What To Do With Malcom?

GAbred

I guess this is more of a long term career question. After watching the game Saturday, I see a lot of potential for him on the defensive side of the ball. He can do both sides of the ball now, but long term for his best interest I think he needs to focus on one position. Which one will that be?

Personally, I keep going back and forth. If he's as good as I think as a corner, then imo he should focus there and get limited snaps at wide receiver. If he can't cut it at corner then switching back to receiver seems easier than the other way around. What do you guys think?

We need him a lot more at corner and I think that's his primary position going forward. Grantham has talked about this and said Mitchell was recruited primarily as a defensive back, with opportunities to play on offense as well. He looks to have serious potential at corner, as does Damian Swann.

Mitchell will probably end up playing more on offense than Boykin did, get out there for kick returns some. He just needs to never try and do what he did against Mizzou. The risk of totally blowing the play outweighs the slim chance of making some big return off a bouncer like that.

I just hope that we don't use him too much. We are much deeper at receiver than corner and that will likely remain the case for the remainder of his eligibility. We need him at corner more imo.

He will stay on Defense and Probably be the #2 corner once Everyone is back.

If I had to guess, I think Commings will take Rambo's spot at S until after game 4. So the top 3 corners will still be Mitchell, Swann, and Smith.

After game 4 though I can see Mitchell playing a lot bigger role on offense.

Question for you guys though:

Once we get everyone back and Rambo is back at Safety.

Would our top 4 corners be, in this order...

1.Commings

2.Mitchell

3.Swann

4.Smith

My buddy at 247sports said he thinks Malcolm will move back to offense, especially since the suspended ones are starting to come back. But if Marlon Brown and Wooten continue to play well, I want Mitchell at CB. I just pray we dont see this as a Richard Samuel part 2 affair. If the WR's continue to play well and the DB's are playing well, MM is a luxury. But I definitley want him to stay at DB and participate on O like Boykin did. Old school thought tells us to put the 11 best players on Defense. Good luck throwing on a secondary that features MM, Swann, Smith, Commings, Rambo, Williams, and guys like Bowman and Norman who have now experienced the big time setting.

If he plays D, then he can return kicks (even though he made a dumb play vs Mizzou on the punt return, I dont see him doing that ever again lol)

I don't see the need to switch him back to offense. After this season he will be the #1 corner, he needs as much experience at the position as he can possibly get this year. As good as he was at receiver, I think his potential is even better at corner.

I agree with this. He's dangerous wherever he plays. A potential shut down CB, or a WR who can stretch the field and demand double teams and open up the run game... But i'd rather have him at CB

Isn't part of being on the team training them for the next level? If so, then I think they should put him at the position he will be best at moving forward in life. If there were a need at a position then I can see that, but I think the team will be fine at either position (WR/DB) regardless of where he is at.

Isn't part of being on the team training them for the next level? If so, then I think they should put him at the position he will be best at moving forward in life. If there were a need at a position then I can see that, but I think the team will be fine at either position (WR/DB) regardless of where he is at.

He's a corner at the next level if he gets that far, which he should. Tremendously talented, versatile player. Playing offense was just a bonus with Mitchell, the intention was to use him on defense. He's in that Champ Bailey and Brandon Boykin mold.

Malcolm Mitchell's NFL future is at corner and he needs to stay there. Yeah he can play some offense, but he will be an NFL corner. He has it all for that. He could be a very good wr for us, but he will be the #1 corner for this team by the end of the year if not sooner.

I'm with you Sac!! Mitchell was a stud corner at Valdosta and he will be in the league. We're good at receiver this year so leave him on D. Even when we get all of our starters back, I still think he's the best corner on the team. Either way it's a good problem to have!! Edited by Pollack4Heisman