The Potential One Game Against St. Louis

Isosceles

(or LA)

I know I am counting this wild card playoff chicken WAY before it’s hatched. But if anyone so cares to indulge me with it, trusting that the so-called jinx thing is OFF, here is one thing I think I can see:

Chris Medlen will not be available for the start. I figure that considering the current Braves rotation, Medlen will be due to start Monday, October 1 against the Pirates in Pittsburgh. The Wild Card game would be Thursday the 4th.

Anybody (that cares to discuss) see anything different in this regard?

Thanks!

J

P.S. (We will NOT blow this current 5-game wild card lead!) smile.png

P.P.S. I am only talking about the potential wild card playoff game. I KNOW there is still some hope for the East Division title.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd adjust our rotation accordingly (or at least I hope they would).

I can see doing that if the lead stays large, like 5 or 4 games heading into the final series at Pittsburgh.

But if we are fighting to keep a better record than St. Louis (or LA), then I see difficulty in adjusting a rotation.

Thanks for the input so far!

J

I can see doing that if the lead stays large, like 5 or 4 games heading into the final series at Pittsburgh.

But if we are fighting to keep a better record than St. Louis (or LA), then I see difficulty in adjusting a rotation.

Thanks for the input so far!

J

It really depends on the situation. To be honest, I think they would still set up the rotation to get Medlen in that game even if we were in jeopardy of not being at home. It's not like either of those stadiums (STL or LA) are small parks, so we wouldn't be playing into the hands of the opponents. And HFA in baseball, more so than any other sport, is overrated IMO.

It really depends on the situation. To be honest, I think they would still set up the rotation to get Medlen in that game even if we were in jeopardy of not being at home. It's not like either of those stadiums (STL or LA) are small parks, so we wouldn't be playing into the hands of the opponents. And HFA in baseball, more so than any other sport, is overrated IMO.

Yes indeed. And you know how I feel about Atlanta playing on the road. I wanted to petition MLB to let them play all the rest of their games on the road. lol

Here’s another thing: Don’t two or three of our starters really have a handle on the Cards? I think even Minor, with his little sub-.500 record, would make a great start for the Braves if he was the one for the 1-game playoff. I would feel fairly well with Hudson too.

Not so with Hanson, Delgado, Tehran or Mul-whatever it is.

J

(or LA)

I know I am counting this wild card playoff chicken WAY before it’s hatched. But if anyone so cares to indulge me with it, trusting that the so-called jinx thing is OFF, here is one thing I think I can see:

Chris Medlen will not be available for the start. I figure that considering the current Braves rotation, Medlen will be due to start Monday, October 1 against the Pirates in Pittsburgh. The Wild Card game would be Thursday the 4th.

Anybody (that cares to discuss) see anything different in this regard?

Thanks!

J

P.S. (We will NOT blow this current 5-game wild card lead!) smile.png

P.P.S. I am only talking about the potential wild card playoff game. I KNOW there is still some hope for the East Division title.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but *Kris.

With that said, I'd feel comfortable with Minor or Hudson on the mound for a one game playoff.

Edited by ChildsPlease85

Fredi was asked this question on the pre-game radio show and he said he was confident in any of the starters in a one game playoff and he had no plans to setup the rotation so that a certain starter pitches the playoff game. That means the likely starter could be anyone, including Sheets or Jurrgens.

I am glad you posted this young mr. grace. So I see it's on other people's mind too.

Of course Freddie HAS to say, publicly, that he is confident in all his starters.

But who the fluck is he kidding? If a Juerrgens is trotted out there, I won't even bother watching. I'll just be on alert for the collective SIGH coming out of Turner Field after first 1 maybe 2 innings.

Freddie can't be flipping around on this. Last season, I totally gave up on Atlanta the second (I forget his name) was given the start in the last series here against Philadelphia. The starter with that losing record, he had lost his last 7 or 8 starts I believe.

Freddie has got to show some dayum muscle and firgure out a way to get the best-performing pitcher, or at worst the 2nd best performing pitcher, on the mound for that 1 game.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

I am glad you posted this young mr. grace. So I see it's on other people's mind too.

Of course Freddie HAS to say, publicly, that he is confident in all his starters.

But who the fluck is he kidding? If a Juerrgens is trotted out there, I won't even bother watching. I'll just be on alert for the collective SIGH coming out of Turner Field after first 1 maybe 2 innings.

Freddie can't be flipping around on this. Last season, I totally gave up on Atlanta the second (I forget his name) was given the start in the last series here against Philadelphia. The starter with that losing record, he had lost his last 7 or 8 starts I believe.

Freddie has got to show some dayum muscle and firgure out a way to get the best-performing pitcher, or at worst the 2nd best performing pitcher, on the mound for that 1 game.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Derek Lowe?

If I were manager I would setup Medlen for the 1 game playoff and then Hudson for game 1 of the NLDS and Minor for game 2. With the WC winner getting games 1 and 2 at home I feel much better about Minor pitching at home than I do on the road.

WC winner getting games 1 and 2 at home is news to me. Is this accurate? Just asking.

Thanks!

J

Yes, it is accurate. First and only season this will happen.

So this is what I found. I can’t be the only one that is still confused:

Beginning in 2012, five teams make the playoffs from the American League and National League. There are two wild-card teams (the two teams with the best records that did not win their divisions) and three division champions.

The two wild-card teams play each other in a winner-take-all game scheduled for two days after the season ends. The winner of those games then goes on to the Division Series to face the No. 1 seed.

The Division Series is a best-of-five series. The team with the best overall record gets the top seed and home-field advantage in the playoffs. It hosts Games 1, 2 and 5 in the Division Series round. The team with the second-best record will hosts Games 1, 2 and 5 in its series. But in 2012 only, it will be a 2-3 format, with the team with home-field advantage hosting games 3, 4 and 5.

I got it off some site called baseballaboutl.com or something like that.

To me, this says that the winner of Atl/St. Louis (or LA) will play the No. 1 seed, Washington, which has the home field advantage.

To me, it also says that it is the OTHER NLDS in which the 2-3 format is enacted, for 2012 only.

Somebody tell me what I am missing. Thanks!

J