Many Of You Have Tunnel Vision; We Running The Ball Sunday!

I know the new Atlanta theme is air attack but that doesn't mean we will take that approach in every game. I suspect we will run the ball heavily against KC Sunday. Eventually it will open the passing game but not how many expect. I do think we will see several screen pass and a heavy does of Turner and JR. Why? KC has a poor run defense last year they ranked 26th and gave up on average 132 yards a game and 4.2 yard per carry. They did draft Dontari Poe but I just don't expect him to have a huge impact right away. If we can run outside we might even be able to break a couple long ones. Hali is suspended this just helps the run game.

I think Falcons win this one: 24-7

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falcons are going to the air early and often.

1. Chiefs best pass rusher is suspended, hurts them worse in the pass game.

2.Their secondary is beat up

3. Best way to take the crowd out of it is to put up points quick

4 let the rest of the league know this us not your daddy's falcons

5 Ryan is control of the offense now

Would not be surprised if I get my wish and the first play from scrimmage is a play action fake to Turner and a bomb to Jones.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

They have 7 defensive players injured with 3 doubtful, 4 questionable. Also Tamba Hali is suspended. I think it's safe to say we don't need to play it safe, and take what we want, and not what the defense gives us.

Falcons are going to the air early and often.

1. Chiefs best pass rusher is suspended, hurts them worse in the pass game.

2.Their secondary is beat up

3. Best way to take the crowd out of it is to put up points quick

4 let the rest of the league know this us not your daddy's falcons

5 Ryan is control of the offense now

Would not be surprised if I get my wish and the first play from scrimmage is a play action fake to Turner and a bomb to Jones.

Not to mention...they have no film on our new OC with our personnel.....they have no tendencies in route combos or protections.

They have 7 defensive players injured with 3 doubtful, 4 questionable. Also Tamba Hali is suspended. I think it's safe to say we don't need to play it safe, and take what we want, and not what the defense gives us.

Man, I love the sound of that, preach it man, that is the exact opossite of Mularkeyism right there ........

Man, I love the sound of that, preach it man, that is the exact opossite of Mularkeyism right there ........

I liked that too. That's what one of the guys said earlier about Ryan. Saying he was a "take what the defense gives you guy" and it had nothing to do with coaching. That is all that MM said !! "We take what the defense gives us and work from there" .

I think we'll take it easy on Turner this game. I'm betting we'll take a strong lead early and be VERY pass heavy with a few screens, and Quizz will get the ball on most runs.. The whole "keep Turner fresh" approach, ya know... 3 or 4 passing TDs, 0 INT, 1 rushing TD (Rodgers).

I liked that too. That's what one of the guys said earlier about Ryan. Saying he was a "take what the defense gives you guy" and it had nothing to do with coaching. That is all that MM said !! "We take what the defense gives us and work from there" .

Yep.....see NYG game .....man, just fk a Mike Mularkey ........

I see us passing a lot in this game. Justin Houston is their best pass rusher in this game and I expect Baker or Blalock to keep him out. If Flowers isn't playing then their on threat in the secondary is Berry who is coming off a ACL which means if Julio get a head of steam he's gone. They have a pretty big d-line so I think the best way for us to go would be to pass.

I agree with the philosophy that we'll run the ball as well. I think the staff has done a real good job boasting about the passing game. I still think we will try and run to set up the pass in most games. Mistakes can still happen whenever the ball is in the air. I think alot depends on the team we're playing. If we were going against GB we probably come out throwing. With KC though, they have alot of injuries. It only helps to beat'em down early and then start taking shots once we gas their D.

No huddle until those big nasties all look gassed, heaving chests, hands on their hips, struggling for oxygen... Then Ryan sits back and plays pitch and catch until the cows come home. Then, instead of MM ball we refuse to sit on a lead with turner up the middle 3X and punt. Instead we take kill shots deep for home runs... I am amped to see the D as well.

Until we change the opinion in the regular season, the rules to beat the Falcon are to A. Stop Michael Turner at all costs and then B. Make Matt Ryan beat you.

Early on in the game i'm expecting KC to sell out to stop Turner and I hope Ryan and Koetter take advantage of this and we move the ball in the air.

Then when KC has to focus on our passing game, I think we'll become much more balanced and you'll see Turner and Quizz running through big holes while also being effective in the 3-5 screens they'll see.

I don't think our Oline is good enough for us to just take what we want and make the defenses adjust to us, but I think they all in a whole are good enough to do whatever we need to do to beat the defenses shown to us. Our skill players are just ridiculously good.

Until we change the opinion in the regular season, the rules to beat the Falcon are to A. Stop Michael Turner at all costs and then B. Make Matt Ryan beat you.

Early on in the game i'm expecting KC to sell out to stop Turner and I hope Ryan and Koetter take advantage of this and we move the ball in the air.

Then when KC has to focus on our passing game, I think we'll become much more balanced and you'll see Turner and Quizz running through big holes while also being effective in the 3-5 screens they'll see.

I don't think our Oline is good enough for us to just take what we want and make the defenses adjust to us, but I think they all in a whole are good enough to do whatever we need to do to beat the defenses shown to us. Our skill players are just ridiculously good.

great post

Anyone remember the first regular season game under Glanville? It was against the Chiefs and he chose not to pass it because "KC dares you to pass it on them". We had displayed good ball with the run and shoot during the preseason games. We tried to establish the run against KC and lost the game...We've shown promise with the pass this off season. I hope Smith doesn't pull a Glanville.

I think we will be pretty balanced air side heavy. I know we will run. I just see JJ , White , HD , Gonzo , Quizz , and Snelling making it hard to cover them all.

I think so too. With the threat of JJ being them deep the Chiefs will keep a safety back; thus opening up rush lanes for Turner and J.R.

I know the new Atlanta theme is air attack but that doesn't mean we will take that approach in every game. I suspect we will run the ball heavily against KC Sunday. Eventually it will open the passing game but not how many expect. I do think we will see several screen pass and a heavy does of Turner and JR. Why? KC has a poor run defense last year they ranked 26th and gave up on average 132 yards a game and 4.2 yard per carry. They did draft Dontari Poe but I just don't expect him to have a huge impact right away. If we can run outside we might even be able to break a couple long ones. Hali is suspended this just helps the run game.

I think Falcons win this one: 24-7

i agree bro. all everyone is talking about is us chunking it DEEP. that HAS to be a major part of their defensive game plan.

if we come out pounding their azz relentlessly with turner, they will have to change up their base D. then, we start airing it out. when they adjust to that and try to pressure matt with blitzes, we screen them to death. then the process starts over.

we should be like the packers, saints, pats, etc. defenses should fear us. if they don't, we are doing something BAD wrong or either we have way overestimated our talent.

Edited by falcon68