Nfl Should Change Salary Cap

LVfalconfan

I think the NFL needs to change the salary cap in favor of building through the draft. I love the rookie pay scale, but players drafted should count maybe 70% of the players salary forwards the cap. It would encourage players to finish where they started and also increase the importance of drafting well.

I think the NFL needs to change the salary cap in favor of building through the draft. I love the rookie pay scale, but players drafted should count maybe 70% of the players salary forwards the cap. It would encourage players to finish where they started and also increase the importance of drafting well.

What the NFL needs to do is expand to 36 teams and add a 2nd bye week. The additional jobs and revenue generated would help teams keep their homegrown talent while keeping the NFLPA happy by swelling the membership.

What the NFL needs to do is expand to 36 teams and add a 2nd bye week. The additional jobs and revenue generated would help teams keep their homegrown talent while keeping the NFLPA happy by swelling the membership.

Also change the scheduling so that CBS and Fox both get a game every week night. Play on Monday night this week, play Tuesday night next week, etc. i would have football every night, which would be amazing, and the players get extra rest every week. Also, the networks could stop wasting money on crappy shows that wind up getting cancelled anyways.

Also change the scheduling so that CBS and Fox both get a game every week night. Play on Monday night this week, play Tuesday night next week, etc. i would have football every night, which would be amazing, and the players get extra rest every week. Also, the networks could stop wasting money on crappy shows that wind up getting cancelled anyways.

That would be a scheduling nightmare. It's already too much of a screw-up, witness Denver on SNF this week and MNF next week. That kind of thing happens too often now.

The salary cap is adequate it's the coaching drafting that needs to improve.

Expansion is also a good idea with inclusion of 2 European based teams London and Frankfurt and maybe 1Japanese based squad. If NFL cracks these foreign markets you have a huge influx of interest money merchandising and TV rights. Even throw Hawaii into the mix?!

Edited by leftfield

I think football being on the weekends is what makes it so special. You wait for it all week! Then college games on Saturday is the warm-up (not that I dont love college football, as you can see by my avatar) and Sunday is the big show. Monday night football is fine, but I already hate Thursday night football. (Obviously not Thanksgiving though, that should be expanded). Football everyday would be a mess. You would never know when all the teams are playing and who has who that week. Plus, it would turn football into baseball/basketball/hockey/etc.

I think football being on the weekends is what makes it so special. You wait for it all week! Then college games on Saturday is the warm-up (not that I dont love college football, as you can see by my avatar) and Sunday is the big show. Monday night football is fine, but I already hate Thursday night football. (Obviously not Thanksgiving though, that should be expanded). Football everyday would be a mess. You would never know when all the teams are playing and who has who that week. Plus, it would turn football into baseball/basketball/hockey/etc.

It would be glorious. I love Thursday night football.

ETA and I hate waiting for the weekend.

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

It would be glorious. I love Thursday night football.

ETA and I hate waiting for the weekend.

I dont know. I love watching football, but I just feel like it would damage the special feel that Sunday brings. I mean how many times do you miss a baseball/basketball game because you had a commitment you couldnt miss? I feel like this would happen all the time if there were games everyday. I can schedule around Sunday afternoons in fall much easier than Tuesday one week, Friday the other, then Sunday the next.

Edited by HANCOCK

The NFL isn't going to be adding new markets when the average attendance is going down every year. Markets like Tampa and Jacksonville might lose their teams though.

I don't know in which cities they would do much better. Maybe LA, but obviously two teams already tried that and it didn't exactly work out.

So players that have played good for their first 4-5 years of their career shouldn't be rewarded with a healthy check? That makes sense how?

I'm saying they should. For example Julio Jones will get a huge contract as he should. Only 70% of his salary should count against our cap.

So players that have played good for their first 4-5 years of their career shouldn't be rewarded with a healthy check? That makes sense how?

I'm saying they should. For example Julio Jones will get a huge contract as he should. Only 70% of his salary should count against our cap.

The overpaid, agent padding his resume driven, days of the salary cap are thankfully over. Too many busts who get this astronomical contract because they are the #1 pick but they are certainly not the #1 player in the NFL because they have not done anything.

that would create a mess similar to the MLB Draft. Would never work

The salary cap already encourages building through the draft, as the contracts given to rookies are very cap friendly. Even prior to the new rules limiting on rookie contracts, it was only the top 10-12 rookies that had huge money, and even mid and late 1st rounders were great value compared to veteran FAs.

Good teams build through the draft, where talent is cheaper, and teams who try to build through free agency do not succeed because top veteran FAs are heavily overpaid, leaving their teams short on cap room and thus unable to acquire the depth and talent to address their other needs.

When there are DE's on rookie contracts getting 8-10 sacks a year and being paid $400k, how productive does a guy like Julius Peppers have to be, to make him worth $16m a season (40 times more expesnive than the younger player)?

The salary cap already encourages building through the draft, as the contracts given to rookies are very cap friendly. Even prior to the new rules limiting on rookie contracts, it was only the top 10-12 rookies that had huge money, and even mid and late 1st rounders were great value compared to veteran FAs.

Good teams build through the draft, where talent is cheaper, and teams who try to build through free agency do not succeed because top veteran FAs are heavily overpaid, leaving their teams short on cap room and thus unable to acquire the depth and talent to address their other neds. When there are DE's on rookie contracts getting 8-10 sacks a year and being paid $400k, how productive does Julius Peppers have to be, to make him worth $16m a season (40 times more than the younger .

I can see the sense in having cap dispensations/rules that encourage teams to keep their FA's by only counting a % of their salary against the cap.

Great post.

The NFL isn't going to be adding new markets when the average attendance is going down every year. Markets like Tampa and Jacksonville might lose their teams though.

I don't know in which cities they would do much better. Maybe LA, but obviously two teams already tried that and it didn't exactly work out.

Actually 3. The Chargers first year in 1960 was in Los Angeles.

But the NFL tried 2 bye weeks back in 1993 to get more revenue and the teams hated it because of the way it was scheduled. They would have a bye week, play 3 games and then have another bye week. I think it could work out if you had teams play 5 or 6 games then have a bye, then play another 5 or 6 games before having their second bye week.

The salary cap is adequate it's the coaching drafting that needs to improve.

Expansion is also a good idea with inclusion of 2 European based teams London and Frankfurt and maybe 1Japanese based squad. If NFL cracks these foreign markets you have a huge influx of interest money merchandising and TV rights. Even throw Hawaii into the mix?!

This would suck for those teams and anyone forced to travel over there. We get worried about traveling to Seattle. Flying to Germany or Brittan would be a nightmare.

This would suck for those teams and anyone forced to travel over there. We get worried about traveling to Seattle. Flying to Germany or Brittan would be a nightmare.

The NFL is so stupid. American football will not succeed in Japan or in Europe. Playing these games in London every year is a complete joke. There hasn't been a game in Japan since the year the Falcons beat the Colts in the preseason. Most of the world cares about European football, or soccer as us Americans call it.