Breaking Headline News (Sheepwars 2 The Nfl Strikesback)

Trouble

Strident in defeat on Friday, the NFL likely will impose the same suspensions that were scrapped on Friday by an appeals board established under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

After all, the players won on a technicality, with the NFLPA finding language in the labor deal that powered a creative argument that Commissioner Roger Goodell didn’t use the right words when fashioning the punishments.

201209051941708873236-p2-e134707539.jpg

Goodell could reinstate the suspensions but the CBA process would start over (players would appeal) and he would have to provide the evidence he relied on to prove intent to injure. He also wouldn't be able to rule on the appeals. All the time Judge Berrigan would be waiting in the wings, looking over his shoulder. That would look extremely bad if he did that, to the media, to the fans, and more importantly to the judge. It'd be like giving her the middle finger, and I doubt you want to do that to a federal judge.

Goodell could reinstate the suspensions but the CBA process would start over (players would appeal) and he would have to provide the evidence he relied on to prove intent to injure. He also wouldn't be able to rule on the appeals. All the time Judge Berrigan would be waiting in the wings, looking over his shoulder. That would look extremely bad if he did that, to the media, to the fans, and more importantly to the judge. It'd be like giving her the middle finger, and I doubt you want to do that to a federal judge.

not to mention the NFLPA would have a pretty easy time proving pre-existing bias in court

here is a better description of the situation

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_mccann/09/07/saints-suspensions-overturned/index.html

2) Will Goodell reissue the suspensions?

As Sunday's games loom, the next 36 hours are crucial for both the NFL and Goodell. If the suspensions remain lifted and if the league and the four aforementioned players work together toward a litigation settlement, the league would avoid a worst-case scenario: losing high-profile courtroom trials to NFL players and the NFLPA, and being forced to reveal its sources for the bounty investigation.

But not reissuing the suspensions would come with a cost for the NFL and Goodell: it would signal defeat. Worse yet, attorneys for the concussion plaintiffs could use the lack of reissued suspensions as evidence the league does not care seriously enough about player safety. It would reflect poorly upon the league that it would so readily give up a fight to sanction bounties, which Goodell previously said were a major concern.

The NFLPA and the suspended players -- especially Vilma, who got the litigation ball rolling -- have backed Goodell into a corner.

Whatever happens in the end, The Commissioner looks as though he bungled this affair. The fact that he's being sued, the fact that he has a FEDERAL judge looking over his shoulder, the fact that the NFLPA attorneys are fighting his decisions, the fact that people signed affidavits under possibility of perjury--all of this puts him in a vulnerable position.

He has been characterized as arbitrary and biased. If he issues the same punishments, he'll prove beyond a doubt that he is indeed arbitrary and biased. If he reduces them, he'll look like a moron for having made the wrong decision in the first place. So it looks as though he is following directions: open mouth, insert foot.

This is why I dont get why Goodell wouldnt just let it go. YOU LOST IN COURT DOOSH BAG!

As a Cowboys fan that was screwed by his office I take great joy in seeing you guys win this case. Great job!

fixed it for you

If you dont think Washington and Dallas arent watching this you are ********. The Saints werent the only team screwed this offseason. Just because your precious Falcons didnt get screwed doesnt mean what Goodell did was right.

The NFL can no longer play semantics here. I wouldn't call the Saints' win a technicality.. I would call what allowed the NFL to get by Burbank initially was a technicality.

If the NFL decides to punish the players now, it will be purely under "intent to injure", which is something they tried their best to avoid stating the moment Vilma filed the defamation lawsuit. Shoot, even back in June, Jeff Pash said in an interview that "intent doesn't matter". If they continue to claim intent to injure, and further suspend Fujita, Smith, and Hargrove now on that, then you can bet three more defamation lawsuits will pop up.

Personally, I'd be shocked if the NFL takes that route. That would be horrific PR for them to suspend the players again, only for the players to eventually get discovery because of the defamation lawsuits. Plus, there's a strong chance the players would get an injunction on the suspensions from Berrigan. The only real option I see here is the NFL threatening that they have leverage in order to give themselves a chance at a settlement with Vilma.

If you dont think Washington and Dallas arent watching this you are ********. The Saints werent the only team screwed this offseason. Just because your precious Falcons didnt get screwed doesnt mean what Goodell did was right.

I think cannonball was just messing with Saints fans, he's cool. I understand your sentiment though because what he did to the Cowboys and Skins was crazy, and had no real merit from the beginning.

I think cannonball was just messing with Saints fans, he's cool. I understand your sentiment though because what he did to the Cowboys and Skins was crazy, and had no real merit from the beginning.

Yeah, I read his post explaining after I responded.

This is why I dont get why Goodell wouldnt just let it go. YOU LOST IN COURT DOOSH BAG!

As a Cowboys fan that was screwed by his office I take great joy in seeing you guys win this case. Great job!

He's between a rock and a hard place.

If they drop it, then they can no longer use bounties as an argument against the players suing them over concussions. Plus, the whole fiasco could probably be used against them as more proof of NFL cover ups.

If they pursue it, then it only adds fuel to the fire that is Vilma's defamation lawsuit because they have to specifically accuse him of intent to injure now. They've played semantics this whole off-season.

I think eventually we'll see them wrap this around Goodell's neck and start over with a new Commissioner. It's just a matter of time. But Jeff Pash needs to go too.

He's between a rock and a hard place.

If they drop it, then they can no longer use bounties as an argument against the players suing them over concussions. Plus, the whole fiasco could probably be used against them as more proof of NFL cover ups.

If they pursue it, then it only adds fuel to the fire that is Vilma's defamation lawsuit because they have to specifically accuse him of intent to injure now. They've played semantics this whole off-season.

I think eventually we'll see them wrap this around Goodell's neck and start over with a new Commissioner. It's just a matter of time. But Jeff Pash needs to go too.

I cant believe how bad Goodell has screwed himself. Ive never seen a commissioner hang himself like this.

I cant believe how bad Goodell has screwed himself. Ive never seen a commissioner hang himself like this.

There's only been a couple others in our lifetime. I remember Rozelle but barely. I was 13 or 14 when he left? Can't remember Tagliabue doing anything close to this. I agree, there hasn't been any other commissioners that I'm aware of thats stunk it up quite like Goodell has. He's wore out his welcome if you ask me.