Wait, Did I Just Hear Paul Ryan Correctly?

Looks like you were right Acworth..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/paul-ryan-address_n_1841819.html

TAMPA, Fla. -- Paul Ryan pledgedWednesday that if he and his running mate Mitt Romney were elected president, they would usher in an ethic of responsibility. The Wisconsin congressman and GOP vice presidential candidate repeatedly chided President Barack Obama for blaming the jobs and housing crises on his predecessor, saying that his habit of "forever shifting blame to the last administration, is getting old. The man assumed office almost four years ago -– isn’t it about time he assumed responsibility?"

Ryan then noted that Obama, while campaigning for president, promised that a GM plant in Wisconsin would not shut down. "That plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day. And that’s how it is in so many towns today, where the recovery that was promised is nowhere in sight," Ryan said.

Except Obama didn't promise that. And the plant closed in December 2008 -- while George W. Bush was president.

It was just one of several striking and demonstrably misleading elements of Ryan's much-anticipated acceptance speech. And it comes just days after Romney pollster Neil Newhouse warned, defending the campaign's demonstrably false ads claiming Obama removed work requirements from welfare, "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers."

Ryan, for his part, slammed the president for not supporting a deficit commission report without mentioning that he himself had voted against it, helping to kill it.

He also made a cornerstone of his argument the claim that Obama "funneled" $716 billion out of Medicare to pay for Obamacare. But he didn't mention that his own budget plan relies on those very same savings.

Ryan also put responsibility for Standard & Poor's downgrade of U.S. government debt at Obama's doorstep. But he didn't mention that S&P itself, in explaining its downgrade, referred to the debt ceiling standoff. That process of raising the debt ceiling was only politicized in the last Congress, driven by House Republicans, led in the charge by Paul Ryan.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you were right Acworth..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/paul-ryan-address_n_1841819.html

TAMPA, Fla. -- Paul Ryan pledgedWednesday that if he and his running mate Mitt Romney were elected president, they would usher in an ethic of responsibility. The Wisconsin congressman and GOP vice presidential candidate repeatedly chided President Barack Obama for blaming the jobs and housing crises on his predecessor, saying that his habit of "forever shifting blame to the last administration, is getting old. The man assumed office almost four years ago -– isn’t it about time he assumed responsibility?"

Ryan then noted that Obama, while campaigning for president, promised that a GM plant in Wisconsin would not shut down. "That plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day. And that’s how it is in so many towns today, where the recovery that was promised is nowhere in sight," Ryan said.

Except Obama didn't promise that. And the plant closed in December 2008 -- while George W. Bush was president.

It was just one of several striking and demonstrably misleading elements of Ryan's much-anticipated acceptance speech. And it comes just days after Romney pollster Neil Newhouse warned, defending the campaign's demonstrably false ads claiming Obama removed work requirements from welfare, "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers."

Ryan, for his part, slammed the president for not supporting a deficit commission report without mentioning that he himself had voted against it, helping to kill it.

He also made a cornerstone of his argument the claim that Obama "funneled" $716 billion out of Medicare to pay for Obamacare. But he didn't mention that his own budget plan relies on those very same savings.

Ryan also put responsibility for Standard & Poor's downgrade of U.S. government debt at Obama's doorstep. But he didn't mention that S&P itself, in explaining its downgrade, referred to the debt ceiling standoff. That process of raising the debt ceiling was only politicized in the last Congress, driven by House Republicans, led in the charge by Paul Ryan.

Yeah, still don't see where he said "Simpson-Bowles" specifically. Looks like people are attempting to connect the dots. I'm open to the discussion ONCE someone can absolutely prove what he was referring to.

Yeah, still don't see where he said "Simpson-Bowles" specifically. Looks like people are attempting to connect the dots. I'm open to the discussion ONCE someone can absolutely prove what he was referring to.

You just missed a senior advisor (Mr.Etch a Sketch) to the Romney campaign on Starting Point trying to defend the comments. So he basically connected the dots for us.

Guest Deisel

What gets me here is Obama and wasserman shultz and co. can lie to the american people, daily, play the class warfare card, the race card, the down and out card and then if Ryan or Romney say something that you don't agree with, THEY"re out as if their ruining the country by standing up to this administration. The lies and deceit from this President, VP, and admin is historical. Add up all Obama's BROKEN PROMISES and its stretchs 3 full pages, small print.

I didn't get to watch the whole speech (I came in about 10-15 minutes late) but I didn't hear any reference to the Simpson-Bowles plan. Did he mention it by name? Did he specifically say that Obama rejected the Simpson-Bowles plan?

He created a bipartisan debt commission. They came back with an urgent report. He thanked them, sent them on their way, and then did exactly nothing.

Republicans stepped up with good-faith reforms and solutions equal to the problems. How did the president respond? By doing nothing – nothing except to dodge and demagogue the issue.

When it's time for the conventions I expect to hear equal parts rhetoric, laying of the foundation of the party platform, and attacks against the coming opponent. So I can look past the slip ups/misrepresentations and attempt to devine how the candidate will do when it comes to helping his side win the election. I suppose I'm trying to say that I can allow myself to watch as if I actually drank the kool-Aid and am willing to support the candidate no mater which faux pas' he may create.

Considering those parameters above I thought Ryan did a fairly good job. At the very least he proved himself to be the anti-Palin and demonstrated the ability to discuss issues and hold his own. I believe I can easily see him being the Republican nominee some day in the near future, provided he doesn't fall into some huge controversial mess of his own creation.

But I still get a big kick out of those who believe he will somehow mop the floor with Biden when it comes to the debates. Biden is a bit of an airhead, he speaks before fully thinking and makes newsworthy gaffes at an impressive rate sometimes. But Biden is absolutely not stupid and he does have the ability boil things down to a level that allows him to speak in a manner which gives him the appearance of being forthright, and uninvolved in the doublespeak of most of the current crop of politicians. Biden is more than capable of handling Ryan if he disciplines himself during debates.

Actually, Palin brought the house down with an explosive speech during the 2008 convention. It wasn't until she was forced to address the inconsistencies in her speech that she melted.

I don't think Ryan will crash and burn like Palin, but it's helpful to remember that this time during 2008 Palin was being lauded in exactly the same way that Ryan is being lauded as a boost to the campaign.

I think we should just take a lesson from Nancy Pelosi, and elect Romney....and THEN try to figure out what he and Ryan are about. Does that sound stupid? It does to me.....

That's pretty much exactly what Romney and Ryan have said regarding what specific spending cuts will be made what specific tax deductions will be eliminated. Good to hear that you think Romney/Ryan's ideas are "stupid".

Guest Deisel

Actually, Palin brought the house down with an explosive speech during the 2008 convention. It wasn't until she was forced to address the inconsistencies in her speech that she melted.

I don't think Ryan will crash and burn like Palin, but it's helpful to remember that this time during 2008 Palin was being lauded in exactly the same way that Ryan is being lauded as a boost to the campaign.

OK Acworth. Who is going to CONSISTANTLY bring down the democrat house of lies, innuendo's and shameful pandering next week? You? The distortion, the stories of suffering are all gonna be played, daily. Are you going to dissect the speech's? This is truely incredible that you would venture this far out on a limb to discount the speechs at the RNC without a faint sigh of whats to come at the DNC.

Guest Deisel

When can we start lauding JOE BIDEN? When can we turn on the truth meter with the WORST VP ever? Want to compare him to Ryan? Lets allow the American people to see this match up.

Edited by Deisel

OK Acworth. Who is going to CONSISTANTLY bring down the democrat house of lies, innuendo's and shameful pandering next week? You? The distortion, the stories of suffering are all gonna be played, daily. Are you going to dissect the speech's? This is truely incredible that you would venture this far out on a limb to discount the speechs at the RNC without a faint sigh of whats to come at the DNC.

If Biden or Obama attack Ryan/Romney in that kind of dishonest attack then I'll criticize them for it.

Also, I said the speech on the whole was good, and that this kind of stuff is an unforced error. Do you think it's smart to attack Obama for not acting on the Simpson-Bowles commission?

What gets me here is Obama and wasserman shultz and co. can lie to the american people, daily, play the class warfare card, the race card, the down and out card and then if Ryan or Romney say something that you don't agree with, THEY"re out as if their ruining the country by standing up to this administration. The lies and deceit from this President, VP, and admin is historical. Add up all Obama's BROKEN PROMISES and its stretchs 3 full pages, small print.

I don't know man. After seeing what I have seen so far, the race card may be correct. Not on the politicians themselves, but many of the people listening to this stuff and accepting it.

Nice video. Care to defend the lies in Ryan's speech?

Simpson Bowles. Ryan is correct. The president did nothing. Ryan disagreed with Simpson Bowles but he offered an alternative solution.

GM Plant. Ryan is correct. President Obama stood in the plant during his campaign and told them if they elected him, the plant will be here for another one hundred years. Obama got elected. The plant is empty.

Simpson Bowles. Ryan is correct. The president did nothing. Ryan disagreed with Simpson Bowles but he offered an alternative solution.

GM Plant. Ryan is correct. President Obama stood in the plant during his campaign and told them if they elected him, the plant will be here for another one hundred years. Obama got elected. The plant is empty.

Ryan's vote ensured that the plan wouldn't be required to get a vote in congress. He voted against the plan because it raised revenue. To attack Obama for not bringing a plan that he helped kill is dishonest.

Obama did not say that he would retool that specific plant. You are trying to blame Obama for a company decision made before he even took office. It's a lie.

THE FACTS: Ryan himself asked for stimulus funds shortly after Congress approved the $800 billion plan, known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Ryan's pleas to federal agencies included letters to Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Labor Secretary Hilda Solis seeking stimulus grant money for two Wisconsin energy conservation companies

One of them, the nonprofit Wisconsin Energy Conservation Corp., received $20.3 million from the Energy Department to help homes and businesses improve energy efficiency, according to federal records. That company, he said in his letter, would build "sustainable demand for green jobs." Another eventual recipient, the Energy Center of Wisconsin, received about $365,000.

So Ryan attacks Obama for stimulus that he requested.

Ryan attacks Obama for Medicare cuts that he makes.

Ryan attacks Obama for a plant that closed before he took office.

Ryan attacks Obama for not acting on the debt plan that he helped kill and voted against.

Liar.

Ryan voted against the Stimulus bill. After the fact he requested funds. Not a lie.

Ryan attacked Obama for empty promises. "If I am elected this plant will be open for another 100 years." Not a lie.

Ryan attacked Obama for doing nothing on the debt issue. Obama created a debt commission, then did nothing. Ryan voted against Simpson Bowles, but offered an alternative solution. Where is the presidents solution? Not a lie.

Ryan says President Obama took $700 billion from Medicare and moved it to Obamacare. It is true Obama took $700 billion from Medicare and moved it to Obamacare. Not a lie.

Even though there is genuine difference between what Ryan and Obama did on them, you can argue that he is hypocritical on the Stimulus and Medicare, but he is not lying.

Edited by Flip Flop

Ryan voted against the Stimulus bill. After the fact he requested funds. Not a lie.

"I oppose this stimulus that I want for my own district.

Ryan attacked Obama for empty promises. "If I am elected this plant will be open for another 100 years." Not a lie.

That is not what Obama said, however. Ryan DID lie about what Obama promised.

Ryan attacked Obama for doing nothing on the debt issue. Obama created a debt commission, then did nothing. Ryan voted against Simpson Bowles, but offered an alternative solution. Where is the presidents solution? Not a lie.

Ryan killed the plan that he is attacking Obama for not presenting to Congress. Ryan voted against it in the commission and it's obvious he wouldn't have supported it in the House. What's the point of submitting something that is DOA? In addition, Obama HAS offered a deficit reduction plan, one that Boehner was on the verge of accepting and that Ryan helped destroy. Ryan seems to have a habit of attacking Obama for not passing plans that he helped prevent from getting passed. Hypocrite.

Ryan says President Obama took $700 billion from Medicare and moved it to Obamacare. It is true Obama took $700 billion from Medicare and moved it to Obamacare. Not a lie.

Actually, he did not. Those are not "cuts", they are reductions in spending. The same ones that Ryan puts in his budget. He's lying about them being "cuts" and is a hypocrite and dishonest for attacking Obama for the same "cuts" he has in his budget.

Even though there is genuine difference between what Ryan and Obama did on them, you can argue that he is hypocritical on the Stimulus and Medicare, but he is not lying.

He is lying. He is being dishonest. AND he is doing so while saying that he and Romney will be "honest" with Americans and will "lead" on the "tough" issues.

But keep defending his discredited bunk. Facts are important. Why can't you just say, "yeah, he's being a dishonest d-bag"?