Numbers Say Matt Ryan Already Elite

Over the past few years, and especially this preseason, there’s been a lot of debate about if Atlanta’s Matt Ryan is an “elite’’ quarterback.

I’m not sure what the exact qualifications are for elite status. But I’ve always been a big believer that the most important thing a quarterback can do is win games.

11237.jpgRyan

If that’s true, Ryan qualifies as elite. In four seasons, he’s won a lot of games. Ryan’s career record as a starter is 43-19. That’s a .694 winning percentage, which puts him third among active NFL quarterbacks that have made 10 regular-season starts.

Only Tom Brady (.780) and Ben Roethlisberger (.708) have better winning percentages, and I think pretty much everyone agrees they’re elite. Ryan’s winning percentage is ahead of guys like Peyton Manning (.678), Aaron Rodgers (.661) and Drew Brees (.601) and I don’t think there’s any question they’re elite quarterbacks.

Yeah, I know the difference with Ryan is that he never has won a postseason game. But people used to knock Manning for not being able to win the big one early in his career and he now is on his way to the Hall of Fame.

I think Ryan already is an elite quarterback. But there’s only one way to permanently end the argument. That’s for Ryan to go out and start winning some postseason games.

By the way, Ryan’s winning percentage is far superior to predecessor Michael Vick’s (.588). It’s also better than another guy who had some success in the NFC South -- former Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme (.583).

Aside from Ryan and Brees, let’s take a look at the career winning percentages of the other current NFC South quarterbacks.

Tampa Bay’s Josh Freeman is 17-23 (.425). Carolina’s Cam Newton is 6-10 (.375).

There are even a few NFC South backups who qualified for the list by making at least 10 career starts, but their winning percentages aren’t very impressive. Carolina’s Derek Anderson is at .419, Tampa Bay’s Dan Orlovsky is at .167 and Carolina’s Jimmy Clausen is at .100. But, hey, at least Clausen doesn’t rank dead last in winning percentage among active quarterbacks with at least 10 career starts. Tyler Thigpen (.083) holds that distinction.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/62666/numbers-say-matt-ryan-already-elite#comments

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Negatorris

That is a very logical way to look at things. Give one player 100% of the credit for wins.

Just like how Newton never got blamed for Carolina's 10 losses a year ago?

That is a very logical way to look at things. Give one player 100% of the credit for wins.

Well he get's 100% blame for the playoff losses half the time, I think it just balances out..tongue.png

I think he'll get that first win this year or next anyways. Provided the O-Line can do it's job and the situational play-calling get's better.

I notice Joe Flacco's argument-killing, career winning pct and playoff record aren't among those mentioned.

I was wondering that also. Flacco is 44-20 since coming into the league... Ryan is 43-21. Why is Pat Y only mentioning SB winning Qbs, and ignoring the other obviously elite qb, Flacco?

Guest Negatorris

I was wondering that also. Flacco is 44-20 since coming into the league... Ryan is 43-21. Why is Pat Y only mentioning SB winning Qbs, and ignoring the other obviously elite qb, Flacco?

Because Flacco has never posted top 10 QB numbers?

Cam is already being called elite by a big chunk of the media and hasn't won jack. This is an argument you are just better keeping quiet about. Come back when your QB actually wins something.

Cam is already being called elite by a big chunk of the media and hasn't won jack. This is an argument you are just better keeping quiet about. Come back when your QB actually wins something.

I like how you brought up Cam's name when a valid point was made. You didn't have anything for the Flacco and Ryan comparison??