Can Nolan Scheme It So That Decoud And Moore Can Alleviate Loss Of Grimes?

Radiohead

I know it sounds ridiculous, but defensive masterminds use their safeties to impact the game in ways that make up for a lack of ability to cover the field.

-- Plus, in today's NFL, covering the field is a lost art.

I'm not saying that Moore or DeCoud could be come the next Ed Reed or Polumalu, but you can tell these two have grown up a lot and are starting to impact the games.

Obviously, there is no clear way to make up for this loss, but if creative scheming can help, I'm relieved as **** that we have Nolan instead of mouth-breathing witless BVG.

Thoughts?

Edited by FalconsBlogger

Things are never as good as they appear, things are never as bad as they appear. Everyone needs to relax. Injuries can be overcome. There is a reason that the backups are on NFL rosters. Now, that being said, Owens and Franks do need to step up from what has been seen out of them in the past. Think about it this way, Grimes came from the practice squad and became a pro-bowler, why cant we find another diamond in the rough? I really have a good feeling that Franks is remotivated and this is his shot. At the very least, he will be going 100%.

Ok lets look at it this way.

We have 2 serviceable corners DR / AS.

Who do we have at Nickle? Owens.

No Depth.

We need another Old Vet who has knees to get in here to shore things up.

That would help, but we don't NEED that. What we need is someone else to step up, mainly on the D-Line so that CB is less of a concern. We made the playoffs last year with this personnel minus Samuel (Grimes was hurt for most of the season). Therefore, if we get improvement anywhere on the defense we should - combined with anticipated continued development of the offense - leave us in good shape as a team.

The only problem with sliding help to make up for a weak link is that you inevitably will leave a weakness somewhere else. Good coaches/qbs will find those weaknesses and try to exploit them. My theory has always been that you can mask one weak link but beyond that is pushing it.

Ultimately getting consistent and effective pressure is now even more important than it was before.

JMHO

Schemes mean jack$hit if you don't have talent. Just ask Steve Spagnuolo.

This is very true. What people don't realize is that Nolan doesn't yet have a full compliment of his players on the roster yet. These guys are mismatch of McKay's and TD's players. The 2013 draft will be filled with defensive players and I believe the Falcons will go defensive heavy in the draft. Then you'll start to see the Falcons defense trend upwards just like San Francisco. Unlike alot of people on this board I didn't expect the defense to make huge strides in one season. We have alot of good players on defense but they don't seem to fit together IMO. Don't get me wrong Nolan will get the most out of them this year, this is what he does. But I think we need temper our expectations a bit on what we expect from this defense.

Edited by TNB

If this were last year, I would be freaking out, but after that last game, and seeing the improvements we were able to make in the half, I will reserve judgment. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, just that I have more confidence that we might be OK than I would've had last year. I will hold off my judgment till next week. Nolan has earned at least that much.

If this were last year, I would be freaking out, but after that last game, and seeing the improvements we were able to make in the half, I will reserve judgment. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, just that I have more confidence that we might be OK than I would've had last year. I will hold off my judgment till next week. Nolan has earned at least that much.

exactly.

We lost Grimes for 4 games last season and we didn't become the worst pass defense in the league. This season we have Asante and Robinson to replace Grimes and Robinson. I think Nolan can make this work. If Owens/McClain/Franks are a huge liability in coverage, we'll see more Safety help and/or blitzing to force the offense to get the ball out quicker.

Honestly, our first half coverage really wasn't that great with Grimes in there. Of course losing a Pro Bowl caliber player hurts. But it's not crippling. We still have a lot of playmakers on defense. Spoon, Abe, Moore, and Asante are all Pro Bowl caliber players. When 4 out of your 11 guys on defense are Pro Bowl caliber, you need your other 7 to play solid football and your defense will still be good.

If our offense can get out to early leads, our defense can look great. The more predictable we can make their offense, the more ways we can attack them.

Honestly, I'd rather see Nolan throw blitz after blitz at the opposing offense in the chance that someone can get to the QB, even if we get burned for a big play, instead of taking the Cover 2 sit in a zone with no effective pressure on the QB approach BVG loved.

Edited by FalconsBlogger