Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'm not trying to tell you to go all doom and gloom or anything, just remember how previous seasons have went. The Falcons will not be world beaters and blow every opponent out. They return with the same offensive and defensive lines as last season. They return with essentially the same offense as last season. Even the defense has remained largely intact, but the point is, we've seen what this composition is capable of already. The birds will win some close games and lose others. Their will be a roller coaster ride of emotion from week to week depending on the outcomes.

So if Matty doesn't win a playoff game, I won't be surprised. I also won't be beating my chest if he does. Julio could regress massively and I would except that for a while before I start to question him, or he will play how he should and I'll be satisfied, but I won't be screaming and yelling in everybody's face about how good or bad he is. Turner could finally flame out and I'll reflect on just how good he was for us the last four years, or I could laugh hysterically at all those that questioned him if he blows up.

The point is, don't get too high, don't get too low. Maintain your emotions until there is something worth getting crazy over... like a Lombardi.

F that. We're going 16-0 and I say this every year. I'm going to be exstatic about wins and a bit down about losses. It's called being a human being. I don't need to mentally Prozac myself to enjoy the football season.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have one of the best teams in the NFL ,and we have a chance to win the super bowl. We have every right to be excited.

There are at least 10-12 other teams in the NFL who also have a good shot at the title - including 8 or 9 others in our conference.

Unfortunately some people on this board are so fixated with the final outcome (with anything less than a SB win being a catasptrophe), that they have lost sight of he fact that ultimately the sport is about enjoyment and entertainment,and the journey as we fight against overwhelming odds to try to be the 1 team in 32 that hoists the Lombardi.

Enjoy the ride and hope for the best. If it doesn't go our way, then so be it. Coming up short will be painful for a while, but then we get up and move on.

We have one of the best teams in the NFL ,and we have a chance to win the super bowl. We have every right to be excited.

There are at least 10-12 other teams in the NFL who also have a good shot at the title - including 8 or 9 others in our conference.

Unfortunately some people on this board are so fixated with the final outcome (with anything less than a SB win being a catasptrophe), that they have lost sight of he fact that ultimately the sport is about enjoyment and entertainment,and the journey as we fight against overwhelming odds to try to be the 1 team in 32 that hoists the Lombardi.

Enjoy the ride and hope for the best. If it doesn't go our way, then so be it. Coming up short will be painful for a while, but then we get up and move on.

2nd great post of yours i've read today.

The point is, don't get too high, don't get too low. Maintain your emotions until there is something worth getting crazy over... like a Lombardi.

In other words: "Set your expectations low so that you won't be disappointed"

You sir, by definition, are not a fan. dry.png

I'm all in. Have been since the days of 3-13. I will continue to keep my hopes and expectations amped up.

That is all. :D

Well like every preseason I can ever remember, I am VERY excited this season and why not? That is what preseason is all about: hoping your team will win a lot of games no matter how bad or good they were last season. Why hold back your enthusiasm? That is like saying "don't try to have too much fun."

I feel sorry for a lot of you who for some reason seem to have decided that the only measure of success for this team is to win the Lombardi. Consequently, some of you seem you can only have fun if we win a Lombardi. I think that is in large measure a mark of our society in general. When I was a youngster there was a general concept in sports that "it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." I know that philosophy is long dead, and it's a shame really. Because now it's all about winning only, and worse than that, you have to win it all or you suck. There is no room for enjoying the struggle to get there or celebrating the effort to just do your best even if it falls short of the victory.

The negativity surrounding the greatest run of success for this historically sorry team is a direct reflection of this distorted focus. I don't fault anyone for wanting to win it all: I also want to win the Lombardi. But if we NEVER win a Lombardi it won't curb my enthusiasm or fun I have following this team. At the end of the season, I will say what I have said the last 32 seasons: "maybe next year."

So the HECK with "curbing" your enthusiasm. Get PUMPED UP and EXPECT TO WIN EVERY GAME and the Lombardi. But hey if we don't, what is the big deal. The NFL is just a game: that is all. It's not life, it's not important and it is certainly nothing to take seriously. So just have fun and let it all hang out.

All I'm saying is Hope for the best, expect the worst. This team is good, I'm not saying otherwise. Definitely capable of winning it all, but if they don't, accept it. I'm happy with the new coordinators, but the head coach is the same so the overall philosophy will be the same. It's just every preseason I hear all this hype and all the folks getting excited, only to have the season start, trolls come out, good posters leave all because expectations weren't met. There are a lot of other good football teams out there that could beat this Falcons team any day. That's not to say the Falcons couldn't win those games, but as I said early, the Falcons are not world beaters.

And no, this is my own account, not an alternate account.

Wow, thats a terrible mentality, and Im a Cubs fan... You are allowed to actually enjoy the team and let yourself dream a little. Thats what sports are all about. And your saying all this before a season where we have the most talent in franchise history. Why do you even follow sports? Cheer up a little bit

I agree with the OP. While I do see potential in the Falcons, ironically with the offense more than the defense, I do not get my hopes high simply because I observe the Falcons collapse when it comes to playing in the playoffs.

Hey, if you want to be miserable during the season because you're convinced the Falcons will fail in the playoffs, suit yourself.

Myself, I'm going to enjoy the he## out the ride and assume that this is the year they finally breakthrough.

Hey, if you want to be miserable during the season because you're convinced the Falcons will fail in the playoffs, suit yourself.

Myself, I'm going to enjoy the he## out the ride and assume that this is the year they finally breakthrough.

Same here.

I'm going to believe we can go all the way until we're out of it....if we ever are out of it.

Watch this video and tell me that our offense was the only problem vs the Giants last year:

I think it is more correct to say the Falcons will win a playoff game when the Falcons decide they are ready to.

The defense played well enough to win that game.

I won't be miserable at all. The misery will befall on those who expect the Falcons to succeed in the playoffs. You do not see that my skepticism is really a higher form of optimism.

If the Falcons lose in the playoffs or fail to make it, it will be what I expected and will be no big deal for me. While on the other hand you will be disappointed since you were expecting them to do well in the first place.

If the Falcons do well in the playoffs, it won't be a big deal to you since that is what you expected anyway, while for me, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I won't be miserable at all. The misery will befall on those who expect the Falcons to succeed in the playoffs. You do not see that my skepticism is really a higher form of optimism. If the Falcons lose in the playoffs or fail to make it, it will be what I expected and will be no big deal for me. While on the other hand you will be disappointed since you were expecting them to do well in the first place. If the Falcons do well in the playoffs, it won't be a big deal to you since that is what you expected anyway, while for me, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Negative.

There will be no disappointment.

What I expect is for the Falcons to field a competitive team..which they will.

They will play hard and it will be a lot of fun to watch.

Sure, I want them to win and I will believe for the best.

Any number of situations and scenarios can present, but that's not going to dilute my enthusiasm and passion for the team.

I'm still gonna have fun................tongue.png

I won't be miserable at all. The misery will befall on those who expect the Falcons to succeed in the playoffs. You do not see that my skepticism is really a higher form of optimism.

If the Falcons lose in the playoffs or fail to make it, it will be what I expected and will be no big deal for me. While on the other hand you will be disappointed since you were expecting them to do well in the first place.

If the Falcons do well in the playoffs, it won't be a big deal to you since that is what you expected anyway, while for me, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Expecting your team to fail is a new and different definition of optimistic that I was previously unaware of.

I stand by my statement, be as miserable as you wish, just don't insist I join you or act as if it's a superior way to be a fan.

That is one of dumbest things Ive read on here.

The formula of getting down so you won't be let down doesn't appeal to me.

I have been through enough to know I can bounce back. Crawling off to lick my

wounds is not a new experience. So I am not going there until absolutely necessary.

Edited by LADBABY

That is one of dumbest things Ive read on here.
Convoluted and twisted logic at it's best.

"I'll never ask that hot girl out because I don't expect her to say yes. Now if she just happens to have a thing for me and throws herself at me then I'll be pleasantly surprised and things will work out great."

Make friends with your hand.

So it is the reverse of 2010 where the defense gave up first.

Well in 2010 the Falcons offense had a net of zero points in the first half, so I wouldn't say they played well enough to win. They had one drive for a TD. Other than that, they threw an INT in the end zone and an INT that was returned for a TD. So I'd say both the offense and defense were terrible in both halves of that game.

"I'll never ask that hot girl out because I don't expect her to say yes. Now if she just happens to have a thing for me and throws herself at me then I'll be pleasantly surprised and things will work out great."

Actually, that happens to me quite often.

I can't explain it. It's a gift - I don't own it.............cool.png

Well in 2010 the Falcons offense had a net of zero points in the first half, so I wouldn't say they played well enough to win. They had one drive for a TD. Other than that, they threw an INT in the end zone and an INT that was returned for a TD. So I'd say both the offense and defense were terrible in both halves of that game.

They were both terrible, but my recollection is that the D was on their heels by the 2nd and staggered by the time the offense shut it down in the 3rd. It is a team game, and our team has been outmatched the last two times we have made it in, in part because in 2010 we allowed Green Bay to convince us that we couldn't win and in 2011 because we went in believing we couldn't.

They were both terrible, but my recollection is that the D was on their heels by the 2nd and staggered by the time the offense shut it down in the 3rd. It is a team game, and our team has been outmatched the last two times we have made it in, in part because in 2010 we allowed Green Bay to convince us that we couldn't win and in 2011 because we went in believing we couldn't.

Our defense was gassed when Weems return TD put them right back on the field. They never recovered and the offense never got them significant rest.