Is It Possible To Sign Grimes To A 2 Yr Contract Now For Relief?

jeho71

I don't know exactly how the cap works and if the $$$ for this season is already set. Can you rework contracts mid-(2nd week)season?

If so, would it be possible to sign Grimes to a 2 year contract to move some of this year's salary to next but make it essentially the same amount that he's getting this season?

There is probably NO way an agent would allow this but I'm just curious if this is a possibility since he's playing under the franchise tag now. Essentially split the $10 mil into two seasons of 5 million to give him the same guarantee and then throw in some roster/performance bonuses if he happens to make it back to form.

No thanks. He gets 10mil for sitting on the couch this season. Now if he wants to give us a good deal then maybe. But there's 0.00000000000000000000000000001% chance of that happening, most players don't do that anymore, it's all about the Benjamins. **** it was questionable if we'd even keep him after this season if he didn't get hurt, this is just a nail in the coffin boys.

Player goes on IR, gets rewarded with longer contract.

I wasn't talking about rewarding him but rather trying to spread out the cap hit from this year with next to free up some room to sign another CB. I don't think he has much chance of signing a big deal next year now anyways so was thinking that he **might** consider it if it gets him a roster spot next season.

I obviously think that it is highly unlikely but was curious if it were even possible.