Dawg Fans, An Observation From A Rival

Xnex

I didn't get to watch much of your game last week, I missed most of the 1st half but caught almost all of the 2nd. The main focus of my post here is to mention the kid that just jumps off the screen to me when I see him; Todd Gurley. Now I know it's only 1 game and I know that my forte is certainly not UGA football but IMO I don't know how any fan of Georgia could see this kid play and even think Isiah Crowell was in his league. Gurley "feels" like a much tougher, and talented dude to me based on 1st impressions. He reminds me a little of Marcus in that I don't sense him having any problems with taking and delivering a hit. He's got really good moves and seemingly has speed to take it to the house whenever he gets it in his hands.

I remember last season when you guys were so psyched out to finally get Crowell's committment and whenever I watched UGA play I could see that he had talent but I never felt like he was destined to be a "superback". He just didn't give me the impression that football was something he loved and was willing to work hard to maximize his potential. And I know you guys were very happy to have Gurley and Marshall come on board this year, but I never felt like you guys were as happy to have him (Gurley) as you were to get Crowell. IMO, that just goes to show you how subjective recruiting services and even game tape can be. If he stays healthy Gurley will leave UGA as the next incarnation of Rodney Hampton I think.

Thanks for your POV! along the lines of the hype, Crowell was a 5 star, All-american RB, while Gurley was rated 3-4 star, and not on any of the UA or US army all star games. Although I know we have a lot of great players that dont go to those games and are lower rated, that definitely shows up with the hype meter. It, also didnt thelp that we had Keith Marshall in our class as well, who was a 5 star UA all star RB, who got a lot more of the hype.

I would love to see Gurley turn into a Trent Richardson/Lattimore power type back who can take it to the house, and have Marshall as a change of pace back with blazing speed and shiftiness

I agree though in that Gurley looks better than Crowell. Crowell had all the godgiven talent anyone could ask for but something was missing. Maybe its just in hindsight but looking back I can see something was missing. I am just hoping Gurley and Marshall live up to there potential

Edited by Ronaldo77

I didn't get to watch much of your game last week, I missed most of the 1st half but caught almost all of the 2nd. The main focus of my post here is to mention the kid that just jumps off the screen to me when I see him; Todd Gurley. Now I know it's only 1 game and I know that my forte is certainly not UGA football but IMO I don't know how any fan of Georgia could see this kid play and even think Isiah Crowell was in his league. Gurley "feels" like a much tougher, and talented dude to me based on 1st impressions. He reminds me a little of Marcus in that I don't sense him having any problems with taking and delivering a hit. He's got really good moves and seemingly has speed to take it to the house whenever he gets it in his hands.

I remember last season when you guys were so psyched out to finally get Crowell's committment and whenever I watched UGA play I could see that he had talent but I never felt like he was destined to be a "superback". He just didn't give me the impression that football was something he loved and was willing to work hard to maximize his potential. And I know you guys were very happy to have Gurley and Marshall come on board this year, but I never felt like you guys were as happy to have him (Gurley) as you were to get Crowell. IMO, that just goes to show you how subjective recruiting services and even game tape can be. If he stays healthy Gurley will leave UGA as the next incarnation of Rodney Hampton I think.

Great obversation.

I think the main difference between them, for me, comes down to Maturity, both physically and mentally. Crowell was an amazing talent, he just didn't have the maturity IMO.

I was very excited about Crowell, b/c he was our only back in that class and we had didnt have a whole lot the year before to be excited about. I think I also bought into the 5* hype a little too. These recruiting services are very hit and miss, and there is no way they can rate the intangibles about a player.

It was only 1 game and so it remains to be seen, but I really think we got a good one in Gurley (as well as Marshall) Both have the talent, and I think both of them have the maturity to go along with it. At this point, I'd give the edge to Gurley from a physical standpoint. He just already looks the part. Marshall benefitted from enrolling early, and I think as the season progresses and especially heading into next year, that is going to be quite a tandem of RB's to deal with.