Are 2004 Falcons The Worst 11-5 Team In Nfl History?

Falconsfan567

One of the worst playoff teams ever and one of the worst 11 win teams ever? Look at the losses the Falcons had that year.

17-10 at home to 6-10 Lions.

56-10 on road to 7-9 Chiefs.

27-0 on road to 5-11 Bucs.

26-13 on road to 8-8 Saints.

28-26 on road to 9-7 Seahawks.

Then in the playoffs lost 20-6 on the road to the 13-3 Eagles. Also look at how unimpressive a couple of the wins were.

6-3 at home over 6-10 Cardinals.

14-10 on road over 6-10 Giants.

Sure they won a playoff game 47-17 but that was against the 8-8 Rams.

The Falcons finished the year with 340 points scored. That was 16th in the NFL.

The Falcons finished the year with 5084 yards offensively. That was 20th in the NFL.

The Falcons finished the year with 6872 all purpose yards. That was 17th in the NFL.

The Falcons finished the year with 337 points given up. That was 14th in the NFL.

The Falcons finished the year with 5207 yards given up defensively. That was 14th in the NFL.

The Falcons finished the year with just 2 more turnovers forced than committed. That was 17th in the NFL.

The Falcons finished the year with just 3 more points scored than allowed.

All those numbers means they should have been about 8-8 that year. That would have put them right in line with the actual 8-8 record they posted in 2005 and 7-9 in 2006.

Look I have always thought that 2004 team was very lucky that year and wasn't nearly as good as people thought they were and that we shouldn't have been surprised at the 2nd half meltdowns that happened in both 2005 and 2006. But this is the first time I've ever looked up the numbers to back up that thought.

Just some food for thought.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of us making the playoffs had to do with some clutch defensive stands that year. You know who worked some of his magic as well.

Yeah. Defensive usually did something great at the end of the game or Vick would do something special. But for the most part all the numbers scream that they were just an average middle of the road team. It pretty much explains why basically the same team (save for a couple players here or there) couldn't repeat that season again in 2005 and 2006. It was because what happened in 2004 was a fluke.

Worst ever is a huge stretch. The NFC was weaker in 2004 than at any time in the last 30+ years. Only 3 teams won 10 or more games, and we benefitted significantly from that. However, the fact is that we were the 2nd best team in the NFC that year.

Well find other examples of worst 11 win teams in NFL history. I'll wait.

We weren't great, but we were still good enough to be the 2nd best team in the NFC. We got to the NFCCG and deservedly so.

Historically, many other 11-5 teams have made the playoffs and been totally blown up in their 1st playoff game when they got there - like the 2011 saints who went 11-5, before losing their first playoff game to the pathetic 7-9 Seahawks. At least we won a playoff game, and broke some NfL records in the process.

In any case, comparing them to other 11-5 teams feom other years is pointless.

I was telling this to ATL/O,

one we had the best dline in the Nfl but our offense and dbacks were lolable. But it was a down year in the NFC, we got the luck of the draw in the rams and deservably got routed by reids team. Anywho we were mediocre after that for a reason, and thats cause we got exposed.

Just pointless to speak about something So far back when the NEW season,is about to start. Don't get but hurt cuz I said who cares.

I'm not hurt. Just want to know why you feel the need to come in this thread and post that. If you don't care than GTFO. Plain and simple. No need to bring that **** up in here like that because others posted thoughts on the subject in this thread.

How many wildcard teams have won the Superbowl since the addition of a wildcard? How many last seed teams have knocked off 1seeds to get all the way? I have trouble saying the 2010 Falcons were the worst 13-3 ever. That is a bold statement. I dont feel like looking up all this on my phone right now but If I recall it happens a lot. Its not rare for the top seeds to be knocked out.

They possibly could be. But were the 2010 Falcons the worst 13-3 team ever? Then we got shellacked in our own house, with home field throughout the playoffs. This was more of a heartbreak than the 2004 11-5 team.

Agreed. Not to mention that the 04 team probably would have finished 13-3 as well but shut guys down after 11 wins and clinching the bye.

How many wildcard teams have won the Superbowl since the addition of a wildcard? How many last seed teams have knocked off 1seeds to get all the way? I have trouble saying the 2010 Falcons were the worst 13-3 ever. That is a bold statement. I dont feel like looking up all this on my phone right now but If I recall it happens a lot. Its not rare for the top seeds to be knocked out.

I think it's only happened 2 or 3 times. That Steelers team with Bettis was a 6 seed I think. I think the 07 Giants and the 2010 Packers are the only other teams.