Atlanta Falcons Mock Draft (Based On What I Saw From This Game)

Zodiac

I was typing analysis but the keypad on my laptop auto highlighted the entire post as I was backspacing, so for ones that I haven't scouted yet I'm not going to bother with the analysis, any ?s you have I will answer

1st Round-Kawann Short, DT, Purdue, 6'3 320 LBs.

-

Kawann Short- Kawann Short had an amazing game today. He was a constant force on the interior of the Boilermaker's defensive line and he had to be doubled team for the majority of the game. That didn't stop Short though he still managed to get two sacks and absolutely dominate the line of scrimmage along with Bruce Gaston. The big thing I noticed about Short wasn't his play, rather his size. It appears Short has added more size to his frame so he could play NG for the Boilermakers in their 3-4 looks. Short played 5-tech when the Boilermakers went to their 3-4 looks last year and Short just looks bigger this year than he did last year. This is huge news as Short seemed to be more of a presence in the run game with the added weight and still retained his great movement skills and agility. The only downside from this is that Short had to be rotated in and out of the game as he got fatigued easier. Short showed the same dominant hands that he did last year in this game on 3 different occasions Short ripped away from the offensive guard or center and then proceeded to nail QB Everett Golson. Short was simply unblockable at times in this game, especially when he was fresh. Overall Short was nothing short of dominant in this game and he had to be doubled teamed whenever it was available. I had him ranked as a first rounder but after this performance it looks like he could take his stock into the top 20.

2nd Round- Joe Fauria, TE, UCLA, 6'7, 255 LBs, 4.68 40

3rd Round- Stedman Bailey, WR, WVU, 5'10, 195 LBs, 4.49 40

4th Round- Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue, 5'11, 195 LBs, 4.49 40

-

Josh Johnson- Johnson was the other very impressive prospect for Purdue in this game. Johnson was given the duties of covering Tyler Eifert and well when you 5'11 that task isn't exactly the easiet in the world. However Johnson had good coverage on Eifert on two of his catches and contested many of his fade routes in the end zone. Johnson nearly picked a pass off in the first quarter when he jumped a route, but he dropped the ball. Johnson showed good coverage skills all day and was blanketing his man for the most part. The one big negative I did see is that either Johnson or the safety blew a coverage that left a ND WR wide open down the field. If that was on Johnson he has to do a better job of knowning his assignments. It isn't a huge deal as it's easily corrected but it's still something you don't want to see. Johnson's biggest play of the game came late in the 4th when he stripped QB Everett Golston while Golston was scrambling and recovered. Johnson really played well in the game today and really helped his stock. Right now I would put Johnson in the 4th round range with potential to move into the middle of the 2nd round.

5th Round- Steve Greer, MLB, UVA, 6'2, 235 LBs, 4.68 40.

Steve Greer- Steve Greer was easily the most impressive play in the game today. Greer made an impact in all 3 aspects of his game and he was perhaps the most impressive coverage LB in today's game. Greer was actually keeping up with Penn State's receivers in man coverage and was very aware of his zone and the depth he needed to take. Greer was consistently blanketing his man on the underneath routes and only allowed one catch late in the game and he immediately brought his man down in bounds. Greer also had a very impressive day blitzing. He managed to record two sacks, the first one came on a play where he came untouched through the B Gap on the right side for the sack. The second occured when he beat the OG by using his hands to get separation and then his quickness to beat him to the QB. Greer started out shaky in run D and took some poor angles and got held up on blocks. However he seemed to correct that later in the game and was getting off much blocks much quicker and started taking much better angles to the ball carrier and started to get more tackles. Greer filled the right running lanes for the most part and did a great job all-around today. Right now I would put Greer's stock in the 5th round range with potential to move into the early 3rd if he continues to put up performances like this.

6th Round- Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas, 5'9 213 LBs, 4.46 40.

7th Round- Kenny Tate, OLB, Maryland, 6'4, 230 LBs. 4.68 40

Zodiac, Nice job. I would be comfortable with this draft. It is early yet but here are my thoughts after game 1 which will change as the season goes on

Agree we need a DT to stouten (if thats a word) the interior D-line to stop run/O line push. I also agree we need to add WR and Cb for depth and inuries.

I agree we need more out of ILB. Don't know much about Greer. Like the read on him. will watch more. Did Nicholas play inside today on some plays? He was all over the place.

I would like to see more of J Rodgers and Snelling to see where we stand at RB as Turner no longer seems to have the burst needed to start/play every down. Otherwise we may need to address RB.

It appears we are always in need of LT and another DE. The O-line and LT play was good today. We still only have one DE that can get to Qb and his name is still Abe. Not sure how the season will play out and if our D can produce sacks and spred them around. If not, it doesn't appear we another DE that can get to QB...which will drive our draft as they get picked early.

Zodiac, Nice job. I would be comfortable with this draft. It is early yet but here are my thoughts after game 1 which will change as the season goes on

Agree we need a DT to stouten (if thats a word) the interior D-line to stop run/O line push. I also agree we need to add WR and Cb for depth and inuries.

I agree we need more out of ILB. Don't know much about Greer. Like the read on him. will watch more. Did Nicholas play inside today on some plays? He was all over the place.

I would like to see more of J Rodgers and Snelling to see where we stand at RB as Turner no longer seems to have the burst needed to start/play every down. Otherwise we may need to address RB.

It appears we are always in need of LT and another DE. The O-line and LT play was good today. We still only have one DE that can get to Qb and his name is still Abe. Not sure how the season will play out and if our D can produce sacks and spred them around. If not, it doesn't appear we another DE that can get to QB...which will drive our draft as they get picked early.

thanks, I think we'll be fine with Holmes and I doubt the FO will give up on him after one year anyways. Baker looked good even when Justin Houston was on him, if he can hold his own against Dummervil and Miller I'll feel much better about this.

TBH I skipped DE due to our depth at that position and Abe not slowing down one bit

thanks, I think we'll be fine with Holmes and I doubt the FO will give up on him after one year anyways. Baker looked good even when Justin Houston was on him, if he can hold his own against Dummervil and Miller I'll feel much better about this.

TBH I skipped DE due to our depth at that position and Abe not slowing down one bit

It would be nice going into a draft not looking for/needing LT and DE.

I don't know what's so great about Fauria except his height. He's nothing special he's just tall...

I assume that means sarcasm, but I'll treat it like it's not and clear out any further questions.

Fauria has played a lot better so far under a Jim Mora offense with a QB who can well actually accurately throw a ball. I still want to see more route running out of him even though he is progressing in that area. Fauria is a very solid blocker from playing in that UCLA spread option attack, he was asked to block quite a bit last year and this year and is very good at it. Has great soft hands and can make many a catch in traffic. Will be a huge threat on the seam and in the redzone. He'll be a developmental guy but the upside is huge

Why a 5'10 wr in the 3rd 4.5 ?

You dumping Harry Douglas?

Not dumping HD, getting more weapons for Matt. With Turner basically done we aren't going to be seeing these jumbo packages as much and next season will see an even more Koetter styled offense with more 4 and 5 wide sets in them.

Bailey's measurables aren't awesome, but he has great balance, quickness, hands, and route running ability.

I like the 1st round pick - but I'm seeing that Purdue DT ranked in the top 15 picks - where we don't seem likely to be picking - he's probably gone before the Falcons pick.

I would love the pickk though - we clearly need to be more stout in the middle.

His stock is weird, some people don't like him and other people really do. He's not the freak that Jenkins, Lotulelei, and Hankins are so there's good potential for him to fall.

His stock is weird, some people don't like him and other people really do. He's not the freak that Jenkins, Lotulelei, and Hankins are so there's good potential for him to fall.

I will tell you what - and, nobody on this board gives me credibility when I'm talking about a Bulldog, but John Jenkins looks pretty dayum good this year. He is a mountain and would be a great player in middle for the Falcons.

I will tell you what - and, nobody on this board gives me credibility when I'm talking about a Bulldog, but John Jenkins looks pretty dayum good this year. He is a mountain and would be a great player in middle for the Falcons.

Ehhh he's not a fit for the 4-3. We need an every down constant force in the middle. Jenkins doesn't even play 75% of the snaps at UGA.

And RB is never a popular position to look at, but Kniles Davis is a guy I'd really keep an eye on. He's a load at 6'0, 220+ lbs, and is pretty **** quick. And he can pass protect, which makes his learning curve even smaller. Injuries have plagued him somewhat, but they aren't knee or ligament concerns, solely bone fractures and breaks.

He could but he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective because he would get tired. The guy is 368 LBs he's not a 4-3 DT

Never said he was a 4-3 DT, just that he could get up to 75% of snaps. And the guy is in much better condition than you give him credit for. He's huge, but he is definitely in shape. And I think Grady Jackson is evidence that a guy that big can be effective in the 4-3.

And RB is never a popular position to look at, but Kniles Davis is a guy I'd really keep an eye on. He's a load at 6'0, 220+ lbs, and is pretty **** quick. And he can pass protect, which makes his learning curve even smaller. Injuries have plagued him somewhat, but they aren't knee or ligament concerns, solely bone fractures and breaks.

He's looked unimpressive in the season so far, he doesn't have the same burst. I'm starting to like Johnson more than him, but neither will get many carries because Paul Petrino is a dumbass

Never said he was a 4-3 DT, just that he could get up to 75% of snaps. And the guy is in much better condition than you give him credit for. He's huge, but he is definitely in shape. And I think Grady Jackson is evidence that a guy that big can be effective in the 4-3.

Grady Jackson was leaning on guys by the 2nd quarter. The Saints tried the same thing with Shaun Rodgers and Abrayo Franklin, It didn't work, there's no reason to put a near 370 LB man in the middle of the 4-3 D. I know it sounds great for run defense but he won't be a force in the pass rush the way a guy like Kawann Short would

Guest Negatorris

I slotted us a CB and MLB.... you don't draft depth in the first and 2nd rounds

We need a starter. Dent is not the answer. We need to upgrade that position pronto.

Grady Jackson was leaning on guys by the 2nd quarter. The Saints tried the same thing with Shaun Rodgers and Abrayo Franklin, It didn't work, there's no reason to put a near 370 LB man in the middle of the 4-3 D. I know it sounds great for run defense but he won't be a force in the pass rush the way a guy like Kawann Short would

Yeah, Jackson wasn't leaning on guys by the 2nd quarter. You don't put up the numbers he did during his prime and be "leaning on guys" early in the game. And I think you sell him short on his burst off the line. He isn't a guy that is just a plugger. He's shown very real ability to get up the field off the LOS and disrupt plays in the backfield. I agree he'd be better suited for a 3-4 team, but he'd be extremely useful in any type of formation.

Yeah, Jackson wasn't leaning on guys by the 2nd quarter. You don't put up the numbers he did during his prime and be "leaning on guys" early in the game. And I think you sell him short on his burst off the line. He isn't a guy that is just a plugger. He's shown very real ability to get up the field off the LOS and disrupt plays in the backfield. I agree he'd be better suited for a 3-4 team, but he'd be extremely useful in any type of formation.

Yea he has good movement skills but he has no real pass rushing moves. Also if you're talking about Grady Jackson when he was with us? Yes he was leaning on guys by the 2nd quarter