You know, one of the reasons I like you as a poster is that we can disagree and not degenerate into nastiness.

I think that Koetter will force D's to guard the entire field, make the deep ball a regular part of the O rather than the max-protect-one -WR-out mentality of MM and get the 4th through 8th options more involved.

Also hold out hope for the Oline being better and giving Ryan a pocket to step up in.

Basically it sounds like a lose lose with you....

Let's put it this way - the regular season doesn't matter, unless the Falcons don't make the playoffs at all.

If the Falcons score 600 points during the regular season, it won't matter if the Falcons offense clams up in the post season.

I'm optimistic that this is the year the Falcons advance in the playoffs, but because I think Matt is ready to man up, not because I think Koetter is bringing some new philosophy to the offense.

The Falcons basically kept the same offense and added a few screen passes.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to tell you to go all doom and gloom or anything, just remember how previous seasons have went. The Falcons will not be world beaters and blow every opponent out. They return with the same offensive and defensive lines as last season. They return with essentially the same offense as last season. Even the defense has remained largely intact, but the point is, we've seen what this composition is capable of already. The birds will win some close games and lose others. Their will be a roller coaster ride of emotion from week to week depending on the outcomes.

So if Matty doesn't win a playoff game, I won't be surprised. I also won't be beating my chest if he does. Julio could regress massively and I would except that for a while before I start to question him, or he will play how he should and I'll be satisfied, but I won't be screaming and yelling in everybody's face about how good or bad he is. Turner could finally flame out and I'll reflect on just how good he was for us the last four years, or I could laugh hysterically at all those that questioned him if he blows up.

The point is, don't get too high, don't get too low. Maintain your emotions until there is something worth getting crazy over... like a Lombardi.

Uhhhhhh, yea ..........rolleyes.gif

I just can't get over the Debbie downers

Come on guys don't get excited don't be happy about our team, wallow in misery and try not to voice your happiness etc. etc.

WTF is the point in being the fan of a football team if you are never happy about the team or optimistic about it? It makes no sense at all to be in so much inner turmoil over a football team that you would urge others to TEMPER their OWN expectations on the upcoming football season.

It is what it is at this point, we are in good shape for a good year of football and now it is up to the entire team and other factors to see what happens.

Despite your claim you HAVE been negative this off season. Thats ok. Im not knocking it and you are one of the more grounded posters. But EVERY move made you have come around echoing FFS70. That alone is enough to come off as negative.smile.png

Well you've just been selective in your reading then. I didn't like the Koetter hire, but I loved the Nolan hire. I do think people overstate his track record considerably, but I I think he was the best DC available.

I liked the Falcons draft and I loved the Asante move, called it the best move of TD's career since he drafted Ryan. I didn't like the fact the Falcons didn't go after a LT in free agency, but hey, sometimes you just don't have the cap flexibility to do so.

Been plenty in the this off season that I've been happy about.

Here is the thing....for me.

It's not the coaches.

When Matt Ryan is ready to win a playoff game, the Falcons will win a playoff game.

Maybe this is the year.

SMH... You know as well as I do the rest of the team has to show up in the playoffs as well. Forgot that we had no running game and our WR's had skillets for hands against NYG?

MMs offense was a slow grind it out run the clock out offense. Unless you have a great defense it's not gonna get you a SB. Before we had a bend but don't break defense. With Nolan I expect us to have a really good defense. So it would have worked better with MM than BVG. Now with Koetter and Nolan both seem to be attackers and I can't wait for the season to start.

Let's put it this way - the regular season doesn't matter, unless the Falcons don't make the playoffs at all.

If the Falcons score 600 points during the regular season, it won't matter if the Falcons offense clams up in the post season.

I'm optimistic that this is the year the Falcons advance in the playoffs, but because I think Matt is ready to man up, not because I think Koetter is bringing some new philosophy to the offense.

The regular season always matters unless your simply not a football fan. Sounds like you'd be better off not keeping up with the team until the playoffs.

I enjoy the 17 weeks of regular season football and am looking forward to watching all the Falcons games

The regular season always matters unless your simply not a football fan. Sounds like you'd be better off not keeping up with the team until the playoffs.

I enjoy the 17 weeks of regular season football and am looking forward to watching all the Falcons games

I was referencing the challenge that somebody made me regarding how many points the Falcons would score, not the actual outcomes of the games.

The Falcons problem has been playing offense in the playoffs. They have performed quite well in the regular season.

I just can't get over the Debbie downers

Come on guys don't get excited don't be happy about our team, wallow in misery and try not to voice your happiness etc. etc.

WTF is the point in being the fan of a football team if you are never happy about the team or optimistic about it? It makes no sense at all to be in so much inner turmoil over a football team that you would urge others to TEMPER their OWN expectations on the upcoming football season.

It is what it is at this point, we are in good shape for a good year of football and now it is up to the entire team and other factors to see what happens.

After all football is not supposed to be fun .should be just grim analyisis and foreboding doom by us message board wonders, and dont forget , the only teams worth rooting for are the Steelers, cowboys and Pats .....rolleyes.gif

I don't tell any other fan how to be a fan.

I instantly ignore anyone who attempts to give me fan etiquette lessons.

The thing I'm finding interesting, and always find interesting, is how our roles on the board change from year to year.

In 2010, I was a troll because I said before the year that I didn't think the Falcons had enough playmakers to go all the way.

Last year I was a blind homer because I thought the Falcons just might peak in the post season.

Now people think I am a debbie downer because I'm not high on a coordinator that led one of the worst offenses in NFL history last year.

just dont see how some people say handcuffs werent OFF Ryan last post season

Ryan had 41 pass attempts vs NYG

You and Peyton both go with this line of thought....and you're both wrong.

You in particular swift know about the route tree. I've seen many posts of yours in the past couple of years where you broke down how little of the route tree Mularkey employed in his play calling....but more specifically how Mularkey called the digs, stops, square ins, and shrunken skinny posts all the time. Throw in how he didn't build a screen game at all and it's easy to see where the bulk of those "41 pass attempts" went.

A lot of Mularkey's passes were by design an extension of the running game. That's one of the main reasons Ryan's YPA got lower and lower the longer Mularkey was here.

Let's keep the discussion honest.

Just checked: Okay, his YPA did go up last year, but if flatlined to 6.5 in both '09 and '10.

Edited by Gritz

The thing I'm finding interesting, and always find interesting, is how our roles on the board change from year to year.

In 2010, I was a troll because I said before the year that I didn't think the Falcons had enough playmakers to go all the way.

Last year I was a blind homer because I thought the Falcons just might peak in the post season.

Now people think I am a debbie downer because I'm not high on a coordinator that led one of the worst offenses in NFL history last year.

geezus Kriest Peyton, he was working with a JUCO team and still managed to win a few games, I like what Ive seen out of him ........,

I don't tell any other fan how to be a fan.

I instantly ignore anyone who attempts to give me fan etiquette lessons.

It's a shame because more fans like you should. I was listening to 790 the zone this morning, and it only confirmed that we might have the worst fanbase in all of sports. You had fans of other teams calling in and calling our fans crazy. You'd think Matt threw a pick every throw. The good fans need to shame the crap fans into submission.

It's a good thing that my fanhood is based on the logo on the helmet, the red and black, and not the bandwagon. I'm at the point where the "Atlanta" in the name Atlanta Falcons doesn't matter to me anymore, because the city doesn't seem to give a crap about the team.

This is the most promising preseason I've seen since we've been under this regime, and here we are crying again.

From now on, when we don't win a Super Bowl, I'm going to start blaming fans like Muskoka and Swift, because it's just as asinine as anything they're whining about. Our suffering is karma for having a sh** fanbase. It's sad, because the few that are great fans like you, Tandy, Supes, and the other die-hards on this board deserve better.

It's a shame because more fans like you should. I was listening to 790 the zone this morning, and it only confirmed that we might have the worst fanbase in all of sports. You had fans of other teams calling in and calling our fans crazy. You'd think Matt threw a pick every throw. The good fans need to shame the crap fans into submission.

It's a good thing that my fanhood is based on the logo on the helmet, the red and black, and not the bandwagon. I'm at the point where the "Atlanta" in the name Atlanta Falcons doesn't matter to me anymore, because the city doesn't seem to give a crap about the team.

This is the most promising preseason I've seen since we've been under this regime, and here we are crying again.

From now on, when we don't win a Super Bowl, I'm going to start blaming fans like Muskoka and Swift, because it's just as asinine as anything they're whining about. Our suffering is karma for having a sh** fanbase. It's sad, because the few that are great fans like you, Tandy, Supes, and the other die-hards on this board deserve better.

LOL, nice nice post, I agree 100 %, could not have said it any better ? laugh.png

You and Peyton both go with this line of thought....and you're both wrong.

You in particular swift know about the route tree. I've seen many posts of yours in the past couple of years where you broke down how little of the route tree Mularkey employed in his play calling....but more specifically how Mularkey called the digs, stops, square ins, and shrunken skinny posts all the time. Throw in how he didn't build a screen game at all and it's easy to see where the bulk of those "41 pass attempts" went.

A lot of Mularkey's passes were by design an extension of the running game. That's one of the main reasons Ryan's YPA got lower and lower the longer Mularkey was here.

Let's keep the discussion honest.

Honestly, the Falcons kept Mularkey's entire offense. They just added screen passes, which are also an extension of the run game.

As far as the YPA thing, it went up last year by almost a full yard, but Matt bears some responsibility for choosing most often to make the "safe" throw.

Nobody complained about it too much when the Falcons were going 13-3 though.

Same story for many. If you knock down the opinion, knock down the person who wrote it.

With Koetter, it's not just his resume, but his being Smith's old buddy.

Lol fail again. Your in Ryan like Swifty poo or Mr Wrong. I agree Ryan has to keep getting better and developing, but with better protection and play calling we could have done better. Both schemes on offense and defense had to be tweaked if not completely revamped to be successful in the playoffs. MM definitely had the cuffs on MR and sucked at play calling plain and simple.

I appreciate it man, but folks who are down on the Falcons, or Ryan or any other player don't effect me one bit. I admit sometimes I don't understand why someone would follow a team if that team apparently causes them such misery, but I figure that's their issue.

It sure isn't mine.

It's a good time to be a Falcon fan.

Says the guy who still wallows in Bobby Petrino's falling? Practice what you presume to preach a little.

I was listening to 790 the zone this morning, and it only confirmed that we might have the worst fanbase in all of sports.

We really do. I'm not talking about the negativity. Our fanbase is a joke. Then again, the team's history is a joke, so what should we expect?

To the op:

Keep it to yourself

Lol fail again. Your in Ryan like Swifty poo or Mr Wrong. I agree Ryan has to keep getting better and developing, but with better protection and play calling we could have done better. Both schemes on offense and defense had to be tweaked if not completely revamped to be successful in the playoffs. MM definitely had the cuffs on MR and sucked at play calling plain and simple.

I am not hard on Ryan. I really like Matt Ryan. I just think he is the one who has to carry this offense in the post season, not the OC.