Wildcat Package For Davis?

mckinnon91

FIrst of all and most importantly............RIP to the Master Exploder. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the message boards. I really hated to learn of the accident. Condolences and prayers to family and friends.

The thought had crossed my mind during the preseason while watching DD that I wondered if the coaches might not put a wildcate package together as a way to get DD on the field for several plays per game. It seems he would make a great run/pass threat. It would be a great way to give the rookie some "real" game experience. However I have seen very little of him other than preseason. I was wondering if board members who have watched him play at ECU, would have any thought about giving DD a few snaps per game?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD is a pocket passer so there is no point putting him out there in a package. Just because he's black doesn't mean he's that deadly as a runner.

I am not really familiar with the offense he ran at ECU hence my asking for additional insight from the folks who have watched him play. He seemed very mobile to me. I think at a minimum the thought would be in the defenses minds that he may run and may cause some hesitation on their part.

I am not really familiar with the offense he ran at ECU hence my asking for additional insight from the folks who have watched him play. He seemed very mobile to me. I think at a minimum the thought would be in the defenses minds that he may run and may cause some hesitation on their part.

Compared to Ryan yea of course but not to the point you scare defenses with his running ability. Your not going to see him having 60 yard runs like Kaepernick or Pryor to justify 3 plays a game. That's just a waste of time.

To be honest I don't think we have anybody deadly enough to run the wildcat outside of Julio.

When the wildcat had just started, they asked Smith if he would run the wildcat and he said something to the effect of:

"No, why would I take the ball out of my best playmaker's hands 10-12 snaps a game?"

But we did.....with Norwood

it was only like 2-3 plays but it didn't affect Turner that much like you were implying.

When the wildcat had just started, they asked Smith if he would run the wildcat and he said something to the effect of:

"No, why would I take the ball out of my best playmaker's hands 10-12 snaps a game?"

I agree with this to a degree, but is wrong to consider getting all your weapons on the field? In no way am I advocating DD over Ryan, that would be crazy. I agree DD should be studying the game from the sidelines but for him to develop into a quality #2 there has to be some "real" game experience, but no, I would not give him 12 snaps a game........

Watched Davis a ton at ECU.....while he definitely is mobile enough in the pocket and is able to extend plays because of that ability, he's primarily a classic in-the-pocket style QB.

He's no Kordell Stewart.

That's wierd. I don't ever remember Norwood taking snaps at QB. Anybody else remember that?

He did a few times but it wasn't alot

The most memorable one was when we were in the wildcat and tried to run a reverse but ended up losing ten yards. I think Redman was starting and we lost on a 4 down play where he threw it to Snelling and was a yard short.

Can't remember who we played.