Q&a: Falcons Owner Arthur Blank On The 2012 Season

theProf

Q&A: Falcons owner Arthur Blank on the 2012 season

5:00 am September 7, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH – Arthur Blank, who’s set to enter his 11th season as the Falcons’ owner, was a frequent visitor to practice during training camp.

He’s ready for the season to kickoff when the Falcons face the Chiefs at 1 p.m. Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

In an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Blank is clearly fired up about the season and discussed a wide range of topics from Mike Smith not being on the proverbial hot seat to encouraging fans to be on time for kickoff.

Here’s the full interview:

Q: What are your expectations for the 2012 NFL season?

A: I know that we have a better football team than we had last year. I’m excited about the coaching changes that we made which doesn’t takeaway from Coach [brian] VanGorder or Coach [Mike] Mularkey, but I think that Dirk Koetter and Mike Nolan bring in a little different perspective, some new energy, and maybe some scheme changes and maybe a little different understanding of how to use particular players maybe differently than we’ve used them in them in the past. As a result of camp, I saw a lot of confidence and energy from our players. I think they feel good about the changes they see. I like our draft choices. I like the free agency activity that we had this year. I think they feel good about it. So, I think we are going into the season with a degree of confidence, but also with a degree of humility. In the NFL every Sunday, the other guys on the other side of the line are very talented. As coach [Mike] Smith has said more than once, it’s only five or six plays that decide usually every Sunday who wins and who losses. I like where we are. Our record is 0-0. We have a lot of games yet to play like everybody else in the NFL. Hopefully, we are going to come out again with a winning season. Hopefully, we’ll come out again in a playoff position and hopefully come out with a better result in the playoff situation than we’ve had in the last few years. So those are my expectations.

Q: What about the notion that Coach Mike Smith is on the hot seat?

A: He’s not on any hot seat. Coach Smith, he and Thomas, I particularly feel really blessed – and I don’t use that word every day, all day long – I feel blessed having them both in place. The last four years to have the record that we’ve established after 42 years of not having back-to-back winning seasons, to have four of them back-to-back-to-back-to-back winning seasons and be in the playoffs three of four years, to have a coach that’s been named coach of the year two out of four years in the NFL. And Thomas being named executive of the year twice the last four years have both been very impressive. I have a high degree of confidence in the partnership and the consistency of the team and the sustainability of the team we have. I think it’s important this time of the year when you get into late August and early September that you are in the mix in terms of playoff conversation amongst the media, with the national pundits, and the local ones as well. I think we’ve reached that level. Obviously, we are trying to get to the next level. I have confidence that we’ll be able to do that. I have faith in Smitty and faith in Thomas and faith in all of our coaches. I really do.

Q: Did you see where Bill Polian picked the Falcons to reach the Super Bowl?

A: He didn’t pick us to win. He picked us to play [in the Super Bowl.] The only thing I disagree with is that if we play, we are going to win. So, but coming from Bill Polian, in a serious vein, Bill is somebody as a general manager and an executive in the NFL, he’s certainly one of the historic ones in the history of the game. Coming from him, that kind of an appraisal means a great deal. …It means a lot that he’s looked at our talent and sees us that way.

Q: Are you excited about the home the schedule?

A: I’m very excited about our schedule [overall]. I like a number of things about it. Number one, I like the fact that we have a home-away, home-away all the way through the season. I think that’s pretty balanced. I like the fact that we have four national games. We have Thursday night game, a Saturday night game, Sunday night game and a Monday night game. That gives us the kind of national exposure that I think this team has earned. I’m excited about all. … there is a story line behind every single game that we play. … Starting with this coming Sunday in Kansas City, there is obviously a relationship there between Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff. There is a story every Sunday. That is one of the neat things about the NFL. It’s not only who’s competing, but all of the sub-plots that take place.

Q: Are you looking forward to seeing the new defense under coach Nolan?

A: I am. The expression that Mike Nolan uses all the time, which I believe is the way he actually schemes and coaches, is that the defense should play offense. I think the players feel that way. Again, we had a great experience with Brian VanGorder. He helped to bring us to the level that we are today. I think Mike has the capacity to take us to the next level. I think most importantly, the players feel that way now. The fact that as athletes they feel that way, that’s terribly important. I think during the preseason games, what I would say, is that I was very encourage by the way our first teams played on offense and on defense. I’ve seen a lot of good things on both sides of the ball. Hopefully, they’ll continue on as we start shooting the real bullets.

Q: Do you envision Matt Ryan climbing to elite status in the league this year?

A: I think that Matt is certainly one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. I think that most people would put him the top 10 in the league. Frankly, he knows this, as well as our fan-base knows it, to get to that top four or five, we have to win some playoff games. Matt, I think he clearly understands that.

Q: Are you considering some incentives to encourage the fans to get to the games on time?

A: We have tried to do that by creating Falcons Landing, which breaks people hopefully to the Stadium site a couple of hours before the game. There is a lot of activity there. It’s a lot of fun for the whole family. We’ve created a number of packages as far as concessions in our building that create some opportunities for fans to come in and enjoy some food and drink at a little better pricing. I think we’re doing whatever we can . . . to avoid the traffic and get the best parking that’s available. We’ve encouraged fans to be there early and for our team, giving the winning record that our team has on the field at home over the last three or four years is pretty incredible. It’s probably one of the best two or three in the National Football League. We need all of the fans in their seats at the start of the first quarter. Not the middle of the first quarter or after that. They do make a difference in how our team play. Our players feel it. They feel the energy and they feel the enthusiasm. I would encourage our fans, for all of those reasons, to be there early. Enjoy the entire day and help support their team right from the get-go.

Q: Last question, Do you have Julio Jones on your fantasy team?

A: I don’t. I would have picked him, but he was taken by the time my pick came up. I do have several of our players. Frankly, I would have taken the entire team, but there are other owners in our fantasy league and they make choices as well. I’m enthused about doing fantasy again this year. I have the whole family involved again, which creates a lot of interest on Sundays beyond our own team and with a lot of friends as well. So, it’s fun.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/09/07/qa-falcons-owner-arthur-blank-on-the-2012-season/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

I dont like the schedule being away home all year...Glad he confirmed Smittys not on the hot seat. Would have like to see a better response far as expectations of the team.....We need to be there before kickoff to support the team very true, but I've never heard of any incentive to come early. I'm always early to tailgate and the only thing I remember getting far as food and drink was a voucher for a free fountain soda. I think the wag they hold the line is the main reason people not in their seats on time

I dont like the schedule being away home all year...Glad he confirmed Smittys not on the hot seat. Would have like to see a better response far as expectations of the team.....We need to be there before kickoff to support the team very true, but I've never heard of any incentive to come early. I'm always early to tailgate and the only thing I remember getting far as food and drink was a voucher for a free fountain soda. I think the wag they hold the line is the main reason people not in their seats on time

i think his response to expectations was great, simple and to the point, i believe he was sending a message to the team, this is what i expect this year from the team/coaching staff....

dont live in GA so, dont get to attend many games, the few i have attended i was there super early and try to support the team but, like you said, the line managment is horrible!!!! Ex: i went right at half time to get a drink, didn't make it back to my seat untill half way through the 3rd quater....lol...

Well at least Blank does expect playoff win(s) this season. From the article:

"Hopefully, we are going to come out again with a winning season. Hopefully, we’ll come out again in a playoff position and hopefully come out with a better result in the playoff situation than we’ve had in the last few years. So those are my expectations."

A: He didn’t pick us to win. He picked us to play [in the Super Bowl.] The only thing I disagree with is that if we play, we are going to win. So, but coming from Bill Polian, in a serious vein, Bill is somebody as a general manager and an executive in the NFL, he’s certainly one of the historic ones in the history of the game. Coming from him, that kind of an appraisal means a great deal. …It means a lot that he’s looked at our talent and sees us that way.

Love that. "If we play, we are going to win." Tell 'em Arthur!

Love that. "If we play, we are going to win." Tell 'em Arthur!

That's the mind of a winner in life, if you're going to play the game you're playing to win. Not a tie or even a "we gave our best effort" in a loss... you play to win, period. Love that about Blank. He was in business to win and he owns the Falcons to win.

With regards to placing anyone job on the line, with the "Hot seat comment", of couse, at this early stage he's gonna duck that question and give the politically correct answer, but be warned, if the Falcons don't win a playoff game, or worse yet, don't make the playoffs, then I bet MS or TD won't be here in 2013.,

There was nothing PC in Mr. Blank's answer. That answer was from the owner's heart and it was spot on.

There was nothing PC in Mr. Blank's answer. That answer was from the owner's heart and it was spot on.

Yea , that was not owner speak. Ive heard it time and time again when an owner really thinks about going with a new coach. It sounds nothing like that. That was nothing but praise about their accomplishments and reassurance in his belief in them.

I guarantee they are going no where no matter what the outcome of this season. That is just dumb to think different.

They ran a lot of food and drink and merchandise specials from hate open to 30 min before kickoff last year to try and encourage early attendance.

They ran a lot of food and drink and merchandise specials from hate open to 30 min before kickoff last year to try and encourage early attendance.

I know about early specials on merchandise, don't know about food and drinks. Whatever it takes we need to do maybe the Falcons should schedule games to start at 12:30 and kickoff at 1

With regards to placing anyone job on the line, with the "Hot seat comment", of couse, at this early stage he's gonna duck that question and give the politically correct answer, but be warned, if the Falcons don't win a playoff game, or worse yet, don't make the playoffs, then I bet MS or TD won't be here in 2013.,

I think he gives them another shot with a narrow play off loss. If some team comes in and neuters us first play off game- either one or the other is gone.

If we don't make the play offs with a relatively healthy team- then probably the same.

I think he gives them another shot with a narrow play off loss. If some team comes in and neuters us first play off game- either one or the other is gone.

If we don't make the play offs with a relatively healthy team- then probably the same.

Narrow would be the playoff loss to the Cards in 08 - The last 2 PO games have been quite embarrassing and for anyone to say otherwise, well that's embarrassing.

Narrow would be the playoff loss to the Cards in 08 - The last 2 PO games have been quite embarrassing and for anyone to say otherwise, well that's embarrassing.

Yeah the last two were not embarrassing. They were outright humiliations. Getting spanked by mama as a grown man type sheeet. Agree with ya- a disaster like those two this year equals job loss for either TD or Smith.