year, and an entire offseason with arguably the best teaching QB ever to play the game. Manning makes scrubs look like Pro-Bowlers.

The 2 TE is going to be intruiging if we play more in our Base package than Nickel Package. I like Akeem Dent, but he is largely a big ? at this point in time. Will he do well? Can he stop the run, or get Manning on the ground? I think the play MR2, our DEs, and LBs is what is going to determine this game.

You mean Demaryius. I know he has Peyton now, but to call him a monster has to include previous performance and it's not there to make that claim.

I agree. Dent is a question mark. It's time for him to make a name for himself. If he keeps the middle in check in the run game and at least pressures Peyton, he will suffice. He will play more than 11 snaps this week. I hope he is ready. Dent and Owens will be big talking points this week.

Yea they are not vertical threats, but you know Manning gonna work the fk out of them .....We got to keep EVERYTHING in front of us, DeCouds play will be a HUGE factor in this game .......

That's why I'm not freaking out about Grimes yet. Decoud and Moore have always been my pair that needs to step up this year. Nolan's scheme needs that safety play: Niners and Goldson, Broncos and Dawkins. Safety play is a big part. I think we will see the big nickel this week.

How does our D-Line stack up? I don't really know any of the Broncos O-Line.

They have good OTs and ok Gs and C. Abe and Edwards/Kroy won't be much of factors in my opinion unless we stunt them inside. Babs and Jerry need to own their interior.