The Grimes Injury (During Garbage Time) Owens On The Outside

X-Man21

I watched the Game over on GR, and the injury happened a little over 8:45 left in the 4th quarter. Grimes tore is achilles/calf on a DeWayne Bowe first down play. It wasn't from a tackle, no one ran into him....It was just his footing on the grass, judging by the way Grimes just kicked up and fell onto the ground. But the whole point of this is to bring up the fact that Chris Owens was lined up on the outside right after Grimes was taken out, and Dunta was still in the slot. I think this is a good move to keep Dunta in the slot to where he feels comfortable for the most part of the season as well as where CO is the most comfortable, which is on the outside, Owens has been torched in the slot as well all know from the playoff games. I have always believed that CO has been an underrated talent on the outside since his rookie season, granted that he has made some mistakes and he didnt show much in the KC game , but I feel that he will gel quickly, especially with the supporting cast of the defense and the depth we have in the secondary. Put it this way, we thought Akeem Dent would get the start, but look at how Nicks played he led the team in tackles and made critical plays throughout, like our version of Navorro Bowman (too soon?). The point is, ANYBODY can step up?, and since this injury has happened, I'd rather it in the first week than late in the season like last year so either CO or Franks can step in and get a feel of the first string Now, barring any possible suspension after the special teams scuffle yesterday with Owens and co.

What are your thoughts?

Right now, I'd prefer Owens to just about anyone else. Anyone that we bring in most likely won't be ready to contribute for a few weeks. A lot of fans on this board don't believe that a player can improve.

Owens seems to be stiff in his hips which lead to him getting torched playing shifty quick receivers in the nickel. He's shown he as great speed an as long as he has the sideline to help him I think we'll be fine.

I also think it's a good idea to put Owens in the lineup now and leave him there so he can gel with the defense. I expect us to take some lumps on defense but they'll be fewer and further between the longer the season goes.

Yea, Agree, Hopefully Nolan has acknowledged their strengths and he will decide to keep Dunta at the Nickel slot and put C.O. on the outside for most of next weeks game, fans on this MB have no choice now but to get used to seeing more of Owens and maybe Franks again.

Right now, I'd prefer Owens to just about anyone else. Anyone that we bring in most likely won't be ready to contribute for a few weeks. A lot of fans on this board don't believe that a player can improve.

Owens seems to be stiff in his hips which lead to him getting torched playing shifty quick receivers in the nickel. He's shown he as great speed an as long as he has the sideline to help him I think we'll be fine.

I also think it's a good idea to put Owens in the lineup now and leave him there so he can gel with the defense. I expect us to take some lumps on defense but they'll be fewer and further between the longer the season goes.

Did anyone see Dunta try and play McCluster in the slot yesterday he struggles with staying with the quick shifty types also.

I think our secondary can hold up against Denver regardless of Manning what i'm worried about is the interior d-line ie our DT's and our pass rush this worries me more than our secondary.This game is going to be on Nolan for me he is going to have to bring more pressure so I see these CB's being in man coverage alot we gotta to do more to get to Manning if we only plan on rushing 4 i think we are in alot of trouble.

Did anyone see Dunta try and play McCluster in the slot yesterday he struggles with staying with the quick shifty types also.

I think our secondary can hold up against Denver regardless of Manning what i'm worried about is the interior d-line ie our DT's and our pass rush this worries me more than our secondary.This game is going to be on Nolan for me he is going to have to bring more pressure so I see these CB's being in man coverage alot we gotta to do more to get to Manning if we only plan on rushing 4 i think we are in alot of trouble.

All I know is that i'm not envious of Mike Nolan this week.

Edit: I'm not afraid of Manning, but I have to respect the **** out of his resume.

Edited by ltstorm2

Edwards is the problem.

The FO will want to keep giving him a chance, but I am not sure if this is the game to do it.

It may be time for El Sid.

Edwards is the problem.

The FO will want to keep giving him a chance, but I am not sure if this is the game to do it.

It may be time for El Sid.

Its a tough one but I feel Babs Jerry Walker and co are the problem they got handled easily in that first half against KC I did not like what I saw I really think that front 4 on defense have to set the tone this week.The good thing was though whatever Nolan did after halftime last week the Defensive front 4 were alot stouter in the 2nd half which I guess was a good thing but I gotta think thats where teams will target us they will look to run between the tackles I no thats where I'd target.

Although I'm still a bit concerned about Dunta in the slot he's definately better than what we've seen from Owens in the slot in the past. I do still believe with another year under his belt, Chris may possibly be improved in that area. Oh and I also think Mccluster will be shaking plenty of DB's this year. I also believe that Owens could get lit up in this game because A. Manning and B. Regardless of what Chris has shown in practice, Peyton has probably already said " That's my b!tch " when looking at film on Owens. But if we met Denver in the Superbowl, Owens would be a much better CB by then. I hope Samuel is talking Owens about all of Mannings "tells"

As far as Manning. I seriously don't have a clue as to how we're going to stop him. There are men out there that get paid millions of dollars to come up with plans to stop him that fail A LOT. I surely think we can beat Denver but man when it comes to our 3rd down defense, we let bad QB's look like Montana and Brady's love child. I can definately see us saying after the game " Man we did so good on 1st and 2nd down. We bottled up Mcgahee and Moreno, If we could have only stopped them on 3rd down. "

When will you guys get it Nic can flat out ball. He has for years. But he is peaking right now and will so exponentially with Nolen.

It is like you all got LaCafornication of the brain.

You aint lying. NIcs has been balling for years. This guy is good against the run, good against the pass, can put his hand in the dirt. Nicholas is severly underrated.

Edit: I do confess that I don't watch every play of all the 32 NFL teams week in and week out BUT............ I do not remember the last time I saw a LB completely punk the dog **** out of a OL like he did against Miami in preseason a few weeks ago.

Edited by ltstorm2