Bucs To Be Blacked Out For 14 Out Of The Last 16 Games

Trouble

If there’s excitement about the dawn of the Greg Schiano era, or an attractive divisional rival coming to town for the opener, it’s not translating into ticket sales in Tampa.

The Buccaneers home opener will be blacked out Sunday, according to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times.

The Bucs were among the teams willing to reduce the number required to get on local television, electing an 85 percent threshold. They also had a number of promotions to try to get people in the stands, including free parking for some and reduced-price concessions.

They still didn’t make it, after saying earlier this week they were around 9,000 seats short of a “sellout.”

This makes the 14th blackout in the last 16 home games, a streak that extends back to a time when the Bucs were actually good at football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/06/bucs-home-opener-against-panthers-to-be-blacked-out/

Thats even with Cam coming a NFCS rival at that. You would think if nothing else this game would get enough people for it.

Not the best way to start the season.

14 out of games home games is crazy though. The BUC where strong starting off last season and thats home games so that goes back 2 season ago and the bucs where runnign for the playoffs.

Guest Negatorris

http://profootballta...be-blacked-out/

Thats even with Cam coming a NFCS rival at that. You would think if nothing else this game would get enough people for it.

Not the best way to start the season.

14 out of games home games is crazy though. The BUC where strong starting off last season and thats home games so that goes back 2 season ago and the bucs where runnign for the playoffs.

Can't be surprised. They were the worst team in football last year.

Guest Negatorris

Colts, Rams???

The Bucs were playing worse than both of them during their 10 game slid, lol. And that was with their starting QB.

The Bucs were playing worse than both of them during their 10 game slid, lol. And that was with their starting QB.

Naw, you said last year so that's that. Also, the Bucs beat both Atlanta and New Orleans last season, the Rams and Colts didn't win any notable games, they also finished with worse records.

Bucs were better than both the Rams and Colts.

Naw, you said last year so that's that. Also, the Bucs beat both Atlanta and New Orleans last season, the Rams and Colts didn't win any notable games, they also finished with worse records.

Rams beat the Saints last season, but Iagree the Bucs were better than both those teams.

It's not about winning and losing for the Bucs attendance. They had trouble selling out their stadium during their 10-6 season also.

Hopefully it is just the economy down.....and it picks back up soon.

Sad to say but these guys aren't going to start selling out until they reach the playoffs for the second straight season. If somehow we were able to make the playoffs THIS season, I doubt we would even sell out a playoff game. The economy sucks particularly bad down here at this time, but you also have literally thousands of people that could easily afford it, but for whatever reason choose only to go when they KNOW the BUCS have at least a 90% chance of winning. It's really pathetic, but it's the truth.

That's being extremely kind. This team was in complete disarray by the last 3 games of the season. No Focus, No NOTHING! They were so bad that to expect a 180 turn around and see them actually finish with a winning record....even with all the improvements they made this off season, is gonna be next to impossible in my book.

That's being extremely kind. This team was in complete disarray by the last 3 games of the season. No Focus, No NOTHING! They were so bad that to expect a 180 turn around and see them actually finish with a winning record....even with all the improvements they made this off season, is gonna be next to impossible in my book.

JB, we've seen time and time again where a team gets new coaching and turns a whole franchise around in one season, see Saints in 06', and Falcons in 08'. So it's not beyond the scope of possibility that the Bucs could do the same. I'm not saying it will be easy, but the Bucs have talent and maybe this coaching staff will be able to maximize that talent and translate into wins on the field. Hopefully that could give the fanbase the boost it needs.

JB, we've seen time and time again where a team gets new coaching and turns a whole franchise around in one season, see Saints in 06', and Falcons in 08'. So it's not beyond the scope of possibility that the Bucs could do the same. I'm not saying it will be easy, but the Bucs have talent and maybe this coaching staff will be able to maximize that talent and translate into wins on the field. Hopefully that could give the fanbase the boost it needs.

I suppose it COULD happen, but the feeling that's rampant around here, is that Morris set this team back 2 or 3 years with his complete lack of discipline last season. We do have a helluva lot of talent and if we were in the NFC West could probably win the division with little problem but not in the NFC South. Although we could really surprise some people early on, seeing as everything we're doing is different than in the past. I do see us getting better as the season progresses, so we'll see.

I suppose it COULD happen, but the feeling that's rampant around here, is that Morris set this team back 2 or 3 years with his complete lack of discipline last season. We do have a helluva lot of talent and if we were in the NFC West could probably win the division with little problem but not in the NFC South. Although we could really surprise some people early on, seeing as everything we're doing is different than in the past. I do see us getting better as the season progresses, so we'll see.

The element of surprise is always a new coaches' best friend. Schiano seems like the type of coach that doesn't tolerate undisciplined players so that will do wonders for a young team to have a guy like that running it

The element of surprise is always a new coaches' best friend. Schiano seems like the type of coach that doesn't tolerate undisciplined players so that will do wonders for a young team to have a guy like that running it

Roy Miller was quoted as saying in this morning's Times, that the players (even the vets) are scared of Schiano and want to do everything they can to please him and not feel his wrath. I'm sure that'll change as they all get to know him and understand how he operates, but for the time being, I see it as a very good thing.

Roy Miller was quoted as saying in this morning's Times, that the players (even the vets) are scared of Schiano and want to do everything they can to please him and not feel his wrath. I'm sure that'll change as they all get to know him and understand how he operates, but for the time being, I see it as a very good thing.

That's a great thing. I remember Giants players complaining about how rough Tom Coughlin was and you see how that has turned out.

It may be a good thing this game is blacked out seeing as how I just saw that Fox is having Ron Pitts and Mike Martz call the game. Martz is okay, but Pitts is without a doubt one of the worst EVER in a NFL booth! Glad I'll be there and not subjected to Pitts' never ending cliches and dumbass observations while he butchers the names of the players and calls out names of players that aren't even with the teams on the field. How this moron has that job is beyond me.

That's a great thing. I remember Giants players complaining about how rough Tom Coughlin was and you see how that has turned out.

I see a lot of similarities between Schiano and both Coughlin and Belichek. He's a bit of a hardass like Coughlin and plays EVERYTHING close to the vest like Belichek. I'll let you know what I really think of him at the end of this season!wink.png

It may be a good thing this game is blacked out seeing as how I just saw that Fox is having Ron Pitts and Mike Martz call the game. Martz is okay, but Pitts is without a doubt one of the worst EVER in a NFL booth! Glad I'll be there and not subjected to Pitts' never ending cliches and dumbass observations while he butchers the names of the players and calls out names of players that aren't even with the teams on the field. How this moron has that job is beyond me.

Lolol! I definitely agree, when he calls a Saints game, I usually hit the mute button and listen to the radio broadcast on the computer.

Edited by meezy0236

Greg Schiano will take the sideline as an NFL head coach in a regular season game for the first time on Sunday, and he’ll be able to enjoy it thanks to months of hard work by the Buccaneers

Schiano09_06_12_1_t.jpg

It’s less than 72 hours until the Tampa Bay Buccaneers run through the tunnel for their Week One matchup against the Carolina Panthers, and for Bucs Head Coach Greg Schiano it will be his first time on an NFL sideline in the regular season since 1998, when he was a defensive backfield coach for the Chicago Bears.

Schiano spent the intervening years as a defensive coordinator at the University of Miami for two seasons and then the head coach at Rutgers for 11. That means Panthers’ scouts must scour old Scarlet Knight tapes if they want any clues as to his most recent offensive and defensive tendencies. The Schiano-led Buccaneers, in other words, are something of a new commodity for their early-season opponents, especially with two new coordinators in tow.

But as Schiano points out, that is a hurdle that all NFL teams must face before a Week One matchup with any team.

"Every first game there is an element [of surprise], because coaches don't sit around all spring and summer," he said, noting that the Panthers are sure to look different in 2012 as well. "They go out and investigate new ideas and come up with new things. So we're going to see new things."

So is there any advantage to being a little inscrutable? Perhaps a bit, at least in the season’s first few weeks, before a whole lot of new evidence is generated by game tapes.

"There is a little more unknown with us, which is fun,” Schiano conceded. “It won’t be for long, but we'll take it when we can get it."

One might not expect to hear the word “fun” from a man three days away from beginning his own NFL win-loss record. However, when you have undergone an offseason full of change and growth the way the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have, the nerves have a way of disappearing.

"I don't really have any apprehensions; games bring crazy situations," said Schiano. "That’s why the games are the most fun part of the job. You’ve got think on your feet, you’ve got to make adjustments. And that will be fun.

"When you're unprepared you get nervous. If you're prepared, you get excited. And that’s kind of the way I approach it. I've got work to do still. But I plan on being prepared and it should be exciting."

Edited by jb 3.0

I never really "got" the blackout rule.

You reward fanbases that sell out, and that part makes sense...

but to punish a team's ability to market itself to its home market seems really counterproductive.

In doing so, you lose the lead-in to the following game if they are in the 1pm slot.

And if they are in the 4pm slot, you lose an already watching "captive" audience.

I would like to see the NFL consider perhaps showing the last hour of a scheduled broadcast in this situation.

The "punishment" of not being able to see the whole game is still in effect.

But you do leave the possibility open of perhaps luring some fans to watch.

Selling local advertising might produce a nice penny with an hour of 4th quarter football.

And if you get fans to watch, then they consider buying tickets.

Not showing the team at all only perpetuates complacency.

I never really "got" the blackout rule.

You reward fanbases that sell out, and that part makes sense...

but to punish a team's ability to market itself to its home market seems really counterproductive.

In doing so, you lose the lead-in to the following game if they are in the 1pm slot.

And if they are in the 4pm slot, you lose an already watching "captive" audience.

I would like to see the NFL consider perhaps showing the last hour of a scheduled broadcast in this situation.

The "punishment" of not being able to see the whole game is still in effect.

But you do leave the possibility open of perhaps luring singe fans to watch.

Selling local advertising might produce a nice penny with an hour of 4th quarter football.

And if you get fans to watch, then they consider buying tickets.

Not showing the team at all only perpetuates complacency.

Excellent post, and a really good idea.