Broncos Vs Falcons: Mike Smith Wants More From Run Game

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

Good head coaches can find problems, even in blowout victories. Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith is one of those coaches.

Smith wants to see more production out of his running game, as the Falcons get ready for a Monday night contest against Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos.

"We've got to run it more effectively and more efficiently than we did [sunday]," Smith said. "We have to sustain our blocks. We missed some blocks. We missed some cuts. I think it was a group effort. That is something that we want to make sure we address in the next couple of days because we want to be able to run the ball effectively. Going into the game plan this week, it wasn't the main thing that we wanted to get accomplished."

Running the ball effectively, and therefore controlling the clock and pace of the game, is certainly one way to beat the Broncos. The best way to beat a quarterback like Peyton Manning is to keep him on the sidelines -- and that's exactly what the Falcons may try to do next week.

http://atlanta.sbnat...cons-mike-smith

If we run the ball like Sunday, I believe we might stall our drives, and present the offense with 3rd and long, which nobody likes. Hopefully the run game works well vs. the Broncos, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up.

Guest Negatorris

Running the ball would be HUGE. It would be a way to avoid their pass rushers if we can have a successful run game and Derek Wolfe the 2nd round DT/DE they have.........................a straight beast. This is gonna be a TOUGH TOUGH win to get. I think this will give us a good gauge of how good or bad our O line is.

Man, if we somehow get our run game going, the offense will have their way with the Broncos D.

Edited by QuintorrisLopez

Oh God. I would perfer Smitty focus on the D playing a full game. I liked the way our offense performed. I think if Ryan keeps throwing the ball the way he did, defenses will try to stop the pass allowing us to run ball better....i hope. At the moment I would give the ball more to quizz who actually hit the hole or cut back lane verses running straight into the plie. Either way I would use pass to oprn up the run rather than vics-versa.

But.....I gaurantee that Koetter won't be subborn enough to keep trying to run the ball if it's not working unlike Mularkey. Trying to keep doing the same thing, over and over and over again is one of the reasons the Falcons haven't beaten more playoff teams the last 4 years. We would go into a game with a gameplan and then stick to it no matter what. Koetter won't allow that to happen. He'll do what works and won't keep trying to pound away at something that doesn't.

Turner has to be at least serviceable in this game. Turner, Quizz, and Snelling just have to be good enough running the ball so the linebackers will come up for the play action. I would honestly want to see Quizz more carries in this game. I would like to see Snelling as well but I think they are giving him light work until he gets back in the groove.