Been Away For A While...need A Few Updates

ol'_dirty2

Due to some new coaching duties, I haven't been on here nor have I watched or read much about the team in the offseason like in the past. I have a few questions about the team.

1) How does our secondary look (if the starters have played much)?

2) Has our defensive front gotten in the backfield?

3) What changes if any have you noticed in the offensive attack?

much appreciated--Dirty

Due to some new coaching duties, I haven't been on here nor have I watched or read much about the team in the offseason like in the past. I have a few questions about the team.

much appreciated--Dirty

Our starting defense and secondary have looked great. Our backups, not so much.

Peria Jerry has been a nice surprise on the DL. They look strong, though they have not gotten a lot of sacks. If Jerry can anchor our DL, I'm not worried about them.

I like the way the new offense looks. We haven't gameplanned but early on we saw a lot of vertical routes and recently a lot of screens. I can't wait to see it @KC.

Our starting defense and secondary have looked great. Our backups, not so much.

Peria Jerry has been a nice surprise on the DL. They look strong, though they have not gotten a lot of sacks. If Jerry can anchor our DL, I'm not worried about them.

I like the way the new offense looks. We haven't gameplanned but early on we saw a lot of vertical routes and recently a lot of screens. I can't wait to see it @KC.

thank you kindly

Sounds like depth is an issue again on defense...not loving that. Everything else sounds like good news. Especially PJerry

much appreciated--Dirty

Secondary has looked exactly like a realist would expect.

CB: Asante has flashed his playmaking ability, while also being burned for jumping a route and not wrapping up. Dunta has played solid but not great, allowing completions but immediately tackling his man, and showing talent as a blitzer. Grimey is same as usual. Biggest suprise may be that one of our UDFAs, like Peyton Thompson could make the roster(at the expense of Owens).

S: Mitchell and Hope have not impressed me and I wouldn't be happy to see either pressed into starting duty. Both are better than Schillinger IMO. One of the three won't make it and the decision may be decided by special teams. Hope is the best option as a S, Shillinger is the best special teamer, Mitchell has the most upside. So far DeCoud and Moore look good.

Defensive front looks ok. Jerry is playing great and looking like he did in college. Travarian Robertson has earned a roster spot. He was labeled as purely a run stuffer, but our coaches have got him pushing the pocket back fairly consistently. Biermann looks like a very good fit for Nolan's scheme. Sid is building on last year. Matthews may be showing too little too late to keep his spot. Massoqoui is FAST and STRONG. He reminds me a little of Terrell Suggs. Unfortunately he hasn't caught up to the speed and nuance of the pro game, so he'll probably have a limited roll until things slow down for him- too talented to put on the PS but not ready for heavy playing time. Nothing new to say about Abe, Babs, or Edwards. But pressure will be up this year because Nolan is bringing the heat from our LBs and DBs.

The only other note I would add about the defense is that Dent looks like he will do a respectable job at MLB. He's been inconsistent, but clearly he has the make up for it and just needs to be thrown in the fire.

On Offense, we are throwing it around as much as any team in the league. Julio has earned the confidence from Matt that he can throw it up even when he appears covered. Suprisingly, Clabo has had the roughest run of it among starters on the OL. Baker looks improved and I'll even admit begrudgingly that Reynolds appears less of a liability though still a below avg player. I need to see it in the regular season before being comfortable with him though. Ryan has always gotten the ball out quickly, but Koetter has him doing the same on our deep attempts and that adjustment has kept him pretty clean. Mike Cox looks terrible, he's been getting blown up in every game. He should be cut. Best suprise so far on offense is that Lamar Holmes has shown promise. He has the tools and hasn't embarrased himself. IMO he has a great shot to be our starting LT next season and for years to come. Second best suprise is Dominque Davis. Rare to see an UDFA step right in and not only look like he belongs, but make some noise too. Lastly, screen game looks good. These aren't just little swing passes, our OL is getting out front and even Turner is getting in on the action.

Edited by maxatlanta

Here is the AFMB recap (taken from numerous pre-season posts):

Offense:

QB - Matt Ryan is a noodle arm loser. Davis should be starting, oh wait, now he sucks and our QB situation is dire.

RB - Turner is too slow and fat to play RB in the NFL. Quizz is too small. Snelling is...well who knows.

FB - Polite is Ovie Part 2. Cox stinks. Dimitroff drafted Ewing knowing he'd blow out a knee on a block from behind.

LT - Baker sucks. Svitek sucks. Holmes sucks.

LG - Blalock is OK.

C - McClure is done and Hawley sucks. Konz stinks.

RG - Reynolds, Johnson, Konz and everyone else sucks.

RT - Clabo forgot how to play football.

WR1 - Roddy can't catch.

WR2 - Julio is a god on Earth...except for him dropping diving catch attempts. Dimitroff is hurting Julio's hamstrings very soon.

WR3 - Everyone after Julio sucks. Kerry Meier should be killed because people root for him to succeed.

WR4 - Good luck. Treasure chest of fail.

TE - Tony G needs to hang it up because he is not Graham or Gronkowski.

Defense:

DE - Ray Edwards sucks. Biermann needs to concentrate on football instead of his wife.

DE - Abe is good. Everyone behind him sucks.

DT - Babs is a felon, but he is good.

DT - Dimitroff caused Peters to get a broken foot. Jerry is playing well...or he sucks. Everyone else sucks.

LB - Spoon rules. Nicholas is OK. Dent sucks.

CB - Grimes is good. Robinson sucks. Samuel sucks. Franks sucks. Owens sucks.

S - Decoud sucks. Moore is great as long as Dimitroff doesn't injure him. Everyone else sucks.

Special Teams:

K - Bryant is great.

P - Bosher is great, except when he sucks.

PR - Everyone sucks.

KR - Quizz sucks.

Coaching:

Smith - Too conservative except when going for it on 4th. Then he is not conservative enough. Needs to post medical records on the AFMB.

Koetter - Same as Mularkey, except for screens and deep passing.

Nolan - Too vanilla.

Did I miss anything?

Offense:

QB - Matt Ryan is a noodle arm loser. Davis should be starting, oh wait, now he sucks and our QB situation is dire.

RB - Turner is too slow and fat to play RB in the NFL. Quizz is too small. Snelling is...well who knows.

FB - Polite is Ovie Part 2. Cox stinks. Dimitroff drafted Ewing knowing he'd blow out a knee on a block from behind.

LG - Blalock is OK.

WR1 - Roddy can't catch.

WR2 - Julio is a god on Earth...except for him dropping diving catch attempts. Dimitroff is hurting Julio's hamstrings very soon.

WR3 - Everyone after Julio sucks. Kerry Meier should be killed because people root for him to succeed.

Defense:

DE - Ray Edwards sucks. Biermann needs to concentrate on football instead of his wife.

DT - Dimitroff caused Peters to get a broken foot. Jerry is playing well...or he sucks. Everyone else sucks.

S - Decoud sucks. Moore is great as long as Dimitroff doesn't injure him. Everyone else sucks.

Special Teams:

K - Bryant is great.

PR - Everyone sucks.

KR - Quizz sucks.

Coaching:

Smith - Too conservative except when going for it on 4th. Then he is not conservative enough. Needs to post medical records on the AFMB.

Nolan - Too vanilla.

Did I miss anything?

Bang on

Offense:

LG - Blalock is OK.

WR1 - Roddy can't catch.

Defense:

Special Teams:

K - Bryant is great.

PR - Everyone sucks.

KR - Quizz sucks.

Coaching:

Nolan - Too vanilla.

Did I miss anything?

Alright AFMB, you can shut the boards down now. Duff settled it. We're good.

Dimitroff is killing us!

Offense:

LG - Blalock is OK.

WR1 - Roddy can't catch.

Defense:

Special Teams:

K - Bryant is great.

PR - Everyone sucks.

KR - Quizz sucks.

Coaching:

Nolan - Too vanilla.

Did I miss anything?

One of the very few posts that have made me literally lol.

Dent as expected is raw. Teams have been running up the middle. They may have fixed the pass problem but broke the run defense at least for now. I've seen Dent make a couple of nice stops but I saw quite a few arm tackles that were of course broken. I think people will miss Lofton a little bit more than they realized if he were healthy.

Offense:

LG - Blalock is OK.

WR1 - Roddy can't catch.

Defense:

Special Teams:

K - Bryant is great.

PR - Everyone sucks.

KR - Quizz sucks.

Coaching:

Nolan - Too vanilla.

Did I miss anything?

laugh.png Freakin' nailed it.