Wwii Vet, 92, Kills Intruder With Single Shot In Kentucky

Statick

A 92-year-old World War II veteran describes how he shot and killed an intruder with single shot while defending his home in Verona, Ke. WLWT's Brian Hamrick reports.

A 92-year-old World War II veteran says he wasn’t scared and was only protecting himself and his property when he shot to death an intruder who broke into his home.

Earl Jones, of Verona, Ky., had already been the target of three separate break-ins in August, deputies said, according to WLWT-TV. So when the Boone County farmer heard a bang in his basement early Monday morning, Jones was ready, quickly grabbing his loaded .22-caliber rifle from his bedroom.

When the intruder kicked open the door leading up from the basement, Jones fired a single shot.

“He kicked the door and as soon as he got inside, it was all over,” Jones told WLWT-TV.

“I was hoping another one would come up – I aimed right for his heart,” Jones, who served in the U.S. Army Air Forces from 1941 through 1946, told The Cincinnati Enquirer.

“Was I scared? Was I mad? **** no,” Jones told the Enquirer. “It was simple. That man was going to take my life. He was hunting me. I was protecting myself.”

Jones then called 911. When Boone County deputies arrived, they found the basement door ajar but the intruder’s body was gone.

A short time later Kenton County Police responded to a call of a man who had been shot and found a deceased man and two others in a 2001 Chevrolet Impala.

The dead man was identified by the sheriff’s office as Lloyd “Adam” Maxwell, 24 of Richmond, Ky.

The two people with him were brought back to Boone County and later admitted they were involved in the burglary, authorities said. Ryan Dalton, 22 and Donnie Inabnit, 20, both of Dry Ridge, Ky., were arrested and charged with second-degree burglary and tampering with physical evidence. Authorities said they removed Maxwell’s body from Jones’ home and drove away.

Jones was not injured and faces no charges at this point, WLWT reported.

I applaud him for being a good shot and taking out the intruder. On the flip side, it is painful knowing that in some states without the stand your ground law, you could go to jail for doing what he did.

In some states it is illegal to be lying in wait, or ambush an intruder in your own home. He waited by the door and shot him as he came through. That used to be illegal in Georgia.

I applaud him for being a good shot and taking out the intruder. On the flip side, it is painful knowing that in some states without the stand your ground law, you could go to jail for doing what he did.

In some states it is illegal to be lying in wait, or ambush an intruder in your own home. He waited by the door and shot him as he came through. That used to be illegal in Georgia.

Really? That's ******* semantics. Somebody's in my house trespassing it's me or them and i'm resorting to whatever i have to.

Ryan Dalton, 22 and Donnie Inabnit, 20, both of Dry Ridge, Ky., were arrested and charged with second-degree burglary and tampering with physical evidence.

I'm moving from Lexington to Dry Ridge in about two weeks... Never owned a gun, but might need to change that... Seems to be alot of meth-related crime up in that area...

Its crazy the way this country is turning. I honestly believe we are seeing the death of america. And the people are too oblivious to see it.

If that is the death of America, then it's also the death of the world. Home intrusions, thievery, random violence occur all across this planet, not just in America. That Americans don't read about violence and crime against individuals or their homes in places like Bratislava, Stockholm or Montevideo does not mean that it's not happening.

If anything, too often in those places it is the victim of the crime who is brutalized or killed by the criminal.

To the WW2 vet I say thanks for serving your country yet again.

I'm moving from Lexington to Dry Ridge in about two weeks... Never owned a gun, but might need to change that... Seems to be alot of meth-related crime up in that area...

If that's in eastern KY then yes. Lots of meth problems in that part of the world. I got family in Frankfort and there are all kinds of stories about the rampant meth problem and crime in the hills of eastern KY and WV.

If that's in eastern KY then yes. Lots of meth problems in that part of the world. I got family in Frankfort and there are all kinds of stories about the rampant meth problem and crime in the hills of eastern KY and WV.

It's more northern KY; it's about halfway between Lexington and Cincinnati... Meth problem isn't quite as bad as what it is in eastern KY but it's definitely an issue...

Really? That's ******* semantics. Somebody's in my house trespassing it's me or them and i'm resorting to whatever i have to.

It's true. There are people in prison for first degree murder for killing home intruders. You also cannot set traps if somebody is burglarizing your home or business and you find the way they are coming in. Some guy's business was getting burglarized repeatedly and he figured out how the guy was getting in. The cops couldn't catch the guy. The guy was coming in through the ceiling so the owner set a trap for the ceiling to fall away. The burglar got hung on the cabling and choked to death. The business owner went to prison for premeditated murder, though I do think they dropped it to involuntary manslaughter, hard to remember. Either way, he went to jail for years.

It's true. There are people in prison for first degree murder for killing home intruders. You also cannot set traps if somebody is burglarizing your home or business and you find the way they are coming in. Some guy's business was getting burglarized repeatedly and he figured out how the guy was getting in. The cops couldn't catch the guy. The guy was coming in through the ceiling so the owner set a trap for the ceiling to fall away. The burglar got hung on the cabling and choked to death. The business owner went to prison for premeditated murder, though I do think they dropped it to involuntary manslaughter, hard to remember. Either way, he went to jail for years.

I'd give him a medal for using ingenuity to create an alarm system to kill the robber.