Clayton Last Call

Carl927

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/lastcall1201/john-clayton-last-call

If anyone had any doubts about Matt Ryan having a breakout season, Sunday's 40-24 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs is a testament to his development. In some ways, the past play calling held him back. Ryan has similar skills to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in being able to control a game at the line of scrimmage. Now, under offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, the handcuffs are off. Ryan is allowed to unleash his skills. Ryan, who completed 75 percent of his passes during the preseason, completed 23 of 31 passes for 299 yards and three touchdowns. The Falcons scored on their first eight possessions.

"This might have been the best game he played," Falcons coach Mike Smith said of Ryan.

The pregame lineup was an omen for the Chiefs. They were without their best cornerback (Brandon Flowers), their best pass-rusher (Tamba Hali) and their starting nose tackle (Anthony Toribio). They didn't have any hope.

After holding back strategy in the preseason, the Falcons unveiled the way Ryan can destroy defenses this season. To help Julio Jones avoid extra coverage, the Falcons often bunched their receivers next to each other to force defenses to play more zone. Without Flowers, the Chiefs had no chance because they often had to line up journeyman Jacques Reeves against Jones. Jones had four catches for 58 yards in the first half, forcing the Chiefs to double-cover him. Once that happened, tight end Tony Gonzales had single coverage, as did Roddy White.

Under Koetter, the Falcons aren't as tied to the run. They called 32 pass plays to 23 runs Sunday. Once the Chiefs adjusted to Jones, the game was over.

Edited by Carl927

To help Julio Jones avoid extra coverage, the Falcons often bunched their receivers next to each other to force defenses to play more zone. Without Flowers, the Chiefs had no chance because they often had to line up journeyman Jacques Reeves against Jones.

Wow. A coordinator who makes it easier for his man to get open! Then when they are forced to play man with a subpar corner, attack him.

If Koetter keeps the handcuffs off and Ryan keeps up this performance, we can make a real push, so long as the defense plays like the second half D and not the first half D. The way Demaryius Thomas gave the Steelers fits, Julio should be able to do the same. HeIl, Ben's OLine is worst than ours and he had time until late. I hope the Birds are ready for this game coming. If Ryan accounts for 4 TDs again, then I think we win.

The only thing to temper my excitement was that an already questionable Chiefs defense was down 4 starters, and also wasnt returning their best corner from last season b/c he went elsewhere.

That being said, Ryan looked ridiculously poised...he made at least 3 plays I've never seen him make due to his solid composure. I'm really excited about our passing game.

Now our running game.......

The only thing to temper my excitement was that an already questionable Chiefs defense was down 4 starters, and also wasnt returning their best corner from last season b/c he went elsewhere.

That being said, Ryan looked ridiculously poised...he made at least 3 plays I've never seen him make due to his solid composure. I'm really excited about our passing game.

The lack of a running game made Ryan's performance all the more impressive. All team needed to do in the past was to stop Turner. Do that, and you could destroy the Falcons.

Ryan proved he could win solely with his arm.

Guest Negatorris

The lack of a running game made Ryan's performance all the more impressive. All team needed to do in the past was to stop Turner. Do that, and you could destroy the Falcons.

Ryan proved he could win solely with his arm.

That's because of MM's stupid 90s philosophy. Our passing game looked great in the preseason, and it has obviously carried over. We don't need to lean on Turner, as long as Ryan is standing tall in the pocket.

Flowers is a little better than Carr, but I guess it doesn't matter due to neither playing. Routs not a bad corner. I believe last year they were 4th is passing D. Only guys they really missed that made a difference was Flowers and Hali. Which is a big loss.

The play that stands out the most to me was the screen to the TE Palmer.

THAT is what I can unpredictable play calling because I would have never guessed in a million years that we had that play in the play book.

I don't think it was the play call, I think it was improvisation. The thing I noticed is that Ryan has outlets every play and it's not always the same player so the defense can't key in on that person. It's very creative.