Tackling..

kiwifalcon

Fellow AFMBers I'm from a part of the world where Tackling in a contact sport is very important.

What I saw today and for the last 2-3 seasons with our defense is far to many whiffs and straight up misses I for one am over it.I see alot of very bad technique involved with alot of our players.to much of this crap where they either hit with there shoulders and bounce off or arm tackling where they don't wrap correctly.But the one I hate the most is diving in front of a guy and hopefully he trips over you good god i see alot of this in the NFL i hate it to be honest

I wonder if alot of tackling technique is taught in the off season.I'm telling you now thats something we need to improve and I'd bring a defensive coach from down our ways to teach DB's and especially LBers how to use correct tackling technique.An NRL defensive coach would sought out these issues quick smart and would teach the above how to hit properly.

Had to get it off my chest for the most part alot of the DB's and LBers don't no how to tackle correctly.

Our best tackler is Stephen Nicolas by a mile.

Edited by kiwifalcon

The thing for me is as above you see I didn't have to look at the stats I can see by the technique he shows on game film.

Thats one thing about the NFL the tackling its average we play without pads in Rugby and League down my part of the world but they hit just as hard with out the helmets and the pads.

Its all about technique I just wonder if this taught in the offseason especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Teams worry so much about injuries that I just don't think they practice it, & it shows up in the 1st couple of games. Last year we looked horrible tackling the Bears, the first half of this game didn't look much better, I will say our defense as a whole looked 1000 times better after the half which was sorely missing last year, I don't like this "launching" yourself at players that so many seemed to do now, but i see it at the lower levels all so which tells me proper technique across the board isn't being taught at the lower levels as much anymore.

Another thing I look at is where the tackler makes first point of contact very seldom is it below the waist.

I'm a bit older but we used to use old truck tubes and this forced you to tackle at a lower point and everything else after would align your body in the correct position head up driving through your opponents upper thigh with the shoulder and wrapping with your arms and head to the side and most importantly keeping your head up which keeps your back neck straight and your body is in a position of strength.

Another thing I look at is where the tackler makes first point of contact very seldom is it below the waist. I'm a bit older but we used to use old truck tubes and this forced you to tackle at a lower point and everything else after would align your body in the correct position head up driving through your opponents upper thigh with the shoulder and wrapping with your arms and head to the side and most importantly keeping your head up which keeps your back neck straight and your body is in a position of strength.

You can't cause fumbles going low though - which is why I'd guess most players go high these days.

You can't cause fumbles going low though - which is why I'd guess most players go high these days.

I'd forget about that with the fact we make far to many whiffs because of what you have just described I'd rather have a guy make the tackle then go for a fumble that rarely comes off and give up yards.I can't stand watching it all these misses it kills me.

I 100% agree with my fellow kiwi here tackling it terrible in the NFL they can "hit" sure but no one ever seems to make a text book tackle ever.

It's like no one is taught the #1 motto that should be on the mind of everyone on defense, the guy cannot run without legs.

The strike zone in NFL seems to be from the waist up not the waist down. TBH the first guy should always be hitting the legs with others coming over the top to drive him backwards or try and strip.