Gene Chizik Only One To Blame For 2012 Auburn Mess.

SacFalcFan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start with the defense:

Ted Roof left them in BAD shape, similar to the scale of mess that Urban Meyer left in Florida. Van Gorder though is the man for the job and I respect him mightily. My source says give it three years for the defense to look like a top flight SEC defense. I disagree with the source in regards to the secondary. I'm not sure the secondary is going to be stellar; however, the front seven that Auburn will build will be something.

I'll move to offense:

They recruited glorified tight ends to play QB. I've heard great things concerning the Offensive Coordinator. I'm unsure they'll turn this around unless they find someone who can hit the broad side of a barn.

On to the Chizz:

No comment.

Auburn has two very good to great coordinators. They have a head coach who I see no reason to respect. They have a great front seven in the making, but their secondary looks suspect. They had a great OL class last year (7 guys, around 4 beasts) but I don't really see them recruiting ANYONE this year on the OL. Derrick Green will do well for them and their WR's aren't awful. The fact that Auburn lacks a QB though makes me really doubt that for the next two years, they'll do well. In three years, we may just see a respectable team... Unless they find a mildly competent QB, it looks like it will be ugly.

Edited by itsjustafleshwound

I guess in the end, Chizick hurt himself badly by keeping Ted Roof for the last few years and by trying to find the second coming of Cam Newton by recruiting guys who can't even complete intermediate passes. Cam Newton had a great arm, was a freak of nature, and naturally was a once in a decade type of player. Chizick did a horrific job at evaluating QB's. I personally want to see Van Gorder excel; however, Chizick's massive mistakes may have bought the farm for the staff.

I'll start with the defense:

Ted Roof left them in BAD shape, similar to the scale of mess that Urban Meyer left in Florida. Van Gorder though is the man for the job and I respect him mightily. My source says give it three years for the defense to look like a top flight SEC defense. I disagree with the source in regards to the secondary. I'm not sure the secondary is going to be stellar; however, the front seven that Auburn will build will be something.

I'll move to offense:

They recruited glorified tight ends to play QB. I've heard great things concerning the Offensive Coordinator. I'm unsure they'll turn this around unless they find someone who can hit the broad side of a barn.

On to the Chizz:

No comment.

Auburn has two very good to great coordinators. They have a head coach who I see no reason to respect. They have a great front seven in the making, but their secondary looks suspect. They had a great OL class last year (7 guys, around 4 beasts) but I don't really see them recruiting ANYONE this year on the OL. Derrick Green will do well for them and their WR's aren't awful. The fact that Auburn lacks a QB though makes me really doubt that for the next two years, they'll do well. In three years, we may just see a respectable team... Unless they find a mildly competent QB, it looks like it will be ugly.

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what Scott Loeffler has done to qualify him as even a capable offensive coordinator in a major college football conference. And no, being a grad assistant while Tom Brady was in school at Michigan doesn't count. I have watched Loeffler through two games, and to my untrained eye, he appears to be overmatched. Auburn's offense this year, which does have some playmakers, looks to be historically bad.

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what Scott Loeffler has done to qualify him as even a capable offensive coordinator in a major college football conference. And no, being a grad assistant while Tom Brady was in school at Michigan doesn't count. I have watched Loeffler through two games, and to my untrained eye, he appears to be overmatched. Auburn's offense this year, which does have some playmakers, looks to be historically bad.

There is an old saying about how you can't make chicken salad out of ... Well, you can the point. I don't know anything about Loeffler but from what I've heard from my source, he's capable.

I guess in the end, Chizick hurt himself badly by keeping Ted Roof for the last few years and by trying to find the second coming of Cam Newton by recruiting guys who can't even complete intermediate passes. Cam Newton had a great arm, was a freak of nature, and naturally was a once in a decade type of player. Chizick did a horrific job at evaluating QB's. I personally want to see Van Gorder excel; however, Chizick's massive mistakes may have bought the farm for the staff.

I think you put way too much blame on Ted Roof -- keep in mind that Gene Chizik's specialty is suppose to be defense. I don't see much difference between the Auburn defense from the last few years and this year under Van Gorder so, to me, that points to Gene Chizik.

I think you put way too much blame on Ted Roof -- keep in mind that Gene Chizik's specialty is suppose to be defense. I don't see much difference between the Auburn defense from the last few years and this year under Van Gorder so, to me, that points to Gene Chizik.

Excellent point. I was more commenting on the assistants than I was on Chizz. My "no comment" concerning the Chizz was so that I would not bash him too harshly.

There is an old saying about how you can't make chicken salad out of ... Well, you can the point. I don't know anything about Loeffler but from what I've heard from my source, he's capable.

Well, he had a heck of a lot more talent to work with than Mississippi State had at its disposal -- and they certainly had no problem moving the ball.

Just giving the counter-point, as I am convinced that Loeffler is in over his head as a major college offensive coordinator at this stage of his career.

That offense's biggest problem is Frazier. He shouldn't be in the position he's in.

Auburn's secondary may be worse than South Carolina's and that is saying something. I agree with itsjustafleshwound's summary on BVG and that defense. He'll get the front 7 turned into something very good, but there is little hope for that secondary. Especially with Willie.

I don't think Chizik was hired because he's a great head coach though. He's just somebody's puppet and yes man.

Well, he had a heck of a lot more talent to work with than Mississippi State had at its disposal -- and they certainly had no problem moving the ball.

Just giving the counter-point, as I am convinced that Loeffler is in over his head as a major college offensive coordinator at this stage of his career.

If your QB can't throw the ball 5 yards, your offense is automatically one dimensional. So far, Auburn's QB's from last year have looked better. Mobley included. So no, Loeffler has not looked great. But still, chicken salad requires chicken meat, not chicken droppings. While I'm not impressed with Auburn's offense, I cannot write off a guy who inherited THAT quarter back situation and who has only coached two games for Auburn.Give him a year or two to improve and see from there.

We have 3 scholarship "QB" 's, one of which was supposed to run the spread, another has a bum shoulder, and the third doesn't count. Also, the two RB's who were built to be every down backs in the SEC got kicked off the team or never got to join. I'm not terribly sure when they did in practice from the spring until now, because it obviously wasn't working on tackling or throwing. I'm wondering if Frazier was tabbed the starter because even he looked like a world beater against our secondary in practice.

I got incredibly annoyed at all the Auburn fans getting on their high horses all over facebook talking about how other fans complained too much about this loss. That's #######. The product they've put on the field is salty garbage, not unlike what I imagine lady gaga smells like.

loeffler has shown nothing regarding his capability of running an offense. there is a reason he has been a qb coach and not the main guy running the offense. he was a very poor hire for them. they should have hired someone who has shown they are capable of calling plays and running their own offense and they didn't do that.

loeffler has shown nothing regarding his capability of running an offense. there is a reason he has been a qb coach and not the main guy running the offense. he was a very poor hire for them. they should have hired someone who has shown they are capable of calling plays and running their own offense and they didn't do that.

Even when down multiple TD's he refused to call passing plays because Frazier obviously wasn't going to complete them. And he and Chiz refused to make a switch at QB after the 3rd, 4th, or 5th turnovers by Frazier. Unacceptable.

Yea like Trooper... maybe he'll be the next OC hire biggrin.png

It's not unlike this guy running around at QB out there:

KodiBurns1.jpg

I said the same thing. Frazier = Burns. Both completely terrible QBs. But who else could we have put out there? Moseley has a bum shoulder and I don't even have a clue as who the other QB is since Zeke Pike got kicked off the team.

Chizik is fully to blame for that mess of a team. He's hired horrible coaches and doesn't know how to get a team ready to play. His 5-19 record at Iowa State was no fluke.

I said it this too, that Chizik probably won't make it through the season with Auburn playing like this. Losing is simply unacceptable. Tuberville had 2 losing seasons (his first and his last) in 10 years at Auburn and had beaten Alabama 6 straight times, and had an undefeated season and he got sent packing. Same thing needs to happen with Chizik. Chizik is a great person and a great DC but he's a horrible HC.

It's pretty hard to imagine this year's offense being worst than 2008 with Kodi Burns. Auburn scored just 20 plus points 5 times in 2008 and had games with scores of 3, 14, 13, 17, 7, 13 and 0.

I said the same thing. Frazier = Burns. Both completely terrible QBs. But who else could we have put out there? Moseley has a bum shoulder and I don't even have a clue as who the other QB is since Zeke Pike got kicked off the team.

Chizik is fully to blame for that mess of a team. He's hired horrible coaches and doesn't know how to get a team ready to play. His 5-19 record at Iowa State was no fluke.

I said it this too, that Chizik probably won't make it through the season with Auburn playing like this. Losing is simply unacceptable. Tuberville had 2 losing seasons (his first and his last) in 10 years at Auburn and had beaten Alabama 6 straight times, and had an undefeated season and he got sent packing. Same thing needs to happen with Chizik. Chizik is a great person and a great DC but he's a horrible HC.

He'll survive the season. I just pray that the new coaching staff gives Trooper a pink slip as well.