Q And A : Matt Ryan On Kc

Tuggle'2

QB corner: Matt Ryan discusses the Kansas City Chiefs

5:00 am September 9, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Ryan-hand-off-to-turner.jpg

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan hands the ball to running back Michael Turner. AP

FLOWERY BRANCH — Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan is 0-2 on the road in season openers.

The Falcons dropped a 15-9 overtime game to Pittsburgh to start the 2010 season and were routed 30-12 last season by the Chicago Bears.

Ryan, who had a spectacular exhibition season, will be making his first appearance in Kansas City when the Falcons take on the Chiefs at 1 p.m. Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

Here’s a brief Q&A involving Ryan and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s D. Orlando Ledbetter.

Q: What is it going to take to get over the hump in the red zone?

A: We’ve got to improve on the details. When we went back and looked at some of those tapes from the preseason, it’s the little things that kept us out of the end zone. Those are things we can correct. It also comes down to making plays. I think we’ve got to have an aggressive mindset. We have to be aggressive when we are down there and just make the plays when they present themselves. That’s going to be our focus in the red zone.

Q: Will the Chiefs miss defensive end Tamba Hali?

A: I’m sure they’ll make adjustments in terms of scheme and personnel to try and create some of what they are going to miss without him. But it’s still a talented defense. On the back end, they’ve got two talented players in [Eric] Berry and [brandon] Flowers. I think they are some of the best in the league. At the linebacker spot, you’ve got some physical guys that can make plays. I still think we’ve got our work cut out for us.

Q: How much stronger did you get over the offseason?

A: I feel stronger. I feel better. I think that’s helped in the preseason games. I felt really good out on the field throwing the ball, hanging in the pocket and moving around. It’s just one of those things, I think every year where you take a look at things you can improve on and I felt that was an area where I thought I could improve.