I'm Excited...but...

falcndave

I have been looking forward to this season like few others. I'm generally very impressed with the team and their offseason actions.

But...

There is one thought that is troubling me this morning. I just can't get it out of my mnd. What if we can't stop the run? That is all I'm worried about.

Our run defense is my one question. Can you really run a nickle base in the NFL and not get run over? We are built to stop the Saints and the Packers. I don't know if we are built to stop a team that comes at you with depth at RB. If we don't teams can feast on the Nolan scheme when safties are forced to fly up in run support. Play action becomes a nightmare if the front six can't go it alone vs. the run.

I think we will be okay. I think we will be disruptive enough that teams will turn it over or get pushed back as often as the run right over us. At leat I hope so. I see this defense as very much a "live by the sword, die by the sword" proposition.

I truly believe KC has one gameplan and thats run run and oh yeah run I dont think cassle throws more than 20 to 25 times this game. I expect them to try and run the ball and control the TOP basically play smitty ball, and I cant blame them, im pretty sure they are starting waterboys at certain positions

I share your concern, and I think it is only natural with a nickel scheme and a new MLB. But this quote makes me feel better:

nolan will make adjustments at hafltime

We still have talent on defense, but we have a much better defensive mind at the helm now. If we could make it work with BVG and no adjustments, we should be OK with Nolan and his adjustments.

I think Jerry will play like he did his rookie year (before he got hurt) and fill that spot for Peters (maybe better than Peters... maybe better than Babs). Ray Edwards will hopefully step up this year, and even if he plays like he did last year, he is a big guy and decent run stopper. The only hole we have is at middle linebacker. Will Dent step up? Will it matter that much if he doesn't? We'll see.

There is something you have to take into consideration as well. We only looked bad against the run with our backups in the game. Our 1string was playing lights out for the most part. I had my worries about it as well but you have to understand we might sub 1 or 2 in. We will not be playing with all our backups in.

I share your concern, and I think it is only natural with a nickel scheme and a new MLB. But this quote makes me feel better:

We still have talent on defense, but we have a much better defensive mind at the helm now. If we could make it work with BVG and no adjustments, we should be OK with Nolan and his adjustments.

if he sees dent become a liability he will fix it or mask it.

I truly believe KC has one gameplan and thats run run and oh yeah run I dont think cassle throws more than 20 to 25 times this game. I expect them to try and run the ball and control the TOP basically play smitty ball, and I cant blame them, im pretty sure they are starting waterboys at certain positions

That gameplan goes out the window if we can get a 2+ possession lead. It's important for us to strike first in this game.

I have been looking forward to this season like few others. I'm generally very impressed with the team and their offseason actions.

But...

There is one thought that is troubling me this morning. I just can't get it out of my mnd. What if we can't stop the run? That is all I'm worried about.

Our run defense is my one question. Can you really run a nickle base in the NFL and not get run over? We are built to stop the Saints and the Packers. I don't know if we are built to stop a team that comes at you with depth at RB. If we don't teams can feast on the Nolan scheme when safties are forced to fly up in run support. Play action becomes a nightmare if the front six can't go it alone vs. the run.

I think we will be okay. I think we will be disruptive enough that teams will turn it over or get pushed back as often as the run right over us. At leat I hope so. I see this defense as very much a "live by the sword, die by the sword" proposition.

Two things. . . .

stopping the run

AND

running the ball

Our O will have to get leads and force teams to pass and play into our strength. That's what NO, GB, NYG, indy with manning, etc do. Once that happens the game can swing fast like we saw today.

not really Kc had the ball first after halftime and we only had a 3 pt lead the defense just took over all the way to the end of the 4th