G-Dawg Game Takes - Falcons/kc Chefs

g-dawg

Well, the game was kind of a microcosm of the pre-season - which is good and bad but mostly good.

• Our suspicions were confirmed that Mike Mularkey was the one sucking all the explosiveness out of the Falcons elite talent.
  • Matt Ryan looked fantastic - just like he did in pre-season - if he continues to get protection, I think you will see something north of 4,500yds passing and 34TDs.
  • The only way to stop Julio Jones is to hope he gets injured - if he's on the field/healthy, he is going to inflict serious carnage on opposing defenses.
  • Koetter is the real deal as an offensive coordinator. He also goes for the jugular. Mularkey thought it was a sin to ever let his team get up by more than 10 points. When you have a team down, you kick them and then you kick them again. I believe Falcons will start operating this way from what I have seen so far.
  • Michael Turner is being phased down - not out but down. I believe you will see more attacking offense with the passing game and less Michael Turner - i'm fine with that but we still need a running threat - hope Turner can muster for one more year.
  • Offensive line looked good, but they were going up against a defensive line without its best/only passrusher(Tamba Hali). I will reserve judgement on the O-Line until next week when Falcons face Von Miller/Elvis Dumervil (Broncos) - that will be a TEST!!!!
  • As to the defense, yeah it looked really, really bad in the first half. Paticularly troubling was we were getting gashed in the running game. I am used to Falcons D sucking in pass defense but not run defense - not sure the culprit but it was ugly.
  • Dunta Robinson got abused all over the field by Dexter McCluster. He's nothing more than an average corner that we paid elite money. If Grimes is hurt, we are seriously screwed.
  • Half time adjustments by Mike Nolan. I won't pretend to be an expert in judging half-time adjustments but maybe some of you can offer opinions. Did the Falcons defense improve in 2nd half because of half-time adjustments, better execution of the players, both or did the Chiefs offense just self-destruct?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Robinson got beat pretty bad yesterday but so did Grimes. Bowe abused Grimes but I guess people have blinders on when it comes to him. All the while heaping "objective" opinions other players way.

I believe Nolan made some second half adjustments. I am glad to see that. It will probably take 2-3 games for the d to gel. New coordinator with a new style with some players being utilized in new roles.

Nothing bad to say about the offense except I would have liked to see a few more productive runs.

Good observations/ post G Dawg. And congrats on the win against Mizzou.

Yes, Robinson got beat pretty bad yesterday but so did Grimes. Bowe abused Grimes but I guess people have blinders on when it comes to him. All the while heaping "objective" opinions other players way.

I believe Nolan made some second half adjustments. I am glad to see that. It will probably take 2-3 games for the d to gel. New coordinator with a new style with some players being utilized in new roles.

Nothing bad to say about the offense except I would have liked to see a few more productive runs.

Good observations/ post G Dawg. And congrats on the win against Mizzou.

I don't really doubt that Nolan made adjustments - but did anybody observe exactly what the adjustments were? clearly we "stoned" the running game in 2nd half and created turnovers - but were we putting an extra defender in the box? did you see more blitzing? I always have such distractions with three kids flying around my barco-lounger that I miss some of the important details......

and thanks, yes I enjoyed the 2nd half(ONLY!) of the UGA game - Jarvis Jones is a Man-Child!

I don't understand this board's obsession with trashing Mike Mularkey. It's really bizarre.

i know you don't understand Peyton - but its OK - really, it is.

btw: Roddy takes veiled shots at Mularkey on multiple occasions - they don't mention Mularkey by name but its implied.

The funniest thing about that "jugular" comment is the last time Koetter and Mularkey went head to head, the Falcons jumped to a 27-0 half time lead and 41-0 3rd quarter lead.

I guess Mularkey went for the jugular by accident.

yeah, this is really relevant........btw, Koetter's QB was rookie Gabbert.....cannot even name the WRs as they should have been Arena League players.

Try again, Peyton.

yeah, this is really relevant........btw, Koetter's QB was rookie Gabbert.....cannot even name the WRs as they should have been Arena League players.

Try again, Peyton.

Regardless of the circumstances, you have to admit it's funny. Gabbert looked pretty competent yesterday.

Don't worry, I got more to say about your "Mularkey thought it was a sin to get up by more than 10 points." That was a good one.

I'm of the opinion that a lot of the criticisms Mularkey are ignorant at best, but there was clearly some sort of disconnect between him and the players. You couldn't really argue otherwise after the Giants loss.

The biggest disconnect in that game is the Falcons should have taken the FGs when they had a chance to get the points.

I'm of the opinion that a lot of the criticisms Mularkey are ignorant at best, but there was clearly some sort of disconnect between him and the players. You couldn't really argue otherwise after the Giants loss.

Hall-of-Famer Tony Gonzalez seemed to indicate after that NYG playoff game that there was a division between play-calling and the offensive players. Roddy White has been critical of play-calling in Mularkey era as well last year and this year - nobody ever mentions Mularkey by name of course.

However, "Peyton of Falcons messageboard" says otherwise...........Hmmmmmm......Who to believe? Roddy/Gonzalez or Petyon.......

I don't know. that's a close call.

The proof will be in the pudding. All Falcons offensive personnel is EXACTLY the same this year as last year. Koetter has the EXACT same players as Mularkey had.

There will be no debate by season's end about what Mularkey did or did not do with his personnel versus Koetter.

I don't understand this board's obsession with trashing Mike Mularkey. It's really bizarre.

You watched the last two playoff games and you really don't understand?

Here's White's comment after yesterday's game:

“This is what it was supposed to be like last year,” said White, in a veiled shot at former offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey. “This is what we expected.”

Do think the MM hate will die down after posters get used to Koetter calling a game that allows his QB to make plays.

True, but it shouldn't have been us getting FGs against a defense that had been that bad all season. Oh yeah, and I'm hoping we've figured out how to get a few inches when we need it this year.

The Green Bay Packers and New England Patriots didn't exactly light up the Giants in the games following, and they didn't have to play in NY.

Me too on a few inches, but I'm not encouraged so far.

The proof will be in the pudding. All Falcons offensive personnel is EXACTLY the same this year as last year. Koetter has the EXACT same players as Mularkey had.

There will be no debate by season's end about what Mularkey did or did not do with his personnel versus Koetter.

The story will be told in the post season, so yesterdays game proved exactly nothing.

In the first half i saw the lbs spreading the d line i guess trying to fill the gaps but in the second half we started to pinch the dline thas why the run were getting stuffed in the middle even billick said that the chiefs are not getting anything up the middle like they did in the first half ,i saw a few times wen charles saw the middle was blocked and tried to bounce it outside but got hit for a loss, that and i saw more blitzing from the safeties and lbs, those were adjustments i saw

You watched the last two playoff games and you really don't understand?

Here's White's comment after yesterday's game:

“This is what it was supposed to be like last year,” said White, in a veiled shot at former offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey. “This is what we expected.”

Do think the MM hate will die down after posters get used to Koetter calling a game that allows his QB to make plays.

F*ck Roddy White. Roddy dropping 3 passes a game last year was the biggest reason the Falcons had any offensive problems at all.

The story will be told in the post season, so yesterdays game proved exactly nothing.

so if the Falcons lose in a shootout in the playoffs, say 38-35, it won't say anything about Mularkey? your statement above is really not at all true. The style of play does matter. Matt Ryan had hard time stepping up in playoffs because the offense was so bloody conservative. Every time the Falcons ran accross a good defense that was playoff caliber - Falcons offense had no answer - running game would get shutdown and it was GAME OVER.

Falcons are going to be aggressive and use their weapons this year - will it result in playoff success? maybe/maybe not - but at least our offensive aggressiveness and style of play will give us a chance if we get to playoffs - and Matt will have supreme confidence in himself - not going into games super-tight worrying about making one mistake.

Mularkey called games tight and it was reflected in the way the Falcons offense played tight.

The truth is that Mike Mularkey's offenses put away more games convincingly and early far more often than any other coordinator this team has ever had. And it's not even remotely close, that is the funniest thing of all.

LOL, now you are comparing Mularkey to 40 years of Falcons futility and using that to make Mularkey look good.....

that is weak.