Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Espn Total Qbr

406 posts in this topic

OK.

You just took Matt Cassel's 2010 season over Chris Chandler's Super Bowl season.

Yep. 27 TDs and 7 INTs are better than 25 TDs and 12 INTs when the completion percentage and yards are pretty much equal. Again I think ypa is the wrong stat to use. I think ypc is a much better stat.

Yep. 27 TDs and 7 INTs are better than 25 TDs and 12 INTs when the completion percentage and yards are pretty much equal. Again I think ypa is the wrong stat to use. I think ypc is a much better stat.

Stop it. Just watch the da*n game, it tells you so much more than stats.

Peyton likes this

OK.

You just took Matt Cassel's 2010 season over Chris Chandler's Super Bowl season.

So what you're saying is that Cassel would have won us the SB in 98? I blame Dimitroff.

Yeah I just disagree with you.

You can look at the QBs who have done the best in YPA over the last 30 years or so:

Kurt Warner 2000 9.9 YPA Made the playoffs with a defense that finished 31st in points allowed.

Chris Chandler 1998 9.6 YPA 14-2 Went to the Super Bowl

Aaron Rodgers 2011 9.2 YPA Went 15-1

Peyton Manning 2004 9.2 YPA 12-4, first in scoring

Ben Roethlesberger 2005 8.9 YPA won the Super Bowl

If you are doing well in this stat, you are pretty much winning period. That's not true of interceptions. You can be not throwing INTs and losing.

Stop it. Just watch the da*n game, it tells you so much more than stats.

Right. Nobody who watched Cassel in 2010 would say he was better than Chandler in 1998.

Yeah I just disagree with you.

You can look at the QBs who have done the best in YPA over the last 30 years or so:

Kurt Warner 2000 9.9 YPA Made the playoffs with a defense that finished 31st in points allowed.

Chris Chandler 1998 9.6 YPA 14-2 Went to the Super Bowl

Aaron Rodgers 2011 9.2 YPA Went 15-1

Peyton Manning 2004 9.2 YPA 12-4, first in scoring

Ben Roethlesberger 2005 8.9 YPA won the Super Bowl

If you are doing well in this stat, you are pretty much winning period. That's not true of interceptions. You can be not throwing INTs and losing.

So you're saying it's ok to throw more interceptions if you have a great ypa? You do know the Chiefs won 10 games in 2010 right? But I'll be honest. I thought the stat line you posted was of Brees from 2004 when the Chargers won 12 games.

So you're saying it's ok to throw more interceptions if you have a great ypa? You do know the Chiefs won 10 games in 2010 right? But I'll be honest. I thought the stat line you posted was of Brees from 2004 when the Chargers won 12 games.

Nobody on this list I just posted won less than 12 games.

Compare the QBS who have had the great YPA years to the QBs who have had the low INT years.

Those include:

Huard

Brady

Deberg

Gerrard

Smith

Bartkowski

O'donnel

Campbell

Brian Griese

Are you seeing my point?

Damon Huard holds the record for lowest INT% in an NFL season, set in 2006. Anybody remember that?

Nah, didn't think so.

It's not just about not throwing interceptions. It's about not throwing interceptions while throwing for a lot of touchdowns. Take away all the other numbers. 27 TD's and 7 INT's is better than 25 TD's and 12 INT's. Just focus on those numbers. Forget yards, ypa, ypc, completion percentage and who posted the stats. I'd rather have my QB have 27 TD's and only 7 INT's than 25 TD's and 12 INT's. That's all I'm saying.

Damon Huard holds the record for lowest INT% in an NFL season, set in 2006. Anybody remember that?

Nah, didn't think so.

It all depends on what you want.

If you want a game manager your looking for low int% and high completion %, if you want a play maker your going to have to trade off on those two in favor of high ypa% and yards

567 posted numbers earlier between Rodgers and Ryan and wondered why even though Ryan had over 300 yards and no turnovers his qb rating was lower. If you actually watched those games that you can see Ryan was dinking and dunking for around 6 yards a pop on 50 attempts and Rodgers was chucking it down field and had more yards on less attempts. That just tells me that the qb rating favors those that takes risks more than those that play timid.

Probably why 567 likes the espn rating so much.

It all depends on what you want.

If you want a game manager your looking for low int% and high completion %, if you want a play maker your going to have to trade off on those two in favor of high ypa% and yards

567 posted numbers earlier between Rodgers and Ryan and wondered why even though Ryan had over 300 yards and no turnovers his qb rating was lower. If you actually watched those games that you can see Ryan was dinking and dunking for around 6 yards a pop on 50 attempts and Rodgers was chucking it down field and had more yards on less attempts. That just tells me that the qb rating favors those that takes risks more than those that play timid.

Probably why 567 likes the espn rating so much.

Actually the only numbers I posted where numbers posted by Ryan in different games. Please try again.

It's not just about not throwing interceptions. It's about not throwing interceptions while throwing for a lot of touchdowns. Take away all the other numbers. 27 TD's and 7 INT's is better than 25 TD's and 12 INT's. Just focus on those numbers. Forget yards, ypa, ypc, completion percentage and who posted the stats. I'd rather have my QB have 27 TD's and only 7 INT's than 25 TD's and 12 INT's. That's all I'm saying.

What I am saying is YPA is the greatest indicator of winning and scoring of any of the QB stats...that's why all those guys that have had big years won Super Bowls or had otherwise incredible years.

So because you (myself too) can calculate QB rating that makes it better? It is a very flawed stat. It puts way too much importance on completion percentage and yards per attempt and not nearly enough importance on touchdowns and interceptions.

That's why guys can have a stat line of 23-for-33, 316 YDS, 3 TD, 2 INT and still have a QB rating of 105.1. But a QB can have a stat line of 32-for-50, 316 YDS, 3 TD, 0 INT and have a QB Rating of 101.8. Which game is better? The first one or the second one? According to QB rating the first game is better. But I'd rather have my QB have the second game.

Whose numbers were those and what game.

Back when Ryan had that game against the Ravens someone was on here complaining about why Rodgers' rating was better than Ryans with similar numbers to that in the bolded.

If not then oh well....still doesn't change the point I was making.

Also, I'm not saying the QB rating is a perfect indicator, but it's pretty d*mn good over the long haul.

Pretty much everyone agrees that Rodgers 2011, Brady 2007, and Manning 2004 were the three best seasons for QBs in NFL history, and that's exactly how the QB rating bears them out.

Whose numbers were those and what game.

Back when Ryan had that game against the Ravens someone was on here complaining about why Rodgers' rating was better than Ryans with similar numbers to that in the bolded.

If not then oh well....still doesn't change the point I was making.

Actually those numbers you bolded were numbers I just came up with off the top of my head. The other numbers I posted were from Ryan and Ryan alone because I got them off this page

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00/gamelog/

Well then maybe more credit needs to be placed on touchdowns. Here's one example of why I don't like how the QB Rating is calculated.

24-for-33 (72.7%), 299 YDS (9.1 avg), 3 TD, 1 INT - 118.1 QB Rating

21-for-27 (77.8%), 220 YDS (8.1 avg), 3 TD, 1 INT - 122.2 QB Rating

Don't look at the QB Rating. Just focus on the game lines. Which one is better? I would take the first one over the second one but according to QB Rating the second line is better.

This is just for Atl/0

Game 1 is Ryan's stats from 2010 against the Bengals.

Game 2 is Ryan's stats from 2009 against the Panthers.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00/gamelog/

Also, I'm not saying the QB rating is a perfect indicator, but it's pretty d*mn good over the long haul.

Pretty much everyone agrees that Rodgers 2011, Brady 2007, and Manning 2004 were the three best seasons for QBs in NFL history, and that's exactly how the QB rating bears them out.

But look at the touchdowns and interceptions those guys had that year. Brady 50 TD, 8 INT. Rodgers, 45 TD, 6 INT. Manning 49 TD, 10 INT. That's pretty **** good too.

This is just for Atl/0

Game 1 is Ryan's stats from 2010 against the Bengals.

Game 2 is Ryan's stats from 2009 against the Panthers.

http://www.pro-footb...anMa00/gamelog/

Wasn't talking about those I was referring to the post I quoted you on but whatever.

Besides those numbers are very similar and not surprisingly ended up the way the did with the rating.

But look at the touchdowns and interceptions those guys had that year. Brady 50 TD, 8 INT. Rodgers, 45 TD, 6 INT. Manning 49 TD, 10 INT. That's pretty **** good too.

Yes it is. And the QB rating system awarded them accordingly. That is my point.