Chat With Pat Yasinskas: Sept. 7

theProf

Chat with Pat Yasinskas

Tim (Bristol, UK)

Hi Pat, Greetings from the UK! I'm a huge Falcons fan. I am happy that our offense can do some major damage this year, but this a bit skeptical about the defense. With a more aggressive Coach in charge of the defense, do you think that we will see a major improvement with less points given up, more turnovers etc?

Pat Yasinskas (12:54 PM)

I think Mike Nolan will bring a much more aggressive defense and that will be a big improvement.

Thomas (Atlanta)

Is this the year that we get to really see Harry Douglas or will he never get a chance?

Pat Yasinskas (1:07 PM)

My guess is he has a good year because so much coverage will be devoted to Roddy and Julio.

Rob (Norfolk VA)

What are the chances the Julio hype if for real??? I've drafted him as high as the second round in fantasy and I don't think I was reaching.

Pat Yasinskas (1:12 PM)

I think it's very real. I was incredibly impressed when I saw him in training camp and we all saw what he did in the preseason.

Eric (Atlanta)

Is the secretiveness in Atlanta about injuries, starters, etc., frustrating to you? I've been a season ticket holder for 15 years and understand fully that you dont want to give your opponents an advantage. But this is ridiculous! Or is it just me?

Pat Yasinskas (1:13 PM)

Sure, it's frustrating. But Falcons aren't alone in that area. Most teams are very guarded about injuries.

Jon (Falcons fan) (GA)

What are the chances of Holmes taking over the LT spot in Atlanta?

Pat Yasinskas (1:17 PM)

Only if Baker really struggles. And it wouldn't be for a while. Holmes missed much of the offseason and part of the preseason. Don't think they want to throw him out there anytime soon.

First time caller (on hold for 7 minutes)

Sorry if I am a little nervous....First time and all.......I am concerned about the LB depth for the Falcons.....Should I be worried or will things be OK?

Pat Yasinskas (1:20 PM)

I think they'll be okay. Spoon and Nicholas will be three-down LBs and Dent will be a two-down LB. Peterson is very experienced and can fill in at any position.

Doug (Atlanta)

Do you think this is Turners last year in Atlanta due to wear and tear and salary? If so do the Falcons take a running back in the draft are do they think Jaquizz Rodgers can handle the role of being the featured back?

Pat Yasinskas (1:22 PM)

I think they'd like Rodgers to be that guy. But this year will determine if he has what it takes to be that guy.

Rob (Norfolk VA)

While I'll acknowledge Lofton is a very good linebacker, is Akeem Dent that much of a downgrade? Lofton never really wowed just quietly did his job and racked up tackles, Dent filled the same roll at UGA and I don't see our defense suffering too much.

Pat Yasinskas (1:25 PM)

I don't think there will be that much of a drop off, especially with Falcons planning to use Dent as a two-down guy.

Jon (Falcons fan) (GA)

Who would you say the best owner in the NFC south is?

Pat Yasinskas (1:26 PM)

I'd say Richardson or Blank

Scott (Northglenn, CO)

J. Rodgers will be the starter by week _____.

Pat Yasinskas (1:30 PM)

1 of next season. I think Turner remains the starter this year.

Jon (Falcons Fan) (GA)

Turner looks slow. Isn't he more of a North and South runner rather than a east, west runner?

Pat Yasinskas (1:32 PM)

Yep, always has been.

Doug (Atlanta)

Confused about Dominique Franks. He gets released on a rookie contract. Then Tim Toone gets hurt or something like that. They bring back Franks. Was this just about him being the 54th best man on the team or trying to give him a wake up call?

Pat Yasinskas (1:38 PM)

Don't think it was a wake-up call. No way they could have known for sure that they'd be able to bring him back because someone else could have picked him up when they released him.

Jon (Falcons Fan) (GA)

Couldnt the Falcons have traded Redman?

Pat Yasinskas (1:41 PM)

Would have been tough. At best, they might have been able to get a seventh-round pick. They probably tried and weren't able to.

john (landmass between mobile and orleans)

why is chris owens still on our roster everytime he is put in the game he instantly gets picked on and gets a touchdown thrown against him??? and whats up with the release/resign franks thing

Pat Yasinskas (1:45 PM)

On Owens, you'd have to ask Mike Smith. But I think they believe he's more physical than Franks.

Dom (Stone Mountain)

If Reynolds is strong at Guard, do you see Konz making a push to start at center before the years is over seeing that McClure's pretty much done after this year?

Pat Yasinskas (1:51 PM)

I think you might see Hawley at center before Konz. Think they really want Konz at guard. He's a little too tall to be a center, by NFL standards.

Steve (Apex)

I disagree with your recent post about Matt Ryan's status as an elite QB. I know he's won a lot of regular season games, but hasn't won any postseason games. I think he's overrated. Manning had the same issue, but he put up huge numbers before finally winning the ring.

Pat Yasinskas (1:53 PM)

You're more than welcome to disagree. That comes with the territory.

Jon (Falcons Fan) (GA)

With Ownes speed, why do they not use him to return kicks?

Pat Yasinskas (1:54 PM)

Don't know. Maybe he can't catch the ball?

Jon (Falcons Fan) (GA)

If Owens can't catch the ball then why use him as a DB? Lol.

Pat Yasinskas (1:56 PM)

Well, that's probably why he's a DB and not a WR.

Eric (Atlanta)

One more re: Franks. Did they save money in the transaction?

Pat Yasinskas (1:57 PM)

I'll have to look it up, but it was probably minimal.

Chris (Tempe, AZ)

Why did the Falcons cut Meiers if they were so high on him? I heard he had great hands.

Pat Yasinskas (1:58 PM)

He was hurt and wasn't going to be healthy for a while. Not long enough to put him on IR for season. They were high on him since day they drafted him, but he never really produced.

Nique (Chicago)

Would you risk Harry Douglass by letting him return punts seeing as though he's a little fragile?

Pat Yasinskas (1:59 PM)

Personally, I'd use Franks as the punt returner.

The guy asking why we didnt trade Rojo Hombre made me laugh.

Way before Redman was released I suggested that TD look into trading him for a 7th rounder. The only team I could think of who might want him was Jacksonville where their might be some interest since Redman was good enough to run Mularkey's offense in a backup role. I would wager that TD made that call, but got stoned. You are correct that any other team would laugh at the idea.

Way before Redman was released I suggested that TD look into trading him for a 7th rounder. The only team I could think of who might want him was Jacksonville where their might be some interest since Redman was good enough to run Mularkey's offense in a backup role. I would wager that TD made was planning to make that call, but got stoned. You are correct that any other team would laugh at the idea.

Fixed that for you.

the front office is kidding themselves if they think quizz is the heir apparent to turner. Yea he might be good but he'll never be spectacular. I wouldnt pass up on a good rb in next years draft to rely on him.

I'd rather take an offensive lineman or tight end. Maybe a MLB depending on how Dent does this season. DE is also something we should look into.