Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Espn Total Qbr

406 posts in this topic

Yes it is. And the QB rating system awarded them accordingly. That is my point.

Yes it did. But more so because of their high ypa and completion percentage than touchdowns and interceptions.

I love how ESPN made up their own stat and completely ignores the standard QB Rating system.

And man, do they LOVE shoving it down our throats constantly. Again, I have to ask myself...why do I ever watch ESPN?

I like the stat, Ryan is consistently among the best in it, I don't know the formula but I think it takes more things into a account, like thrown away passes and things that typically hurt QB's in the other stat.

The other stat is so stupid though as the best is 158.3 or whatever, give me a solid number man.

I love how ESPN made up their own stat and completely ignores the standard QB Rating system.

And man, do they LOVE shoving it down our throats constantly. Again, I have to ask myself...why do I ever watch ESPN?

I lol'd at this post and the fact that it got likes. I mean i understand how people hate on ESPN because they are annoying with the Tebow/Jets crap during the season and the Miami Heat during NBA, but the QBR is actually legitimate.

Just because the "standard QB Rating system" was first doesn't mean it should be the basis or can not be completely ignored. The QB rating now is garbage. QBR is far and away a much better stat, but it is still a freaking stat. You can't justify a players worth based on stat alone, but QBR is far and away better than the old rating system.

I noticed they changed a few things this year so checked the all time best games. The only 100 rating is Charlie Batch.

12/17 186 10.9 3 2

5 26 (rushing)

Does that look like a perfect game to you?

Jamarcus has the 10th best, Ryan hits the list at 28 and 29. Vs KC is currently 35th best all time. At least the Jamarcus one looks legit.

10/11 152 13.8 1 0

3 3

Of course this was a blowout and they say you get more points in close games and comebacks.

It looks nice, but in the end the secrecy makes me wonder.

So because ESPN made it then it's just completely worthless? So I guess that makes all those player ratings on PFF completely useless too right?

Don't take it personal. It was more a knock on the overall arrogance of ESPN. Keep in mind this is the network that puts music and movie stars on SportsCenter when they are affiliated with their parent/sister companies. A lot of what they do is a total joke.

I lol'd at this post and the fact that it got likes. I mean i understand how people hate on ESPN because they are annoying with the Tebow/Jets crap during the season and the Miami Heat during NBA, but the QBR is actually legitimate.

Just because the "standard QB Rating system" was first doesn't mean it should be the basis or can not be completely ignored. The QB rating now is garbage. QBR is far and away a much better stat, but it is still a freaking stat. You can't justify a players worth based on stat alone, but QBR is far and away better than the old rating system.

Everyone has an opinion. That's yours.

In the simplest terms possible, can somebody give me the formula for calculating QBR? I am curious to see what the actual calculation looks like.

I think its a fact that the QBR is better than the old QB Rating. Its much more specific and brings in much more factors.

Does anyone think it's funny that on ESPN's stat page, they still use passer rating, but don't include the total QBR at all?

I think its a fact that the QBR is better than the old QB Rating. Its much more specific and brings in much more factors.

Cool. Tell me what the formula is, since it is so specific.

Further controversy erupted when the Total QBR system gave the Denver Broncos' Tim Tebow a higher rating than the Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers in their respective Week 5 contests. Noting that Rodgers completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns in a win over the Atlanta Falcons, while Tebow completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown, and six rushes for 38 yards and a touchdown, in a loss to the San Diego Chargers, Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.com wrote that he'll "continue to ignore ESPN’s Total QBR stat."[10] Rodgers himself was surprised: "I saw the [QBR stats] and chuckled to myself. I played a full game, [Tebow] played the half. He completed four passes, I completed 26. I think it incorporates QB runs as well ... The weighting of it doesn't make a whole lot of sense."

Yeah that QBR is awesomeness.

like most every statistic it only attempts to give the viewer of it an idea of how that player performs on average. Matt Ryan played a great game Sun. & the QBR reflects that. After 16 games it will reflect a average of his entire season. Since we watch Matt every week, we will see the ups & downs & probably have a better opinion of Matt, good or bad, then the rest of the country.This stat just gives the guys at ESPN a way of saying "hey this guy is good" or "this guy is struggling" when giving their analysis.

paulitik likes this

like most every statistic it only attempts to give the viewer of it an idea of how that player performs on average. Matt Ryan played a great game Sun. & the QBR reflects that. After 16 games it will reflect a average of his entire season. Since we watch Matt every week, we will see the ups & downs & probably have a better opinion of Matt, good or bad, then the rest of the country.This stat just gives the guys at ESPN a way of saying "hey this guy is good" or "this guy is struggling" when giving their analysis.

You are right. The total QBR is ESPN's opinion based on them watching the game tape and telling us what they saw.

I really don't like either QB Rating system. For one, everything a QB does can never be measured and trying to do so is kind of futile. Two, a QB should never be able to earn a "perfect" score if there is even ONE incompletion much less multiple incompletions. That's not perfect. These are just systems to legitimize players when those who watch the games can tell who can play and who can't.

Matt Ryan doesn't need this system to justify his play. His play has spoken for itself so far this season and for his career for the most part.

Incompletions can be good plays. Throwing the ball away rather than taking a sack is a really good idea and the QBR reflects that.

I don't even pay attention to this QBR and Didn't Trent Dilfer help create it

I hope they just did the opposite of whatever they suggested.biggrin.png

QBR is just like PFF's or Football outsider's advanced stats-useful as a supplement to watching the game, not a substitute for watching it.

Would like to know, for example, how they scored the pick 6 that Ryan threw in the Colts game last year [very similar to the one Cutler threw Sunday] It was quick slant down by the Falcons end zone, Ryan looks one way, then turns back and throws a quick pass to White. White let the DB get in front of him and it was intercepted and returned for a TD, however Ryan did his part perfectly. It's a blind pass, he's trusting White to make sure he got in front of the DB. How is that counted.

How about a pick where the WR ran the wrong route?

Or one where the ball hits the receiver in both hands, goes through his hands and is intercepted?

Or a pick off a botched flea flicker play?

And yes, in case you're wondering, those were the 4 Ryan picks from the last 9 games of last year. White let a ball go through his hands in NO, flea flicker was houston, Jones ran a wrong route. That was balanced out by 20 TDs during that span.

QBR is not all that, but it's no less annoying than Passer Rating. I think it's fine. If ESPN wants to use it, let em and quit whining.

While I can appreciate your condescention, I'll whine as much as I want.

I really just wanted somebody to tell me exactly how the stat is calculated so we can have an educated conversation. Can anyone find the exact calculation?

QBR is just like PFF's or Football outsider's advanced stats-useful as a supplement to watching the game, not a substitute for watching it.

Would like to know, for example, how they scored the pick 6 that Ryan threw in the Colts game last year [very similar to the one Cutler threw Sunday] It was quick slant down by the Falcons end zone, Ryan looks one way, then turns back and throws a quick pass to White. White let the DB get in front of him and it was intercepted and returned for a TD, however Ryan did his part perfectly. It's a blind pass, he's trusting White to make sure he got in front of the DB. How is that counted.

White didn't help him, but Ryan can't throw that ball. There is no such thing as a "blind" pass when you are an NFL QB. He has to hold onto that one.

White didn't help him, but Ryan can't throw that ball. There is no such thing as a "blind" pass when you are an NFL QB. He has to hold onto that one.

Whole point of that play is trusting the WR to get in front of the DB, The QB looks the other way, then turns and throws the pass, if the QB doesn't throw it immediately, then it'll be defensed anyway.

While I can appreciate your condescention, I'll whine as much as I want.

I really just wanted somebody to tell me exactly how the stat is calculated so we can have an educated conversation. Can anyone find the exact calculation?

Im pretty sure 567 posted the math way back when.

Im pretty sure 567 posted the math way back when.

No he didn't, because ESPN has never released the math. That's the point I am trying to get at. He posted a long winded narrative that never actually provides the formula for calculating the rating.

No he didn't, because ESPN has never released the math. That's the point I am trying to get at. He posted a long winded narrative that never actually provides the formula for calculating the rating.

Don't have the formulas from PFF or Football outsiders or anybody with the advanced stats that I'm aware of. Doesn't mean they're without value.

Fooled me and probably their plan. I quit and lost interest after 1/2 a page. I cant say for sure either way. I am lazy.

Peyton likes this

Whole point of that play is trusting the WR to get in front of the DB, The QB looks the other way, then turns and throws the pass, if the QB doesn't throw it immediately, then it'll be defensed anyway.

Take a look at the play again. I want to point out 3 things.

1. Matt Ryan doesn't throw the ball right away.

2. Powers jumped the route right away.

3. Matt Ryan is staring straight at Jerraud Powers when he nails him in the gut with a pass with Powers standing on the 4 yard line.

There is nothing a WR can do when a CB is playing the slant all the way because the WR is going to start the route straight. He can't recover if the CB jumps the route on the first step.

Matt has to not make that throw. I am sure that he would say the same. Powers was less than 10 feet from the line of scrimmage when he caught that ball.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d823d2b19/Powers-pick-six

But...our disagreement on this play does show the problem with subjective analysis in statistics keeping.

Don't have the formulas from PFF or Football outsiders or anybody with the advanced stats that I'm aware of. Doesn't mean they're without value.

I don't pay attention to those either. PFF had Matt Ryan as the best QB in the league in 2010. I love the guy, but I thought that was ridiculous.

I don't pay attention to those either. PFF had Matt Ryan as the best QB in the league in 2010. I love the guy, but I thought that was ridiculous.

No offense, but you not using them doesn't mean they're without value either.

And, I've changed my mind on the Ryan pick 6, was going from memory, you're right, he shouldn't have thrown that one.

Still would love to know how they judged that.