Falcon Stadium Proposed Sites

big_D

The 8/24/12 edition of the Atlanta Business Journal says the new stadium will end up at either of two locations. Just north of the current Dome where there would be more space for tailgating and parking or a site on the southside of the GWCC where a small church currently sits.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2012/08/24/south-site-gains-favor-for-new.html

The article says it will definitly have a retractable roof and will be a state of the art show piece. Blank wants it up and running by 2017. Any thoughts?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 8/24/12 edition of the Atlanta Business Journal says the new stadium will end up at either of two locations. Just north of the current Dome where there would be more space for tailgating and parking or a site on the southside of the GWCC where a small church currently sits.

http://www.bizjourna...or-for-new.html

The article says it will definitly have a retractable roof and will be a state of the art show piece. Blank wants it up and running by 2017. Any thoughts?

Can you post of the rest of the article it says I must subscribe to continue reading. Otherwise cue the people complaining about wasting tax payer money that they don't actually pay.

Can you post of the rest of the article it says I must subscribe to continue reading. Otherwise cue the people complaining about wasting tax payer money that they don't actually pay.

Yeah, god forbid people have opinions on how the government appropriates tax revenue.

Yeah, god forbid people have opinions on how the government appropriates tax revenue.

The point is they are terribly uneducated on how those taxes are used. There are very specific statutes to very specific fund types and how they are used. That's like watching a football game and bitching about someone not hitting a home run.

I was one of the ones who always said move it to the north like Cobb County or North Fulton areas, but now I think it should stay down town. I thought moving it north would strengthen tailgating, the fan base and things like that, but after hearing how the Gwinnett Braves are struggling I now think that the it wouldn't make a difference where the new stadium goes. I know the G Braves are not a big draw to begin with, but I do think that the Braves were thinking they get record turnouts in that area. Hasn't happened.

Just make the new stadium more tailgate friendly and have a great outdoor complex of shops and restaurants to go with it.

Coca Cola Sports Coliseum or Home Depot Field, I'm ready for it.

I was one of the ones who always said move it to the north like Cobb County or North Fulton areas, but now I think it should stay down town. I thought moving it north would strengthen tailgating, the fan base and things like that, but after hearing how the Gwinnett Braves are struggling I now think that the it wouldn't make a difference where the new stadium goes. I know the G Braves are not a big draw to begin with, but I do think that the Braves were thinking they get record turnouts in that area. Hasn't happened.

Just make the new stadium more tailgate friendly and have a great outdoor complex of shops and restaurants to go with it.

Coca Cola Sports Coliseum or Home Depot Field, I'm ready for it.

I work up in Gainesville 25 miles north of the Coolray Field (G Braves) and most people here say if they have to drive a half hour to the minor league team then they might as well drive the extra 30 mins and see the major league team. Personally I love being close to the stadium but to fill seats they should have put it in an area that does not have an MLB team so close. I would imagine since the Thrashers are gone the Gwinnett Gladiators attendance will go up.

The traffic study they did a while back related to the Falcons suggests something over 60% of the traffic is from the north so it wouldn't have necessarily been a bad idea to move it 10 miles north but just the same I would sympathize with those coming from the south because I would be annoyed if I had to drive down near Hartsfield to attend the games.

I hope it's up and running by 2017. That would be great. I'd definitely be there for the opening game.

To the Doraville idea, that was never going to happen. Blank was bluffing on that. He doesn't want to move from downtown. The retractable roof gives him skyline views and better views for fly overs and the Super Bowl prospects are better fit for downtown, not Doraville. It was purely to scare the GWCC.

Can't wait to see plans though.

I haven't lived in Atlanta for about 6 years. Do they still have that closed Ford plant on the south side of town off of I-75?

Tthey should just build there. Plenty of space and probably a lot cheaper than building it on the north side.

**** to tha NO. I'm not interested in driving any further south than Turner Field. Bottom line is that the new stadium needs to be seen in a nice part of town.

I hope it's up and running by 2017. That would be great. I'd definitely be there for the opening game.

To the Doraville idea, that was never going to happen. Blank was bluffing on that. He doesn't want to move from downtown. The retractable roof gives him skyline views and better views for fly overs and the Super Bowl prospects are better fit for downtown, not Doraville. It was purely to scare the GWCC.

Can't wait to see plans though.

You don't need a stadium in downtown where there is no parking. I have been to several Cowboy games in the new stadium. That stadium isn't even in Dallas it is way in Arlington.

Doraville would be perfect because you have plenty of space for hotels, shops, and etc.